• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IPS Hawaiian Biennial 'save the date' roll call!

Mandrew968

Happy New Year Palmtalk!  I am posting to give everyone a heads up on the 2022 Biennial.

Who: IPS members only and due to logistics, max 150 people. 

What: the IPS Biennial Hawaii 2022

When: October 9th through the 15th of 2022. 

Where: Oahu and Hilo with pre and post tours planned for Maui and Kaua'i. Special notables include Lyon Arboretum, Foster Botanical, Floribunda and Leilani Estates and more.

Why: because it's Hawaii and we love super palmy places!

More details to come but if you plan on making it, save the date, and check in, below!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I expect to participate. But it's kinda cheating since I live there part time. Would love to see some IPS folks come see the extreme palminess of the islands. You won't be disappointed.

• Like 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I have been to Lyon hundreds of times over the past 25 yrs, I know where lots and lots of hidden gems are. Would love to help show some of them, if 

there is not another guide available.  It has to be one of the best collections of palms on the planet, Thanks to Ray Baker. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Planning on being there, 1st Biennial and 1st time to Hawaii! Should be phenomenal, seeing Floribunda in person should be epic. I will have to research the sites mentioned.

I also would be willing to take anyone to see Pritchardia kahukuensis, and/or Pritchardia bakeri in habitat.  The Kahuku trail is more doable there is only one

P. kahukuensis that I have found and many P. marti.  P. bakeri in our valley is a serious hike, but worth it. There are P. marti up there as well . aloha

• Like 3

Hi All!  I am not new to IPS, nor being a reader of Palmtalk, but I am new to being part of the chat.  I am very interested in joining the Biennial in Hawaii.  Has registration opened yet?  Would a spouse need to be an IPS member as well?  Thank you!!!

Hi Aqualight3! Registration is not yet open, but I understand it will start in the next couple of months. 

As to membership requirements I will leave that to the IPS Biennial committee to clarify. 

I am glad you are interested in attending. I have loved every trip with the IPS.

Cindy Adair

On 1/14/2022 at 9:42 AM, Aqualight3 said:

Thank you for responding, Cindy!  The trip sounds like a palm lovers dream come true!  :)

As long as you are an IPS member,  you can sign up and bring whoever you wish. And if you like palms, I think this trip will be insane. If all goes according to plan, registration will start march 1st. 

• Like 1

No excuse for me not to come.  Enjoyed the last time everyone was here in the islands.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

I used to live walking distance from Lyon arboretum, it is an amazing place, I flew to O'ahu for a job interview in 1993 and visited Lyon, it sealed the deal and I took the job!

• Like 3

This would be a truly amazing experience, I know a few Australians who would love to attend, hopefully we will be there. :)   

• Like 1

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

I know its early for this but my partner is NOT a plant person at all but is interested in going to Hawaii for the Scuba Diving.  Does anyone know if scuba diving will be an option at the resort(s) we stay at while we go Palm gazing during the day?  Perhaps other spouses that are not plant people may be interested as well?  Thanks.

Jeff

On 1/18/2022 at 11:01 PM, Lowey said:

This would be a truly amazing experience, I know a few Australians who would love to attend, hopefully we will be there. :)   

A Biennial wouldn’t be the same without a big Aussie contingent!

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

I have been discussing this with many of my friends and fellow board members and we are expecting this event to sell out very quickly. Unfortunately, due to island restrictions and logistics, we are capped at 150 attendees. If you want to see some of the most palmy gardens in the world, with some of the premiere palm experts and aficionados, make those arrangements-can't wait to see you there!

• Like 1

I'm considering the trip too.  It's hard to imagine a gathering like this at this time...with this damn virus running rampant.  

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

On 1/20/2022 at 2:45 PM, palmhort said:

I know its early for this but my partner is NOT a plant person at all but is interested in going to Hawaii for the Scuba Diving.  Does anyone know if scuba diving will be an option at the resort(s) we stay at while we go Palm gazing during the day?  Perhaps other spouses that are not plant people may be interested as well?  Thanks.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I am not part of the planning, and don't know which hotels will be booked -- but during the stay on Oahu your partner might individually, or with another dive enthusiast in the group, book a boat trip to do some wreck dives off Honolulu. On the Big Island portion, I believe the itinerary sticks to the east side, but the best diving is on the west side. If your partner can rent a car and drive to the Kailua-Kona area, there are many dive operators. I've gone with Jack's Dive Locker a few times. One of the most exciting dives is the night dive to see manta rays up close -- truly mind blowing.

Get a glimpse of Hawaii Island underwater life with this live webcam: 

At the moment the glass dome over the camera needs a good cleaning! (algae) But stick around, the camera rotates to several viewpoints. The location is south of the Kona airport in about 30 ft. of water. I have seen several kinds of shark, spotted eagle rays, moray eels,  infinite patterns of butterfly fish, iridescent turquoise parrotfish, the rare manta cruising through, turtles, and in a rare instance, dolphins on the live screen. Sometimes this time of year you can hear humpback whales singing in the distance. Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

For those who would like to do ocean activities,  the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel has amazing snorkeling right from the hotel. Also, there is a free day and another half day for more swimming opportunities. Lastly, the pre and post tour has an option for Molokai crater. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Flights between the islands are plentiful and not that expensive. And hotels and B&Bs are many.

So - as long as you are coming, there is no reason not to come early or stay late a few days and enjoy some of the other sights and activities these islands have to offer.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

1 hour ago, Dypsisdean said:

Flights between the islands are plentiful and not that expensive. And hotels and B&Bs are many.

So - as long as you are coming, there is no reason not to come early or stay late a few days and enjoy some of the other sights and activities these islands have to offer.

I'm coming to see ya, buddy!

On 1/22/2022 at 12:47 PM, Mandrew968 said:

I'm coming to see ya, buddy!

Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

While Hawaii I am sure will be fantastic, it was disappointing that the Reunion Islands trip had to be scrubbed. Will that be revisited for a future Biennial along with post trips to Madagascar? 

Hot and humid Loxahatchee Florida. 16 miles inland from

West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County

15 hours ago, Mark@PalmBeach said:

While Hawaii I am sure will be fantastic, it was disappointing that the Reunion Islands trip had to be scrubbed. Will that be revisited for a future Biennial along with post trips to Madagascar? 

Mark, the Reunion Biennial was unfortunately already a failure before the pandemic.  COVID just made bad worse.  The lack of registrants (primarily because of cost) makes revisiting that option very unlikely.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

On 1/12/2022 at 6:11 PM, colin Peters said:

I also would be willing to take anyone to see Pritchardia kahukuensis, and/or Pritchardia bakeri in habitat.  The Kahuku trail is more doable there is only one

P. kahukuensis that I have found and many P. marti.  P. bakeri in our valley is a serious hike, but worth it. There are P. marti up there as well . aloha

Very interested! -Jason

• Like 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

On 1/30/2022 at 7:42 AM, Elvis Cruz said:

Ken's House of Pancakes, here I come!

Keiki loco moco, spam, over easy with black coffee  !!!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 1:59 PM, Mandrew968 said:

Happy New Year Palmtalk!  I am posting to give everyone a heads up on the 2022 Biennial.

Who: IPS members only and due to logistics, max 150 people. 

What: the IPS Biennial Hawaii 2022

When: October 9th through the 15th of 2022. 

Where: Oahu and Hilo with pre and post tours planned for Maui and Kaua'i. Special notables include Lyon Arboretum, Foster Botanical, Floribunda and Leilani Estates and more.

Why: because it's Hawaii and we love super palmy places!

More details to come but if you plan on making it, save the date, and check in, below!

Andrew, 

We are anxious for more details, when can you share more? Like to have time to decide on pre and post options. Really excited to make this trip!

Barb and I are looking forward to visiting Hawaii for our first time. Fingers crossed after Covid-19 scuppered our being able to get to the 2020 Biennial in Reunion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Corey and I are definitely considering the trip and trying to work out logistics. Would be amazing to finally meet some of you face to face and we have both never been to Hawaii! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PalmMom007 said:

Corey and I are definitely considering the trip and trying to work out logistics. Would be amazing to finally meet some of you face to face and we have both never been to Hawaii! 

Andrea and I have been on many. Dating back to 1992 I think was my first one.  We did attend the the last one in Hawaii back in 2004. These are well planned trips and a once in a lifetime chance to see some of the best private collections and Botanical Gardens these two islands have to offer. Would LOVE to FLY FIRST CLASS!!! Lol....

• Like 3

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I heard from our IPS president Robert Blenker yesterday that he is still hard at work trying to negotiate contracts for lodging and transportation to give us the best value.

We all know that HI is not a third world country like some of our past bargain travel plus inflation and all the COVID challenges.

Last time I checked airfare from Puerto Rico was not outrageously priced so that’s a plus.

So I still have no information at all regarding final numbers, but am determined to go.

For me life’s too short to miss the chance for more forever memories.

• Like 5

Cindy Adair

Are there any updates on this trip?

Itinerary and when registration open?

Interested in going - have been waiting for itinerary to be posted…

thanks, Eve (friend of Rob Branch)

Hi Eve, 

The itinerary is complete, and fabulous. It will be posted soon. Registration details are also forthcoming in the next few weeks. I am thrilled to learn that you and Rob will be joining us. Hanging out with Rob is always a highlight for me at the biennials, ever since I met him in the wee hours of the morning at the airport in Singapore, on our voyage to Borneo. By the way, it was a privilege to tour your garden last November. 

Andy

I'm strongly considering attending as well. Cindy's "life’s too short to miss the chance for more forever memories" comment keeps ringing in my ears.

My husband would need to stay home with the kids, so I'm considering inviting a plant-loving friend who lives part time in Kauai. My friend has some minor physical issues however (can walk fine, but probably not up to a big hike). Do you know how physically taxing the outings would be? I could do most outings... just a debate whether to invite my plant-loving friend or not.

• Upvote 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

So glad to hear you and your friend might be coming!

About the physical effort involved, on all the Biennial trips I have attended there have been options, so short, medium or long hikes and certainly lots to do for folks who just wanted to join the group for meals and hang out at the hotels. 

I get hints that there are not as many crazy long hike options as this is not Borneo or Madagascar, but sadly I have not seen the final itinerary so can only pass on the above.

For those of us who truly want the long hikes into wilderness I would be surprised if there aren’t pre or post or free day choices with or without IPS involvement to make everyone excited.

I will plan to stay extra days to be sure I experience as much as possible after my long flights!

• Like 2

Cindy Adair