IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Home Depot Queen Palms

Reyes Vargas

I was just at my local Home Depot and saw these queens for $70.  Is it just me or is that a lot of money for such a small palm?

20210315_105300.jpg

20210315_105254.jpg

Yikes, I'd say so especially for HD. I picked up a similar sized one from HD for $49.99 CAD last year. Usually us Canadians are the ones getting gouged on palm prices...

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

Home Depot has a pay by scan type of policy for plants. So the grower ( Costa, the biggest tropical plant grower that ships to Texas), only gets paid when the plant sells. When the plants look bad they are just thrown in trash.

Costa must assume the have no competition in Texas tight now, and they are probably right. I saw Walmart had queens that were only 10 bucks cheaper and were smaller. I didn’t see who the grower was, but I don’t think Walmart does that. Lowe’s didn’t.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

I paid $57 for my much smaller one that's just now growing it's first pinnate leaf last year. But tbf I bought it from Plantvine, I was quarantined, and I didn't know better. 

• Like 1

WAAAAAY too small for that price. The 6.5g Queens at Lowe's here is $45, about $80 for 13g i think. 

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I've seen them (either big box store you choose) sell basically the same sized palm in a 7-gal container at one price and in a 15-gal container at a much higher price.  By the way, happy birthday @JLM!

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

2 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I've seen them (either big box store you choose) sell basically the same sized palm in a 7-gal container at one price and in a 15-gal container at a much higher price.  By the way, happy birthday @JLM!

Thank you! I dont think ive seen anything bigger than 13g around here, maybe i just have to look at the right places lol
One of my local nurseries is doing something big for Spring, not sure what it is but they've moved stuff around a lot. I dont even see their Sabals anymore.

• Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Yeah! Home Depot here in Jacksonville, Fl. has increased its palm prices over the last 2 years, and this year the big ball and burlap ones are now at $200.00, up from about $169.00 about 2 years ago. Lowe's prices are steady. Go figure. 

• Like 1

I just bought 3 6.5 gallon bismarckia nobilis from Lowe's for $60.  I don't know if that's a lot but I'd rather pay $60 for a 6.5 gallon bismarckia than $70 for a 3 gallon common queen.

• Like 1

Everything has gone up. I was at Home Depot today and I was surprised to see the 2 cu.ft. bags of pine bark mulch chips was $3.87. And Black Kow was $5.57. I had been getting BK at Ace when it was on sale for $3.99 a bag vs $4.99. Now the sale price is $4.49 which is still over $1 less than HD. Ace also has the pine chips on sale for $2.79. The funny thing was, I was watching people just load up their carts with stuff without even looking at the prices. It’s like everyone just assumes that they are getting good prices. Or maybe they are fat with stimulus checks. I don’t know. The palm prices are very arbitrary. Like @Fusca said, sometimes they will sell very similar plants in different size containers for radically different prices. You really have to know what you are looking at. Which is not like most people. 

Edited by Johnny Palmseed

On 3/16/2021 at 8:13 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Home Depot has a pay by scan type of policy for plants. So the grower ( Costa, the biggest tropical plant grower that ships to Texas), only gets paid when the plant sells. When the plants look bad they are just thrown in trash.

Costa must assume the have no competition in Texas tight now, and they are probably right. I saw Walmart had queens that were only 10 bucks cheaper and were smaller. I didn’t see who the grower was, but I don’t think Walmart does that. Lowe’s didn’t.

Walmart also does this with their plants.  It may appear that they don't because Walmart does not maintain their plants very well.

Edited by PricklyPearSATC

6 hours ago, howfam said:

Yeah! Home Depot here in Jacksonville, Fl. has increased its palm prices over the last 2 years, and this year the big ball and burlap ones are now at $200.00, up from about $169.00 about 2 years ago. Lowe's prices are steady. Go figure. 

I just got back from Home Depot. The B&B Queen Palms are now $209.00 and about half the size I'm used to seeing over the years they've carried them. Looks like maybe 25 gal. pot size to me.  

• Like 1

In my opinion, too much for sure. I'd rather get a king palm for the same money... Lower cost in the future paying for tree trimming when it grows beyond the size of the ladder you feel comfortable climbing :D