Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Tallest palms in texas


Kentuckypalms

Recommended Posts

What is the tallest palm you have seen in Texas. I know in Florida lightning gets them, is that an issue usually here too for tall palms?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those Washingtonia Robusta were south of Mission, Texas. Which is about 70 miles inland from the coast. South Texas rarely gets hit by high powered hurricanes. They always seem to go after Houston or Louisiana 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Those Washingtonia Robusta were south of Mission, Texas. Which is about 70 miles inland from the coast. South Texas rarely gets hit by high powered hurricanes. They always seem to go after Houston or Louisiana 

They don't look any taller than others I have seen in the RGV.  I have seen scenes like this in many other RGV locations.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The entire length of US-83 in Cameron and Hidalgo counties is littered with sky high robusta, there's a particularly impressive stretch between Weslaco and Pharr IIRC 

  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Xenon said:

The entire length of US-83 in Cameron and Hidalgo counties is littered with sky high robusta, there's a particularly impressive stretch between Weslaco and Pharr IIRC 

+1. The photo being shown is not overly impressive for anywhere in the RGV. Run of the mill standard stuff. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

They don't look any taller than others I have seen in the RGV.  I have seen scenes like this in many other RGV locations.

 

11 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

+1. The photo being shown is not overly impressive for anywhere in the RGV. Run of the mill standard stuff. 

Yes, there many tall Robusta palms in the RGV, most are in an RV park, in front of a trailer, or a run down house. I posted this picture as a good example. What have you posted? What has anyone else posted in this thread?

The whole cold hardy section is over run with a bunch of half dead Filibustas. I can barely come in this section anymore. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

 

Yes, there many tall Robusta palms in the RGV, most are in an RV park, in front of a trailer, or a run down house. I posted this picture as a good example. What have you posted? What has anyone else posted in this thread?

The whole cold hardy section is over run with a bunch of half dead Filibustas. I can barely come in this section anymore. 

This was not a knock on the photo posted, just an assessment that the picture is not out of the ordinary for South Texas.  I haven't been there in a while, otherwise I would have posted one.  Heck, I have seen palms almost this tall in neighborhoods in South San Antonio, 250 miles to the north.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

This was not a knock on the photo posted, just an assessment that the picture is not out of the ordinary for South Texas.  I haven't been there in a while, otherwise I would have posted one.  Heck, I have seen palms almost this tall in neighborhoods in South San Antonio, 250 miles to the north.

Then why not post pictures or something of substance instead of your typical?

FD5029E9-F349-43DD-99C8-D5E3AD73AA9F.thumb.jpeg.69a3e24bf37757d19b61fcfa98e3355e.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

Then why not post pictures or something of substance instead of your typical?

FD5029E9-F349-43DD-99C8-D5E3AD73AA9F.thumb.jpeg.69a3e24bf37757d19b61fcfa98e3355e.jpeg

Really. You’re pulling up a quote from almost two months ago?  What did you memorize what I posted and save it to your computer for later use???  I don’t even remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday, let alone what some anonymous poster said two months ago. 
 

Lighten up. No ill will was intended by any of my posts. Ever. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

Really. You’re pulling up a quote from almost two months ago?  What did you memorize what I posted and save it to your computer for later use???  I don’t even remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday, let alone what some anonymous poster said two months ago. 
 

Lighten up. No ill will was intended by any of my posts. Ever. 

I clicked on your history and that was among the first posts after this thread. I don’t really care. You can post your opinion/experience, but maybe take pictures as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many of the tallest palms in the Rio Grande Valley are protected from wind, next to buildings.   There is one gigantic Royal Cuban on the west side of a multi-story hotel on South Padre Island.   I am not sure if it survived the last freeze.  (I am happy to report that the Royal Cuban palms at the University of Texas in Brownsville looked healthy. )  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Graydon said:

Many of the tallest palms in the Rio Grande Valley are protected from wind, next to buildings.   There is one gigantic Royal Cuban on the west side of a multi-story hotel on South Padre Island.   I am not sure if it survived the last freeze.  (I am happy to report that the Royal Cuban palms at the University of Texas in Brownsville looked healthy. )  

There are some royals in the RGV in the 60-70 ft+ range that might eclipse many of the robusta within the next decade or two if there isn't a really bad freeze. 

Photo from 2020 in Brownsville 

20200618_111106.thumb.jpg.68b96f665b7407427e87facbf8352a94.jpg

Those SPI royals you mentioned (Radisson/Isla Grande) were already 7 stories tall when I first saw them in 2010:

IMGA0257-1.jpg

Photo (not mine) from 2011 near Harlingen 

royals.jpg

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 6

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Xenon your like a Texas palm encyclopedia !!! You always bring great content to the cold hardy section ty 

T J 

  • Like 2

T J 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Xenon was posting when he was only 14!

  • Like 2

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say about thirty percent of Royal Cuban palms survived the 2021 February freeze in the Rio Grande Valley.     Still, many look quite stressed.    The one I mention on South Padre looks much better than most.     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Graydon said:

The one I mention on South Padre looks much better than most.     

Good to hear! Didn't look so good a few weeks post freeze

1301309859_suthpadre.thumb.jpg.cdbd2b22f10843d4d19c94f3e6e573d3.jpg

And a recent-ish pic in Brownsville which was the warmest spot in the state 

royal.thumb.jpg.2447cf976a8f765cce094c5a008b0337.jpg

 

photos by Richard Travis 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

This has got to be tallest one north of US 290. First showed signs of life early august and is growing steadily, even without any recent precipitation 

image1.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...