IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

As a palm grows...

SailorBold

I've known about this palm for years and drove by to check it out on my way to work today. It was planted as a few seeds pushed into the ground.. if I remember correctly.. 20+ years ago.  Obviously at least 1 sprouted and grew into this.  

When it was younger I think the general concensus was is that its a filifera..   What do you think?? It almost looks filibusta now.. its in between 2 pine trees..  and faces west.

Sorry for the poor picture quality..

20200821_162537.jpg

20200821_162607.jpg

Edited by SailorBold
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Filifera or filibusta.... either way it is one nice palm!  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

That's a text book California palm! Does that clear it up?

That being said, I can't tell if it's a hybrid or not.  That thing has really grown in the last 5 years! That bud was just above or at the roofline in 2011.

I think ol' DAC might have some insight as that was planted by and the office was a landscape architect.  Hopefully he sees  your post nd can enlighten us!

Which reminds me, I got some live oak posts to answer.

For me, it's filifera enough and give me hope that I didn't plant some of mine too close to the house.

On a side note, there was a poster from the past that liked to say all these ABQ palms were dead once they cleared the roofline.........bull!

Last but not least, seed grown  in place has worked best for me

Edited by jwitt
  • Like 2

Nice washingtonia, filifera fronds, crown perhaps less wide because of neighboring trees.
Can u post a streetview link? 

This is a habitat picture I found in an old PT topic. You can see the crown is comparably small, as there are trees surrrounding it

image.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

Nice washingtonia, filifera fronds, crown perhaps less wide because of neighboring trees.
Can u post a streetview link? 

This is a habitat picture I found in an old PT topic. You can see the crown is comparably small, as there are trees surrrounding it

image.jpeg

Alex- no access to Google maps at the moment. The address is approx 200 La Veta Dr. NE, Albuquerque NM. East side of road, plus or minus a block.

Not sure I would call the crown small or compact, using the vehicle for reference. 

image.png

20200821_162537.thumb.jpg.63d454cfebd17e5898ed3eb808c9ae97.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 11:59 PM, jwitt said:

That's a text book California palm! Does that clear it up?

That being said, I can't tell if it's a hybrid or not.  That thing has really grown in the last 5 years! That bud was just above or at the roofline in 2011.

I think ol' DAC might have some insight as that was planted by and the office was a landscape architect.  Hopefully he sees  your post nd can enlighten us!

Which reminds me, I got some live oak posts to answer.

For me, it's filifera enough and give me hope that I didn't plant some of mine too close to the house.

On a side note, there was a poster from the past that liked to say all these ABQ palms were dead once they cleared the roofline.........bull!

Last but not least, seed grown  in place has worked best for me

lol.. right?  either way it has taken some serious freezes.  Do you think DAC planted it?   I asked a gentleman that worked there and he told me it was planted by seed.. that was a long time ago.  I had no idea that DAC worked there..  shrugs..

It may be a hybrid but its a hybrid that works... yep.. planted by seed.  We really need to plant that grove in the spot you found. lol...  and perhaps add some seeds from this....

20200901_173221.jpg

Edited by SailorBold
  • Like 3

Very nice in northern NM! Without seeing the hue of the fronds and the base of the petioles, I vote for filifera. In the desert, filiferas have noticeably fatter trunks than robustas or hybrids, but in places like Dallas you can easily confuse the two. So the winter tells you which is which. Here it may be stretched out because of the competition of the two pines right next to it. 

A very bright green frond color (as opposed to bluish) and very reddish brown color at the base of the petiole (as opposed to only lightly brownish on the sides), would indicate a hybrid in my limited knowledge. 

And even if the fronds burn in winter, they push out so many fronds so fast,  that by June it probably already looks very nice.

My two cents...

• Like 1

That could be the world record cold Washingtonia survivor there.  -10f.

Well, within a degree or so.

Seeding no less!

I did not see any green on it until July 4 2011

Seeds! Is it too early to do a rain dance for next year? Per the concern of a cold basin, that would be a no go, there is an outlet at the bottom. Also the neighborhood does not slope to this area, but rather flat. Got my hopes up!

Edited by jwitt
Addition
  • Upvote 2

On 9/3/2020 at 11:00 PM, jwitt said:

That could be the world record cold Washingtonia survivor there.  -10f.

Lol.. crazy. Yes.. and it also may be the only seeding Washingtonia (hybrid..) at the highest elevation in the US. 

On 9/3/2020 at 11:00 PM, jwitt said:

Seeds! Is it too early to do a rain dance for next year? Per the concern of a cold basin, that would be a no go, there is an outlet at the bottom. Also the neighborhood does not slope to this area, but rather flat. Got my hopes up!

I'll start to plan for next year.. get seeds cleaned up. Etc. Maybe go see if the owner will let me collect the seeds...

Nope.. not too early for rain dance.. 

• 3 weeks later...