IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best Palms to grow indoors?

EJ;)

Remodeling many areas of my house. 

Want to add some beautiful indoor tropical plants to mess my out door jungle. 

Im in zone 9b in northern California. If that makes any difference. I keep my windows and doors open daily. 

Dont mind wheeling patio containers inside in the winter either. 

Kentias, most chamaedoreas, l. Weddellaniun, Rhapsis Excelsea are all doing well for me. I've got a thread here called Indoor Squad with all of my inside palms on it. 

My cat palm is a beast. Sits under a grow light - sorry if this gets wordy, but my dog Sancho won't drink out of a bowl, he drinks out of big Taco Cabana cups. When I have to refill and/or change his water cup out, I dump the water into my cat palm. It was a 3 foot plant when I bought it last summer, now it's almost as tall as me. Pics in that thread. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, EJ;) said:

Remodeling many areas of my house. 

Want to add some beautiful indoor tropical plants to mess my out door jungle. 

Im in zone 9b in northern California. If that makes any difference. I keep my windows and doors open daily. 

Dont mind wheeling patio containers inside in the winter either. 

Do they need to be pet friendly?

11 hours ago, amh said:

Do they need to be pet friendly?

no. No inside animals in my home. I do have chickens that free range outside. but they don't bother my palms. A barn cat who basically keeps my rodent population down. He is a good mouser. Necessary when you live out in the country! and a lazy dumb dog who sleeps all day lol. she wouldnt hurt a fly. She is afraid of my chickens lol 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EJ;) said:

A barn cat who basically keeps my rodent population down. He is a good mouser. Necessary when you live out in the country! and a lazy dumb dog who sleeps all day lol. she wouldnt hurt a fly. She is afraid of my chickens lol 

That's the only feline I would tolerate!  :D Even my cat palms are outside!  But like John said they are good indoor palms.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

Most of the Chamaedorea genus will work, Dysis lutescens, Phoenix roebelenii if you have a bright area, also consider cycads, ferns, tree ferns, and some of the softer yuccas will work too.

Be careful about the chickens getting into the fertilizer; I had a leghorn that insisted on eating citrus fertilizer.

I have a Spindle Palm in my office too. I kinda took some heat when I posted about it, they told me it was too leggy and would look like crap in no time, etc etc but whatever. It was 15 bucks and it's in the window and pushing a new spear, albeit slowly. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Philly J said:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCpfZbDdbcZMY9rT_H8scoHw

i am up to 20 species, all indoors 9 months of the year. 

Do i need to start a YouTube channel too? It'd honestly be about 70% Sancho, 5% me screaming obscenities at the tv, and 25% wholesome palmy goodness. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Do i need to start a YouTube channel too? It'd honestly be about 70% Sancho, 5% me screaming obscenities at the tv, and 25% wholesome palmy goodness. 

Yes!!!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Philly J said:

Yes!!!

First video is gonna be 3 hours of Sancho snoring while I'm screaming at the Cubs. 

8 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

First video is gonna be 3 hours of Sancho snoring while I'm screaming at the Cubs. 

Live stream idea.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, amh said:

Live stream idea.

IMG_20210613_105828.jpg

• Like 1