• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycads?

ahosey01

EDIT:  I think this post should be in the "tropical looking plants" forum.  How do I move it?

I have two spots on each side of my driveway that need to be filled with something.  I don't want something particularly large, because directly behind those spots are a Phoenix canariensis and a Phoenix dactylifera.  They are the red circled spots in the pictures, here:

house1.thumb.jpg.769c132c4690cbc19f6276bebbede89a.jpg

My thought was - if possible - I'd like to plant some cycads here.  Only challenge is, however, I am in Wickenburg AZ and these would be in full sun.  It also gets cold every year down by my house, with lows between 18 and 25 reliably expected at least once annually.

Any species suggestions that could take the cold and the heat and wouldn't get too large?

Edited by ahosey01
  • Upvote 1

You could try a couple of palms like Chamaerops cerifera and Nannorrhops arabica. They sucker but you could prune to your liking. The first cycad that comes to mind is Dioon edule. 

• Upvote 1

I would put the old revoluta there but i dont have much taste in cycads. I do need to find a good spot for my potted Sago though, needs to be in the ground but i just need to coordinate a bit lol

• Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 2 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 3 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 8 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa, 1 S. bermudana, 1 L. nitida

I think you could grow some of the hardier Encephalartos there, although they might struggle with full sun and would defoliate without protection in the harsher freezes. If you irrigate well you could easily grow the hardier Cycas. I would look at revoluta x deb or panzh x deb. Finally, Dioon edule would work but is a slooooow grower. Try to get a larger one to start with.

• Upvote 1

Saw some cool photos of panzh x deb.  Cold hardiness on those?  And where do I pick one up?

To add on what the others have suggested, if you want a challenge perhaps go for Cycas cairnsiana or another blue (yes, blue!) species. It's about $50 for 5 seeds on RarePalmSeeds. Germinating them is tricky and it will take a few years to get a decently sized specimen, so perhaps have another cycad there in the interim. It will be well worth the patience. They grow excellently in full sun and are drought-tolerant. If you have the money you could also buy an already mature-ish specimen, though they are very pricey and difficult to come by.

Edited by CodyORB

I have c. Cairnsiana 2 year old plants for $55. They would look great there.

• Upvote 1