IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing triplets of adonidia merrillii from seed

Lande

Hi,

I have recently started with my first palms, planting from seeds. The plan is to have them potted and indoor as I live a cold climate. I have successfully germinated adonidia merrillii and a few other species. For the adonidias I want to grow a couple of doubles and triplets, but I wonder how far apart seeds should be planted to achieve them all growing up? Is there a minimum distances required or are triplets etc typically created by planting young trees next to each other? 

Thanks 

Welcome to the forum @Lande!

They can be planted very close and will grow given enough light, nutrients, and water. The decision of how far apart depends on the "look" you're trying to achieve. If you plant say three seeds right next to one another they'll grow with a fairly straight stem angling wider as they get taller. If you plant three seedlings together that were started separately and angle them out, they'll grow with more of a curved stem.

Here's a bunch of Adonidia seedlings that started because my neighbor raked up seed and forgot they were in a bucket. No soil just whatever mango leaves fell in the bucket.

20190929_155016_zps4m8ot9yh.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

Welcome to the forum @Lande!

They can be planted very close and will grow given enough light, nutrients, and water. The decision of how far apart depends on the "look" you're trying to achieve. If you plant say three seeds right next to one another they'll grow with a fairly straight stem angling wider as they get taller. If you plant three seedlings together that were started separately and angle them out, they'll grow with more of a curved stem.

Here's a bunch of Adonidia seedlings that started because my neighbor raked up seed and forgot they were in a bucket. No soil just whatever mango leaves fell in the bucket.

20190929_155016_zps4m8ot9yh.jpg

Wow that is one dense bouquet of seedlings! Ok thanks, I'll plant the seeds quite close from the very start then.

Edited by Lande
typo

On 4/13/2020 at 4:47 PM, jimmyt said:

@NOT A TA That is gonna be a chore to separate :wacko:

They weren't hard to separate. The neighbor's a semi retired landscape maintenance guy who does side jobs for people who live in Polo Club in Boca Raton. He brought those over last fall and asked me to make ten triples in 2 gallon growers pots he'll sell to customers in a couple years. He's a good guy who regularly brings me plants, cuttings, etc. so I was more than happy to do it for him. Growing in a 5 gallon paint bucket they grew tall & skinny compared to normal reaching for light and being crowded. 

• Upvote 1