IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parasite, Epiphyte or palm?

Tracy

So I was really struggling whether to post this in the palm discussion section or the tropical plants other than palms section and finally settled to post with the palms.  The host plant for this epiphyte or perhaps it is a parasite is a Rhopalostylis.  I don't remember which one this is whether it is a regular baueri or perhaps cheesmanii, but that is only the host.  The problem is that it is still young but being infested by this ugly little parasite.  I'm just not sure what to do about it, maybe break out the Weed-be-gone or maybe Daconil will do the trick.  I don't want to hurt my Rhopolostylis though; as you can see, thus far it is surviving this parasite quite well.

20200727-BH3I0680.jpg

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Ahhhh and now for the parasite photos.  It appears to be an epiphyte.

20200727-BH3I0681.jpg

20200727-BH3I0682.jpg

20200727-BH3I0683.jpg

• Like 1

So the Weed-be-gone?  Daconil?

or maybe the answer is a chain saw on the culprit on the other side of the fence!  D#n$**@~> Washingtonia robusta!

20200727-BH3I0680-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Get in there and give it a yank!

looks like a funky volunteer in a little bit of litter 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Get in there and give it a yank!

looks like a funky volunteer in a little bit of litter 

Actually it is several volunteers in a little bit of leaf litter.  I was picking up "litter" from my dog, and always discover the washingtonia lawn emerging in this area.  When I was pulling out a bunch near the base of the Rhopalostylis my eyes wandered up to discover the sprouted volunteers in all the collection points of the palm.  I have seen volunteers like this sprouting in the litter and retained bases of the larger Phoenix species palms but this was a first time I've seen this in a crownshaft palm.

21 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Actually it is several volunteers in a little bit of leaf litter.  I was picking up "litter" from my dog, and always discover the washingtonia lawn emerging in this area.  When I was pulling out a bunch near the base of the Rhopalostylis my eyes wandered up to discover the sprouted volunteers in all the collection points of the palm.  I have seen volunteers like this sprouting in the litter and retained bases of the larger Phoenix species palms but this was a first time I've seen this in a crownshaft palm.

No need to use chemicals, in any case, unless you want to experiment.

Some palms do that naturally, especially the "litter trapping" palms. If you have one, and no litter, improvise some with some rotted sawdust or the like and it's like flicking a switch.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have African Oil Palms that do this. They're very tall but animals up in amongst the seed and scatter it. Some fall into the cut off leaf bases and grow for a few years. Can't get too big as they'd fall off.

gwn16022304.jpg.8484b1a4bef08e5fcd693cfea6f4e227.jpg

Most interesting one was a Livistona humilis out bush that was growing in the fork of a Eucalyptus about 4 metres above the ground. Being slow growers this one must have been many years old.

bilk02081411.jpg.1d37cb1de861df03e60d80fb187897cb.jpg

• Like 4

I see quite a few African Oil palms with either ferns or strangler figs ( or both ) growing on them in suburbia,,,,

• Like 1

Tracy, if you can't manually remove those seedlings a touch of Glyphosate to the green sprouts should kill them without harming the Rhopy.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

10 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Tracy, if you can't manually remove those seedlings a touch of Glyphosate to the green sprouts should kill them without harming the Rhopy.

Fortunately they remove easily at this stage.  They do develop longer than normal roots than in the ground.  The post was a bit tongue in cheek.  The Washies are just starting to push out some new flowers and its tempting to ask the neighbor if I can hire someone to trim them.  I get 50% of the seeds in my yard which means that I have 50% of the cleanup, which is pulling up the carpet of seedlings which appears every year.  It is far too high for me to trim and they are a nice older couple who have lived in the home for a long time but aren't really capable of dealing with some of the larger and older plantings in their yard..

2 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Not sure why the picture didn’t post.

C2612FF6-1FF4-4639-B716-5DB2BD42FA13.jpeg

So what is the culprit in your case?  Looks a lot like baby Archontophoenix sprouting to me.  Also what is the host I'm embarrassed to ask?  I know I should recognize it but I don't.

Great eye Tracy, kings indeed.

And the host is Rhopalostylis chatum island.