IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut Palm

Patrick Palms

Been looking for a Coconut Palm, that's been acclimatized, to out doors.

Heres one , I have been offered?,  does it look ok ? 

Gary

Coconut_Rosario.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hi. Personally I would take it. Looks good to me just before planting it put it outside and move it around to see where it shows the spot it likes, and of course where you would like it as well. thanks Mark

Its nice.  Improve the drainage next spring as you repot it.  Make sure you can keep it from freezing this winter and give it bright light to sun , and on the dry side for winter.  I keep one in a pot, overwinter in the heated greenhouse.  They are tolerant.

jimmyt

Looks nice and healthy to me. I checked your profile and with your climate all you need to worry about is making sure you plant it somewhere that drains well and gets plenty of sun. 

Oh man,  in Zn 12a you should be home free with a coconut palm.   As HtownPalms said just make sure it has decent drainage.  Lucky You!! :lol:

I have never grown a coconut palm so I couldn't say, but 5 years seems about right. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in. I would think that coconut palms being a beach palm the wind won't bother them as much as other types of palms. 

Edited by HtownPalms

On 9/23/2019 at 4:33 PM, Patrick Palms said:

Only snag here, is constant winds.  How old would you say this coconut is ? 5 yrs ??

Based on the semi-pinnate leaves, it seems as a 2-3 year old.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Any one tried the Beccariophoenix alfredii palm, great coconut look a like

• Like 1

As a young seedling, home grown , 4 leafs
.at what stage can this palm be planted outside ? If you dont have palm feed, would tomato feed be ok? Or can Epsom salts , mixed in soil help? Some one has said, a rusty nail in soil helps plants, any truth ? I can see thrse palms are perfect for dry windy conditions, in part sun or full sun.. many other palms in windy locations, would suffer leaf browning

3  Leafs   But can a palm this small, be planted outside? Even though its a tough palm ?

Beccariophoenix alfredii.jpg

On 10/3/2019 at 7:35 AM, Patrick Palms said:

3  Leafs   But can a palm this small, be planted outside? Even though its a tough palm ?

Beccariophoenix alfredii.jpg

Sure it can. Seems it hasn't been exposed to the sun.  Will it be planted under direct sunlight? Canopy?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I keep them in partial shade a couple months then full sun. I would not let it ever dry out the first year after moving to full sun in the ground. 

• Upvote 2

David