IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minor watering during heat

ColumbusPalm

Hi All! 

I hope I don’t get annoying with all of my newbie questions. 

We have unseasonably hot weather the next 7 days. Upper 80s and lower 90s and no rain. 

When people say give the minors a lot of water, does that mean every morning? Every other morning? Or what? 

I really appreciate it! 

Nate 

• Like 2

If they're established for a few months, you can ignore them completely.  Being you're in Columbus, and that you never really get that dry, you can probably just ignore them even if you just planted them and watered them once.  You'll only need to consider winter protection.  These are native to my area. They'll survive months of +100F everyday without a drop of water. You're not gonna do anything to them in Columbus besides freeze them.  My in-laws live in Worthington. Go Bucks. 

• Like 2

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Can't hurt and probably is good for them but I would not worry. These are tough palms and you don't need to do anything for them to be fine. I have S minor growing here from up north and I don't water them even when we hit days of triple digits for a few weeks with no rain.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, buffy said:

If they're established for a few months, you can ignore them completely.  Being you're in Columbus, and that you never really get that dry, you can probably just ignore them even if you just planted them and watered them once.  You'll only need to consider winter protection.  These are native to my area. They'll survive months of +100F everyday without a drop of water. You're not gonna do anything to them in Columbus besides freeze them.  My in-laws live in Worthington. Go Bucks. 

Oh wow ok thanks. Hoping for a mild winter but I do plan to protect at least their first winter. No kidding, small world. Go bucks! 

23 minutes ago, Swolte said:

Can't hurt and probably is good for them but I would not worry. These are tough palms and you don't need to do anything for them to be fine. I have S minor growing here from up north and I don't water them even when we hit days of triple digits for a few weeks with no rain.

Thank you! I’m trying to get them as happy and established as I can this season. 

They are indeed tough. Here we've had extreme drought the past 2-3 months (1/10" measurable rain) and temps have been in the 80s-90s. Your Sabals laugh at 7 days with no rain.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It’s always sunny and dry. Mine are happy with water thrice weekly. I feel like they’d easily survive on less. I forgot to water them sometimes. They look the same. 

• Like 1

I don’t have any established sabals but I did have some seedlings that I pulled from the ground in a pot and the soil mixture never dried up, it was a constant damp or wet soil mix and the seedlings loved it and began to look more healthy. 

I had a small Sabal palmetto a few years back that when it rained would sit in standing water and all it did was help it grow quicker. They love water but also can take the dryness and heat. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sabal minor grow along creek beds and in marshland. You cannot overwater them especially when the soil temperatures are above 70F and they will grow more rapidly with fertilizer.

• Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

8 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Sabal minor grow along creek beds and in marshland. You cannot overwater them especially when the soil temperatures are above 70F and they will grow more rapidly with fertilizer.

Absolutely yes to this.. I have a few S. Minors toward the back of our property which during this weeks 5" of rain gets a torrent of water and the spear movement and growth is incredible compared to ones in the front of our property which get rain and no torrential flow.. These literally can't be overwatered and they do grow a lot quicker with water... the more the better.

• Like 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

You'd have to be an absolute Cretan to kill a S.minor.  Have more faith in yourself. Flood it twice a week and go drink a beer mate.

• Like 2