IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fresh shipment from Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Fallen Munk

Excited that these made it through customs with no issues.  Bunch of trachy hybrids.  Seller threw in some extras as a gift.:)

plovdiv.jpg

• Like 8

Now the big question...To clean the fruit off or leave it on and plant them as is?  In the past I've cleaned off all fruit, but it's so time consuming, especially with this many seeds.  I'm thinking that I'm just going to put them in soil just like nature does.  Thoughts?

I usually put them in a sink of water and just clean them off with my hands. It’s not too time consuming. give them a brief soak in a mild bleach solution and then put them in community pots with some plastic wrap on top. Haven’t had any mold issues this way. 

• Like 1

I received my shipment from Bulgaria earlier this week also. I soaked them in water for 24hrs,  and after that the outer layer came right off just by rubbing a handful of seeds together in your palm.

• Like 1

Mine were seized by Canadian customs and later released. The package arrived wrapped in CBSA stickers and notice. By then the seeds had started to rot or turn, so I threw them in soil and waited.

Beware these are fast growing lol.

20220226_170523.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 7:11 PM, UncleBobbyB said:

I received my shipment from Bulgaria earlier this week also. I soaked them in water for 24hrs,  and after that the outer layer came right off just by rubbing a handful of seeds together in your palm.

I did that.  The only thing that comes off is the skin of the fruit.  I used to breed roaches to feed to my reptiles.  I wish I still had a colony because they could clean these off in a few hours.

On 2/25/2022 at 11:07 AM, Fallen Munk said:

Excited that these made it through customs with no issues. 

Was there a Phyto included with your shipment? Curious.

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2022 at 8:30 AM, Las Palmas Norte said:

Was there a Phyto included with your shipment? Curious.

No.  I took my chances.  Same with the princeps seeds that arrived from China today.  Got lucky in both instances.

• Like 1

Wow. Kiril is a busy man with all those crosses these days...

I recall ordering the Bulgarian Trachys like 10 years ago and

the package got here 2-3 months after it was sent, looked like it had 

traveled the world by the time it got here.

• 2 weeks later...