IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

how to germinate bismarckia nobilis

Gregoryy3

The ones I germinated I put in their own deep pots then kept damp in a shady spot under the bamboo.  Had about a 30 percent germination rate.  I did not clean the seeds but the pulp was already dried when I collected the seeds.  The deep pots I use are 4"x4"x14"

The one below I recently put in the ground.  The others I will probably sell or trade.

PXL_20211023_122637000.jpg

• Like 3

I’ve tried several different ways including the baggie method, bottom heat etc. I had the best luck using a similar method to what Scott mentions above. I did clean my seed but I still had some minor mold issues. If I had to do it again I think I would clean them then sun dry them for a day before I started germinating them. I started some in trays and some in some small containers directly in peat and perlite. I had to transfer them to tall treepots once the roots spouted. The root is very delicate and if you break it the seedling probably wont survive. Using that method the seeds sprouted in 4 to 6 weeks . 

However, If it’s not going to be consistently above 80° during the day and around 70 at night for the next eight weeks where you live then I think you will probably have to use an external heating method. 

8D4913A1-DA81-4596-A917-A422C90234BB.jpeg

E94E0722-F428-404E-867D-BE87081D4265.jpeg

• Like 6

For these and their relatives (Hyphaene, Medemia, Latania, etc.), I use a plastic tub and put down about 3 inches of moist germination medium.  At that point, I place the seeds gently in rows and then cover them with a few more inches of germination medium.  My typical mix is 50/50 soil and perlite for germination.  I set the tub on top of a heat mat, crank it up, and check it in a month.  It's good to have some 4x14's around as @Scott W and @D. Morrowii mentioned due the length of the initial root on these.

• Like 4

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F