IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing a Tree Fern here in our Desert

greenthumb7

Does anybody here in our desert climate of Arizona know if there are any type of Tree Fern(s) that could be grown here? (We are known as a tropical desert garden) with being we have more going for us with humidity (as scant as it is) than most other deserts; and I'm wondering with protection from our harsh summer sun if anyone (albeit here in Arizona, or other deserts globally) has experimented with trying to do so; and succeeded with success; or not??? Thanks so much; and Happy Hump Day to all,  and Happy Gardening. 

Blechnum gibbum 'Silver Lady,' a popular "dwarf tree fern," is regularly available at HD or Lowe's (or both, can't remember) in the Coachella Valley around Palm Springs. Possibly they also stock it in warmer areas of Arizona. The potted nursery stock seem to do just fine under their shade cloth and I have no doubt that after a fashion (some careful acclimation) it would do fine in shade or early morning sun, planted in the ground in the low desert, as it would be easy to protect. They can take some winter cold as well.  As far as other species, you could try, slowly acclimate them in shade until they've grown a new set of tougher fronds in the lower humidity, and see how they fare. ..though hopefully someone here on the forum has direct experience with some of the other species of the larger tree ferns, and will pitch in with some concrete info. In any event, I think you'd need a perfect habitat for one of the big ones, probably under perfect canopy and with plentfiul moist mulch below and possibly intermittent misting to keep the area a bit more humid. But it might be a tough job.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

47 minutes ago, mnorell said:

Blechnum gibbum 'Silver Lady,' a popular "dwarf tree fern," is regularly available at HD or Lowe's (or both, can't remember) in the Coachella Valley around Palm Springs. Possibly they also stock it in warmer areas of Arizona. The potted nursery stock seem to do just fine under their shade cloth and I have no doubt that after a fashion (some careful acclimation) it would do fine in shade or early morning sun, planted in the ground in the low desert, as it would be easy to protect. They can take some winter cold as well.  As far as other species, you could try, slowly acclimate them in shade until they've grown a new set of tougher fronds in the lower humidity, and see how they fare. ..though hopefully someone here on the forum has direct experience with some of the other species of the larger tree ferns, and will pitch in with some concrete info. In any event, I think you'd need a perfect habitat for one of the big ones, probably under perfect canopy and with plentfiul moist mulch below and possibly intermittent misting to keep the area a bit more humid. But it might be a tough job.

No Silver Lady Ferns sold here that i have ever seen in local nurseries..  As far as Tree Ferns in general?  None will do well here long term ..unless you have a sizable grove of tall, dense trees for constant shade / to help trap some degree of humidity below, and wayy too much water to waste on them.. or your yard is a runoff retention basin.  Simply,  Humidity that is often in the teens ..and below,  and dew points just as low ( or even lower ) + our heat / moisture sapping winds = it's just too dry. 

Someone would also have to have a really good water filtration system to provide water that won't burn them. Far too much hassle and expense. 

Best to stick w/ desert adapted ferns such as Scaly Cloaks, Astrolepis, False Cloak ( Argyrochosma ), native Cliff Brake ( Pellaea ), and local Lip Fern species, Genus Myriopteris. Those can do alright, provided proper siting in a landscape here.

Tough or impossible to find most for sale, though some folks i know have a goal of changing that.

Thanks y'all, much obliged for the info. I'm wondering if they'll survive, and thrive in the more adjacent areas that might boarder our desert areas that may have a bit more rain season; but still warm enough at the same time not being too dry for such moisture loving plants as the tree ferns; or are there any similar like climates like that here in Arizona comparable to Florida, California, Gulf Coast areas? Or is it just too dry all around here in Arizona? Intermediate climate here in the state I guess I'm asking? Well, can't help to ask lol. Thanks again, and Happy Gardening.