Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia robusta pot bound


LunaBlue

Recommended Posts

Hi, new to the forum and palms in general. 

I got this washingtonia robusta and was acclimatizing it when it started yellowing several fronds. I was super careful about watering, so couldn't be an overwatering issue. Possibly also shipping stress?

Today I pulled it out of it's pot and turns out it was pretty root bound. And as such was not getting enough water maybe. Untangled the root ball a bit and potted up. Well draining potting mix.

Any advice on how to help it survive? It will go out for the summer once the weather will be warmer. Location Estonia, so will stay in pot.  Currently it is in the corner of east-south facing window. Is getting some hours of sun. I have read that they are pretty tough, so hope will keep on growing.

Second question: does robusta usually grow side shoots? Or is this some multi trunk cultivar? Getting two new shoots off the main stem. 

Thank you! 

PXL_20210415_064041542.jpg

PXL_20210415_065653333.jpg

PXL_20210415_070424060.jpg

PXL_20210415_081533691.jpg

PXL_20210415_081554888.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Washingtonia are 100% solitary, so they will never produce offshoot. The only way you would see a double or triple Washingtonia is if they were installed into a group planting or if multiple seeds were germinated in the same pot and never seperated. Not sure what your other plants are in the pot but they dont look like any type of palm.
Will need to buy a larger pot, not too much larger than the current one but definitely bigger.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa, 1 S. bermudana, 1 L. nitida

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@JLM Thank you for your advice! That's why I was surprised about the new growth as it is supposed to be solitary. I had a closer look and one of the shoots look like it was a wider stem (5 cm wide) that was cut off and this is the growth from the middle of that stem, so probably case of multiple seeds. Will trim these. 

PXL_20210415_142303740.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LunaBlue said:

@JLM Thank you for your advice! That's why I was surprised about the new growth as it is supposed to be solitary. I had a closer look and one of the shoots look like it was a wider stem (5 cm wide) that was cut off and this is the growth from the middle of that stem, so probably case of multiple seeds. Will trim these. 

PXL_20210415_142303740.jpg

Looks like whatever nursery you got it from cut the other palms that sprouted in the pot with that one, and they are coming back to life. If it wouldnt be such a task, i would try to seperate them, you would have 3 washingtonia, but that would be pretty difficult at that size.

  • Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa, 1 S. bermudana, 1 L. nitida

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JLM said:

Looks like whatever nursery you got it from cut the other palms that sprouted in the pot with that one, and they are coming back to life. If it wouldnt be such a task, i would try to seperate them, you would have 3 washingtonia, but that would be pretty difficult at that size.

Yeah, not impressed with the nursery since I specifically got single stem to avoid separating.

Just separated some kentia palms and too soon to go through that again, especially with this root ball.  Wouldn't know even, where to start.

Any thoughts on what will happen with the smaller palm roots, if I trim them? Wouldn't they start rotting eventually and cause damage to the main palm?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, LunaBlue said:

Yeah, not impressed with the nursery since I specifically got single stem to avoid separating.

Just separated some kentia palms and too soon to go through that again, especially with this root ball.  Wouldn't know even, where to start.

Any thoughts on what will happen with the smaller palm roots, if I trim them? Wouldn't they start rotting eventually and cause damage to the main palm?

Killed my two larger Dypsis Lutescens that I separated from their clump.  I feel your pain and I don’t want to do that either.  I have an alpha and omega in my pot and I don’t think I ever want to separate unless one is diseased and killing the other 

F0C5893C-DBDA-4DFD-BB34-D8E04EB5A267.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

@Philly J Yours look good. How old are they? I guess I would consider separating yours since they are still young.

I would love to have Dypsis lutescens, but can't imagine separating those twenty-something clumps as they are usually sold. Have to consider growing from seed, though some patience is needed. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, LunaBlue said:

@Philly J Yours look good. How old are they? I guess I would consider separating yours since they are still young.

I would love to have Dypsis lutescens, but can't imagine separating those twenty-something clumps as they are usually sold. Have to consider growing from seed, though some patience is needed. 

 

Thanks!  Just under a year, so all decent fan  growth has been under a grow light during my Saskatchewan winter.  They are so so so ready to see real sun for the first time in their lives LOL

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...