True hardiness of Beccariophoenix alfredii?

Haddock

Beccariophoenix alfredii aka “Madagascar high land coconut” is a interesting palm, but it’s cold hardiness hasn’t been fully tested. I heard it’s hardy to the lower 20s when it’s young but what about mature specimens, how cold can they handle?

Unfortunately I had couple nice potted ones fry in about a 27f and a frost that only last a few hours. Cold enough to know they would never work in zone 9a in southeast Texas.

I do wonder if a moderate wrapping  could get them through most winters until they get too large.

ill stay down the butia hybrid path, where they only need protecting during a 20 year event.

Edited by Collectorpalms

30 Year Zone Average 20F. Ryan: Contact 979.204.4161 Collectorpalms@gmail.com

2 hours ago, Haddock said:

Beccariophoenix alfredii aka “Madagascar high land coconut” is a interesting palm, but it’s cold hardiness hasn’t been fully tested. I heard it’s hardy to the lower 20s when it’s young but what about mature specimens, how cold can they handle?

I think you might have heard wrong.  It might be hardy to lower 20's when it's mature but like Ryan mentioned it's pretty wimpy as a young palm.  General consensus is that it is a zone 9b palm - there's plenty of threads regarding its hardiness or lack thereof.

Jon Sunder

The small palm I was going to give Jon(Fusca) was torched at 33*F with frost. I’m still waiting to see if it will recover. If you are in South Carolina don’t waste your money. 

*removes b. Alfredii from online shopping cart*

• Like 1