IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyphophoenix nucele requirements

tim_brissy_13

After a previous failed attempt at growing a Cyphophoenix nucele, I've ordered a variety of palms from Palms for Brisbane including this species.  I've read that they grow on limestone cliffs, so I'm thinking that I may have used a mix not suitable for this species last time.  I usually use a mix of premium potting mix, sphagnum moss and vermiculite, but this time I may need to raise the pH.  

Any tips regarding soil requirements or otherwise would be appreciated.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Yes, get rid of the sphagnum moss. Not only will it hold alot of unwanted water, but will probably lower the pH.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

G'Day Tim

I have been told that when planting palms in the ground that like higher pH soil to use a little broken up cement mortar in the bottom of the hole when you plant the palm (this is if you have acidic soil).

The lime will gradually leech from the motar & in the process elevate the pH.

If you are going to leave the plant in a pot for a while I would incorporate some horticultural charcoal in the potting mix, this also helps to slightly elevate the pH & keep the mix well drained.

Cheers

Matt.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

another way to change the ph is to add dolomite granules, but...

My C.nucele is growing well in natural soil with no  change....

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

My C.nucele's grow in differents sections of the garden, on ph nuetral soil without any problems

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

I have one here in So. Cal that has not missed a a beat in 5 years.  Was a small 5 gallon and is not boxed size.  It is, of course, in the ground.  I am not sure if I have ever fertilized it or fussed over the Ph level of the soil.  I just used good 50/50 mix I brought in.

I will try to get a pic of it later.

Jeff

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999