IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycas Revouta dying ?

mariorainy1

Hey Mario, welcome to the forums.

Hard to say. Do these typically grow well in your area? How much is a new one?

Cycads are pretty tough and yours isn't dead yet. If you're attached to it, you could treat the scale and make sure the soil is not too wet (or dry) to get its root system going again. It is getting enough light (and heat)?

Edited by Swolte

Cycas revoluta will tolerate light to moderate frosts (in the cold season), but if your summers cannot provide tropical/subtropical HEAT, they are going to struggle long term. In Ireland, it's more the lack of summer heat than the winter chill that's the problem. That, and you cycads are have issues with pests. Your soil may also be too heavy for your wet climate.  Having said that, cycads will recuperate from 100% defoliation..., given time. Good luck!

On 10/14/2020 at 4:10 AM, Swolte said:

Hey Mario, welcome to the forums.

Hard to say. Do these typically grow well in your area? How much is a new one?

Cycads are pretty tough and yours isn't dead yet. If you're attached to it, you could treat the scale and make sure the soil is not too wet (or dry) to get its root system going again. It is getting enough light (and heat)?

Thank you, yes summer was nice and warm In ireland I believe, soil could be too wet , it had enough light all summer, new one is 35 Euro i believe in e 3 L pot, should i cut all leaves and  maybe some roots? Or what is the procedure to rebirth :) thanks

21 hours ago, oasis371 said:

Cycas revoluta will tolerate light to moderate frosts (in the cold season), but if your summers cannot provide tropical/subtropical HEAT, they are going to struggle long term. In Ireland, it's more the lack of summer heat than the winter chill that's the problem. That, and you cycads are have issues with pests. Your soil may also be too heavy for your wet climate.  Having said that, cycads will recuperate from 100% defoliation..., given time. Good luck!

Hi,

thank you, yes soil was pretty wet but summer was nice here pretty warm, but I ve preparer soil well with all the necesary stuff, and I was using palm ultra plus for root system.

Should I cut the leaves and maybe roots?

what should I look for? 
thank you

1 hour ago, mariorainy1 said:

Thank you, yes summer was nice and warm In ireland I believe, soil could be too wet , it had enough light all summer, new one is 35 Euro i believe in e 3 L pot, should i cut all leaves and  maybe some roots? Or what is the procedure to rebirth

I would cut off the worst leaves (disinfect pruners) and spray the rest with some neem oil (or a better product) to control the scale. Then, as soon as there's a sign of a new flush coming (possibly next year), I'd cut off ALL the older fronds. Keep spraying for a bit longer until you're sure the scale is gone. Keep monitoring the soil with your finger or a moisture meter. They should be able to handle wet soils for a while but I am not sure how they would handle those in a more temperate (?) climate such as yours. Folks from the British Isles could chime in for better advice! 

Edited by Swolte

You can treat scale systemically by spreading used coffee grounds around the caudex. Caffeine in the grounds will poison the scale insects.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Mario your cycas is clearly infected with scale insects usually you can see them under the leaves and unless its treated it will die. Even if the scale insects have moved, the while waterlike stains on the leaves and white dusty patches in the centre are clear indications.I have around 50 revoluta many of which I germinated from seeds from the cycas in the photograph. I get scale problems every year. I spray them a little with pesticide and they are ok but the ones near my pond get a bigger infestation probably due to the higher humidity. I treat those manually for fear of getting pesticides in my pond and killing my koi. I use alcohol on tissues and physically wipe the underside of the leaves. This year I gave up with one as the infestation was so bad that I dug it up, cut off the leaves, poured over some alcohol over the centre and replanted well away from pond. It has come back beautifully. Of course when you do that, the leaves come back smaller the first year. But don't worry they are very resilient, cut off the leaves and treat the infestation

these are two of my cycas close to the pool too big to move

671051334_f5ffb0fdca1860ca9692a5cbfb96435a1.thumb.jpg.1abe6f274ce178637f4a676f3ecb70d5.jpg

Many of my cycas come from germinating these seeds.

The following gets its annual alcohol treatment by hand as is next to water

1938470253_88e584e839a0dfdaaa8757b129668bee1.thumb.jpg.e8105c3a1bc5c19730f27c91e26b372c.jpg

But the one on the left was uprooted, leaves cut off, treated and replanted elsewhere and looking good (for now).

463795017_2706dbf42538243ab8736af3c8fa386f1.thumb.jpg.db2f1b2945dd6426ec964fc272568ab6.jpg

On 10/15/2020 at 9:46 PM, Swolte said:

I would cut off the worst leaves (disinfect pruners) and spray the rest with some neem oil (or a better product) to control the scale. Then, as soon as there's a sign of a new flush coming (possibly next year), I'd cut off ALL the older fronds. Keep spraying for a bit longer until you're sure the scale is gone. Keep monitoring the soil with your finger or a moisture meter. They should be able to handle wet soils for a while but I am not sure how they would handle those in a more temperate (?) climate such as yours. Folks from the British Isles could chime in for better advice! 

thank you ro advice, I was spraying the leaves with neem oil for 1 month at the beginning but it was probably not long enough. I will cut all bad leaves and leave 1 leave and clean it.

On 10/15/2020 at 9:51 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

You can treat scale systemically by spreading used coffee grounds around the caudex. Caffeine in the grounds will poison the scale insects.

thank you for reply , I have tried this method as well , but sprayed leaves only 2 times with coffee and left  coffee ground on top of caudex for a longer time but it did not help to restore it . maybe i will try again. 

On 10/17/2020 at 4:25 AM, konarikcy said:

Mario your cycas is clearly infected with scale insects usually you can see them under the leaves and unless its treated it will die. Even if the scale insects have moved, the while waterlike stains on the leaves and white dusty patches in the centre are clear indications.I have around 50 revoluta many of which I germinated from seeds from the cycas in the photograph. I get scale problems every year. I spray them a little with pesticide and they are ok but the ones near my pond get a bigger infestation probably due to the higher humidity. I treat those manually for fear of getting pesticides in my pond and killing my koi. I use alcohol on tissues and physically wipe the underside of the leaves. This year I gave up with one as the infestation was so bad that I dug it up, cut off the leaves, poured over some alcohol over the centre and replanted well away from pond. It has come back beautifully. Of course when you do that, the leaves come back smaller the first year. But don't worry they are very resilient, cut off the leaves and treat the infestation

these are two of my cycas close to the pool too big to move

671051334_f5ffb0fdca1860ca9692a5cbfb96435a1.thumb.jpg.1abe6f274ce178637f4a676f3ecb70d5.jpg

Many of my cycas come from germinating these seeds.

The following gets its annual alcohol treatment by hand as is next to water

1938470253_88e584e839a0dfdaaa8757b129668bee1.thumb.jpg.e8105c3a1bc5c19730f27c91e26b372c.jpg

But the one on the left was uprooted, leaves cut off, treated and replanted elsewhere and looking good (for now).

463795017_2706dbf42538243ab8736af3c8fa386f1.thumb.jpg.db2f1b2945dd6426ec964fc272568ab6.jpg

Hi , wow your garden is amazing , congratulations , I will defintely try the alcohol looks promising, what is the  %  of alcohol to use ? Should I pour alcohol on roots as well or just top and clean leaves ?

THANK YOU

No definetely not on roots. Drench tissue and wipe leaves that are to be saved - cut badly damaged or infested ones.  Pour a little alcohol around the centre to kill off baby scale emerging but avoid getting roots wet. They will be damaged. Alcohol is the cheap pharmacy alcohol - usually around 90% I think. You will find it unsticks and gets rid of the scale, evaporates easily and is environmentally friendly.  Of course if its a big infestation it may take a while and may need to be repeated. And wear some protection - cycas leaves are scratchy but work is too fiddly for thick gloves. I usually get through a few pairs of disposable gloves. Good luck Katerina

Cycas is very hardy in all meanings. Mine one lost its fronds and roots 1.5 years ago and hoping in recovering I cared for it treated it all this time. Yesterday I saw new roots growth around the bottom of the stem. Such a nice present. :greenthumb:

No definetely not on roots. Drench tissue and wipe leaves that are to be saved - cut badly damaged or infested ones.  Pour a little alcohol around the centre to kill off baby scale emerging but avoid getting roots wet. They will be damaged. Alcohol is the cheap pharmacy alcohol - usually around 90% I think. You will find it unsticks and gets rid of the scale, evaporates easily and is environmentally friendly.  Of course if its a big infestation it may take a while and may need to be repeated. And wear some protection - cycas leaves are scratchy but work is too fiddly for thick gloves. I usually get through a few pairs of disposable gloves. Good luck Katerina

Don't worry about cycas revoluta - I think they originate from Japan and grow like crazy in South Africa- ie in a wide range of climates. I have seen a container full of cycas bare root, without leaves and trimmed roots imported at a nursery after travelling for weeks by ship, planted in pots and a while later sprout new leaves. I have cut all leaves off and transplanted them, worried, only to have them come alive months later. So I would not worry too much

On 10/21/2020 at 6:41 AM, konarikcy said:

thank you I will do it few time and post update 

On 10/21/2020 at 11:33 AM, Antti said:

Cycas is very hardy in all meanings. Mine one lost its fronds and roots 1.5 years ago and hoping in recovering I cared for it treated it all this time. Yesterday I saw new roots growth around the bottom of the stem. Such a nice present. :greenthumb:

Thanks