IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

St. George and Albuquerque..
 1290757820_02052006361250.jpg.78a4d3d140f7e5759b978d36152c28ff.jpg1704901310_02052006381251.jpg.5930b801c0f877278d5cf7fc3a6628e6.jpg

What software are you using? Oof. Albuquerque is freezing. :unsure:

Just now, RyManUtah said:

What software are you using? Oof. Albuquerque is freezing. :unsure:

I just took shots off Weather Underground w/ an old phone i still have.. hence the not so great pic. quality, lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As long as the stems on your Plumeria feel solid / aren't starting to flop over after a couple days, they should be fine.. if not, remove damaged stems down to clean wood, and apply powdered Sulfur... to keep cuts clean and healthy wood from rotting further.    Next frost/ freeze there, you can cover stems, branch tips w/ pool noodles.  Have  wrapped stems w/ scrap pieces of shade cloth also.

I think the plumeria will be okay. It never usually loses all of its leaves but I think it will now. The plant is getting too big to try and protect. Hard to get a picture but here it is. 

20200205_112702.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

I think the plumeria will be okay. It never usually loses all of its leaves but I think it will now. The plant is getting too big to try and protect. Hard to get a picture but here it is. 

20200205_112702.jpg

Yea, should be fine.. watch it though.  Believe it or not but damage can spread from the leaf stalk to the branch tips.. have had it happen a couple times w/ some of mine. Once rot starts in the tips, it can spread down the stems/ rot the entire plant quite rapidly. Was one reason i made the decision to take off 95% of any foliage that remain on all mine after mid- November each year. Even so, ( and without any cold damage ) Lost one of my favorites i'd just picked up this past summer,  and a purple-flowered cultivar that had been struggling since last winter ( got too wet while cold ).  Once the leaves fall off ( or, if you go ahead and decide to remove them in a few days. Leave about 1/2-1" of the leafstalk attached to the stem if you do )  you can always stuff paper towels in something like those plastic red party cups and put them over the tips for cold/frost  protection if there's another cold spell. Hopefully this will be the only time it gets that cold, let alone drop to 32F there this winter.

8 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I just took shots off Weather Underground w/ an old phone i still have.. hence the not so great pic. quality, lol.

Yup.. it was sharp. Tonight will be similar.. the only reprieve is that it will be 50-55f and sunny tomorrow and then up to 60.  I'm glad there wasnt any snow.. at least in my neighborhood. The elevations in the abq city limits go from 4900' to 6700'.. I know the east side of town got a few inches. 

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

So far sitting similarly to yesterday morning. Although I do believe we could drop another few degrees before sunrise. Yard yesterday showed minor spotting on cold sensitive plants, but nothing like last year when we bottomed out in the 26-28f range for a handful of nights. Daytime temps and no frost have helped slightly 

C99930EE-D061-4C1A-8663-822DAAC934D6.png

• Like 1

38F at 0737. High should reach 52F rainy and grey again...

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Mid 70's today but active weather coming in this evening into the night. 

The highly amplified upper trough will be moving east and into
the forecast area as a very pronounced mid-level speed max
moves into the trough base. The water vapor imagery shows
moisture spreading northeast ahead of the trough. This deep
moisture/higher theta-e air will be in the Carolinas and Georgia
through the evening. Precipitable water is forecast to be near
1.8 inches.

The associated strong cold front will approach the region this
afternoon and move through the area tonight. The air mass ahead
of the front will be unstable. Upstream observations indicate
surface-based CAPE around 500 J/kg. The KCAE 88D confirms a
strong h85 jet with speeds near 60 knots. The high-resolution
models have been consistent with thunderstorms this afternoon
and evening. The high shear and sufficient instability supports
severe thunderstorms which should spread from west to east along
the low-level jet. Damaging winds are the main threat but a few
tornadoes are possible in both discrete cells ahead of and
along the QLCS. Max temps will be in the low to mid 70s this
afternoon. Given the strength of the low-level jet...potential
mixing will result in gusty winds ahead of the front. Expect
gusts around 35 mph. We have posted a Lake Wind Advisory.

68F/20C @ 11:33 am

Beautifully sunny with a light breeze :interesting: 

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Sunny and 70-75F around Chandler atm.. Quite warm too while trimming / cleaning up stuff out in the yard. Forecast today is for 72, ..we've beat that and with a couple more hours to go, may add 2-4 more degrees to today's high. Cool but not cold tonight, 40's.. Mid 70's tomorrow.

Rain is still on track for Monday / Tuesday with most forecast models still suggesting rainfall totals in the .40- .75" range across the Valley. Snow levels stay high since this storm really doesn't have much cold air wrapping into it as it moves through. Might have the right dynamics for some thunder also. Front yard is looking a little thirsty, so some decent rainfall will provide a good pulse of moisture.

Cooler, back in the lower 60's the first half of the week, back to the 69-75F'ish range by next weekend, nothing lower than 39F forecast at this time.. Might end up being the last decent opportunity for rain we see for awhile.. Some suggestions that the ridge that has been hanging out in the North Pacific may build in closer in to the west coast beyond next weekend, shoving most of the coolish, troughy stuff more toward the high plains and northeast. Recent runs of the CFS on Pivotal  look warmer also across the region.  Almost at the finish line..

• Like 1

53F at 4pm here. The UK is getting battered by the Atlantic storm Ciara. I have recorded a maximum wind speed of 63mph here. Wales has recorded 95mph and other parts of England have seen 97mph. We've still got another 4 or 5 hours left of this storm though...

• Like 3

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

light breeze, Partly sunny, most of the day. Clouding up a bit more now. Had reached 73-79F across town  but shaving off a few degrees w/ the increasing cloud cover atm.   Still quite nice.

Good day for cloud watching, no matter how else you might be enjoying your Sunday afternoon.
1351172406_02092013221273.jpg.3ccff9f04d3aa61f1ff916b049504e30.jpg

• Like 3

Chilly night tonight. Down to 40F here at 2am. Only 65% humidity though, despite it raining quite a lot earlier. Must be due to the wind. 

It has been mega gloomy and stormy over the past few days. Wind speeds of 70mph in places around here. The palms around town don't seem too fazed by it though.

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

On 2/9/2020 at 11:34 AM, UK_Palms said:

53F at 4pm here. The UK is getting battered by the Atlantic storm Ciara. I have recorded a maximum wind speed of 63mph here. Wales has recorded 95mph and other parts of England have seen 97mph. We've still got another 4 or 5 hours left of this storm though...

That storm dumped 22" of snow where I used to live. Temps negative 10-20 afterwards. Glad I don't have to endure that anymore. I'll take the 73 out side right now over snow thank you. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RJ said:

That storm dumped 22" of snow where I used to live. Temps negative 10-20 afterwards. Glad I don't have to endure that anymore. I'll take the 73 out side right now over snow thank you. 

2nd that.. Might get chilly for a few nights here or back in California but you couldn't pay me enough to ever live in Ohio or Kansas again ..and i didn't mind living in KS, except during winter.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

Must say, I'm happy to live in a warm climate.

Also agree, though not gonna miss day after day 100F+ summer heat for 3-5 months here once closer to the coast. Plants will be happier too.

• Like 1

Also agree, though not gonna miss day after day 100F+ summer heat for 3-5 months here once closer to the coast. Plants will be happier too.

Gotta say I don't miss the long hot days of the north west of WA, I'm happier living in Perth where we do have that cool change for 3 - 4 months.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

Gotta say I don't miss the long hot days of the north west of WA, I'm happier living in Perth where we do have that cool change for 3 - 4 months.

Being the kind of person who likes being outdoors, especially during the Summer, constant heat definitely gets old fast.. especially after suffering pretty serious heat related issues a couple summers back..  After about a week or so, you look at the calendar and realize there's still 4 months to go before you'll want to venture outdoors for any length of time. No clue how anyone is crazy enough to go for an afternoon hike when it is over 109F out.  A few hot days /warm nights during summer are great.. but it's hard to sleep when it only cools off to 85F for a week or two straight, even w/ the aricon running.  This is what i won't miss.. 

Excluding Santa Ana wind events, San Diego area, even areas a bit inland which can get pretty toasty, and see less influence from morning fog, cool off much better most nights at the same time of year than here in the Desert. While typically not what many would consider humid, most of the time, the area's humidity levels and dew points stay much higher than the do here.  Don't encounter desert level heat/ dry air until you get east of the mountains there. Imperial Valley region, which sits due east, is the hottest/ driest portion of the Colorado section of the Sonoran Desert. In some areas along a highway the runs between San Diego and Yuma AZ, there's nothing but a plant called Creosote Bush growing.. and they're stunted and remind you just how tortured an environment exists there.

It's a little better here once ( if ) our Monsoon season sets in ..typically in late July   but would be even better if it rained nearly every afternoon /evening like it can further south across the border in Mexico, or can, even 100 Miles south in Tucson. Difference in how the landscape can look, even during a somewhat dry Monsoon season between here and Tucson can be pretty dramatic. In Mexico, the change of landscape once the rains start can be quite dramatic, so much that locals have distinct names to describe the dry / hot late spring and the lush and green summer monsoon seasons.

When the circulation that brings moisture north sets up just right across the region, most / all of Southern CA can also experience Florida-like humidity and potential summer storms. It will be nice to have the opportunity to view any that might occur from the beach when they occur.

Plants won't take a long summer break, growth-wise, like they do here at that time either..

• Like 1

Currently 25°F heading into what should (knock on wood) be the coldest night of the winter, forecasts are generally around 15°F (-9°C), which is still a full zone above average (7a/7b). Lowest so far this winter is 17°F (-8°C) back in December.

I dread having to drag my very heavy Trachycarpus fortunei and Butia odorata inside, they're already heavy when they’re dry but right now their soils are saturated, all that work to drag them right back outside on Sunday lol.

69-73F around town at 1:25PM. Feels quite warm out so we should easily reach the low -mid 70s by about 4pm.

Forecast stays nice 'n mild/ warm thru at least next Thursday or Friday. Possible we break 80F on 2 or 3 days between now and the end of next week. Lows stay in the 40s-low 50s, no real rain chances either. 

80F at 12:30pm 2/16/2020

Beautiful sunny day.

20200216_123552.jpg

15818854395487835049650692800377.jpg

• Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

The temp in my backyard is --- because my thermometer/anemometer/barometer doesnt work anymore :crying:

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

50f now, have a 2 to 3 days bellow january averages coming up but mostly 50s. Hopefully it stays mild from here on out but I doubt it cause I'm seeing seeing a little damage on my tiny cerifera and that's it for unprotected palms! They never really stopped growing, albeit slow the past 2 months lol.

IMG_20200219_1532061.thumb.jpg.de359b2b09d977eac3cb4db1528b1337.jpg

IMG_20200219_1532363.thumb.jpg.b2fe2c8986e662cd282acb7a624a0003.jpg

• Like 2

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Horizon to Horizon sunshine, and 78-84F around Chandler and the East Valley as we approach 4PM this Wednesday afternoon..  Just as warm or warmer tomorrow.

• Like 2

58f today under some blues skies after the last few weeks being quite gloomy. The only issue with dry weather means cold nights. Some low 30s in the next few nights.

82F In my neck of the woods. 

Just received a pic from my sibling in Greensboro, NC via Whatsapp....

I can't believe it.   This is 2 minutes ago.

02202020.jpeg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Another spectacular preview of Spring around the Valley atm..  While some increasing, passing clouds have cooled things off a few degrees, most spots around Chandler.. and most of Phoenix are sitting in the 78-83F range. Before the clouds rolled in, closest 3 Wx stations to the house topped 83F. A few others over in Tempe and on the N.W. side of town topped 85-87F.  With the clouds, should be a fairly warm evening ahead.

Should hang in the mid upper 70s tomorrow  as clouds continue to increase. Looks like the storm forecast for Fri night/ Sat. is going to be stronger than earlier forecasts had suggested. While things can still change, Instead of the .20" - .50" of rain suggested on Sunday, Rainfall totals may exceed .75"- 1.00" in the Valley, higher totals.. up to 2," possible in the foothills surrounding Phoenix and Tucson.  No cold air w/ this storm either and temps quickly rebound back to the mid-70s by Monday/Tuesday.. Quite possible we're back around 80 by the last couple days of the month. Watching for one more shot of cool /cold air right around the start of March but not all so sure it will happen, here at least..  From the look of some longer range model runs, Winter 2019-2020 is about done for the lower Southwest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

82F In my neck of the woods. 

Just received a pic from my sibling in Greensboro, NC via Whatsapp....

I can't believe it.   This is 2 minutes ago.

02202020.jpeg

My buddy in Raleigh just told me they're forecasted to get up to 6". We've had a ton of rain the past few days and it's supposed to be cold for the next 48 hours or so. Kinda concerned, gotta grab more peroxide...

Screenshot_20200220-182103_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Even by Low Desert standards, a very mild 66-69F around the East Valley at 10:40PM after reaching the upper 70s under partly to mostly cloudy skies..

Forecast washout for most of tomorrow is slowly building north from N.W. Mexico and Baja atm. Still looking at rainfall totals between .75 - 1.00". If Sky Harbor tops .45" after the rain moves out tomorrow night, it will break the daily rainfall record. Entire area is also under a Flash Flood Watch until 11PM tomorrow night. Anyone in town w/plans to attend any Spring Training games.. Fo' gettabout it tomorrow..

Clears out Sunday and another warm up begins.. 00Z GFS may be hinting at quite a warm up for AZ and S.E. CA as the calendar flips to March. Suggested potential for another round of, showery and cool 'ish weather looks to be giving way to a building ridge over the west. Some low/mid 90s even showing up around Yuma and El Centro ( CA.) sometime between the 4th and 9th of March.. Such building heat out there translates to temps in the 82-86F range here in/ around Phoenix if it ends up that warm.  Let the madness begin??

• Like 2

2/22/2020, 1:30pm PST

17C and raining!

15824070842422901407510008268487.jpg

• Like 2

Enjoying the storm roll in. Humidity rose from low 20s to 60s. Currently in the mid 50s F, and starting to rain pretty heavily. :36_14_15[1]:

• Like 1

Only 1% humidity.

31C

I went ahead and applied  palmgain to all my palms and dragon fruit cacti 

20200225_134418.jpg

48f grey and foggy. 

32f sunny and bright but WINDY!

Sunny and 58f.. nice warmish days ahead. Mesembs have started doing their thing.

20200227_162343.jpg

20200227_162203.jpg

Edited by SailorBold
  • Like 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I’m in a cold spot tonight, it’s just 43f here. It’s about 55f at my Sarasota property by comparison... The night of young, fingers crossed we don’t get any frost.

• Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Looking like there are significant differences between the temperatures in my area.  The warmest spot on the map is the Sugarcane station and Lakeland Linder airport of all places.

image.png.18f8d94643fe961ea048350b67b8f078.png

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F