IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana

realarch

Say that three times as fast as you can. What? 

Anyway, just beautiful little understory palms. From seedling to adult they always look perfect. Not rare or uncommon, but a nice specimen or background palm. The fact that they only get six feet tall, (2m), is a real plus. Mine alternate from simple to entire leaves and the flowers have a strong garlic smell. The natural pollinator are bats, hence the ‘vampire palm’ name, and for years I got only two viable seeds out of thousands of flowers. Then Brazilian cardinals started showing up and are attracted to the flowers, now I get seed all the time. The birds, for whatever reason started migrating from the northern islands in the last few years and are now a common species here in east Hawaii. Enough rambling, here are some photos.

Tim

C531232A-417B-4F4A-9426-8089919703E4.jpeg

934A5C4D-B39B-4EF6-BCAB-3444FB0422CC.jpeg

A235B9C4-9F7C-4BB0-8D2E-B8605FA31B93.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

A couple more, need to touch up the orange paint on the ole shovel.

Tim

29DF7C7D-8459-4A3F-A9E9-5E7781CF6CBF.jpeg

07D27C83-13A4-4FC5-A502-433837EAE163.jpeg

B89A2592-BC32-43A5-91AE-3B66B121F93E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow Tim, that is beautiful. I remember trying to grow this one in my area, but just could not get it to go. Funny, I always thought of it as a small understory palm, but using your shovel for scale shows that it’s pretty darn big. Great looking palm...

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

19 hours ago, realarch said:

Say that three times as fast as you can. What? ....

Cal-Lip-Tro ahGhinny  Gees brehg tee-ahna...

It is a lot of syllables. This species is a long time favorite of mine and your plants are flawless. It also grows well here in S. Florida and may be kept perfect in a pot or most landscapes.

We saw this species in habitat during the '08 Biennial in Costa Rica. Seeing a lot of them sprawled across the forest floor was amazing. In addition to being pollinated by bats, the undivided leaves serve as a daytime 'game hide' for them. During a trek along one path, we came across one specimen that had a distinctive folded leaf. It was bent at the rachis and was hanging down, almost like a tent. The attendee group that was there began to guess why it was like that, so we took turns peering under the folded leaf and found a bat, hanging upside down, feet clamped onto the peak of the 'tent'. It knew how to chew the rachis just enough to fold it over, but not to break it, forming its camp for the day. After a couple attempts at taking its photo, we left it to sleep. We pointed it out to the guides and the other attendees and continued on.

Ryan

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

South Florida

Thanks Ryan, that is pretty cool. Antidotes like this one adds so much to the general culture and creates interest. I’ll remember that when giving my next palm tour.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks John, read Ryan’s post above….interesting.

Thanks Bret, maybe a well protected shady spot would work. Probably would make a great potted plant as well.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 1 year later...

Looks like Ryan confirmed its viability in South Florida in an earlier thread!

What you look for is what is looking