IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Talkin' about (re)-generation

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

Two Caryotas at my infamous Death Camp received serious insults by sharp blades at different times.

Below is a C. Mitis where I cut off a center stem that I thought was dead.

Wrong!

Note the new truncated spear pushing up.

Shoe's a size 12, 12" (30 cm) long.

post-208-1181015292_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This is the C. urens slashed by my machete-wielding roommate last fall.

Same shoe.  Note the way the new growth is pushing out the side.

post-208-1181015383_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a closeup, with my hairy mitt for scale:

post-208-1181015419_thumb.jpg

So Dave, my question is this: did you weild the same machete on the roommate? :D

Wendi

"I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees!"-Dr. Seuss :P

north central east coast of Florida

halfway between Daytona and St. Augustine

15 mi inland

Dave good luck on the growth.   For what its worth, in March 2007 I cut down two (2)  Wash Robusta's that had suffered frost damage.  The palms were juveniles, maybe 18" tall.    I left them in their pots and stuck them in the back yard against a fence and low and behold just recently dicsovered that they too are pushing new center growth.  The new spear is growing painfully slow and I am not sure the new leaf will emerge before fall sets in.     Just an observation.   Keep up your good work.  

Just out of curiousity - wheres the left shoe?

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

Dave: I picked up a $15 Caryota mitis at Walmart years ago. I planted it way back in a corner of the yard and forgot about it. No fert, maybe the sprinklers hit it, I don't know. No damage during the freeze and it looks better than alot of the palms I've been doting over. The Sunset Gardening book is wrong... fishtails are tough.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(wendisplantation @ Jun. 05 2007,11:14)

So Dave, my question is this: did you weild the same machete on the roommate? :D

Nope.  (But tempting . . . .)

I ran him off and he went back to Florida whence he came.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jun. 04 2007,20:50)

You know how Dave like's to wear the sleevless cut off lumberjack flannel shirts?  Wouldn't it be funny if he was only wearing the sleeves of this shirt behind the camera?

post-126-1181071742_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I've seen plenty of photos of Dave's Size 12 Chuck Taylors, but I have no clue what he looks like. I'm left only with that avatar as a mental reference.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Dave, prime example of the old phrase "haste makes waste." In another year those will be nice and healthy, barring machete attacks and hellish winters of course.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

(osideterry @ Jun. 05 2007,15:51)

I've seen plenty of photos of Dave's Size 12 Chuck Taylors, but I have no clue what he looks like. I'm left only with that avatar as a mental reference.

:D Yeah, he he he, me too.....but with the dark hair on his hand, we know he's probably not blonde.... :laugh:

Dave, post a pic so we don't think of you as your av anymore, please dude, help us out here.... :D

Wendi

15 mi inland

(MattyB @ Jun. 05 2007,15:29)

You know how Dave like's to wear the sleevless cut off lumberjack flannel shirts?  Wouldn't it be funny if he was only wearing the sleeves of this shirt behind the camera?

I didn't think that lawyers were allowed to wear flannel, isn't there something in the Bar Association cannons regarding that? :laugh:

( :P I shouldn't talk, I as well have a legal education, and am not even able to use it)

Wendi

15 mi inland

(MattyB @ Jun. 05 2007,15:29)

Lately I've taken to wearing them with the sleeves still on, for protection from the sun.  Melanoma and other ills are such a bore . . . .

dave

Still waiting for taht pic Dave.........Or do you not want anyone to know what you look like?

Wendi

15 mi inland

Most of us have seen Dave's mug shot with his palms.  I have to say that I'm not overly excited about his physical points, maybe because I'm a guy(I don't care for guys attractiveness).  :P  Hey Dave, why don't you post one of your mug shots to calm down Wendi.  :D

By the size of his tennis shoes maybe he'd look like Big foot......... :P ..........

Cypress, Ca.

In this thread you will find pics of a lot of palm friends:

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin....90;st=0

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I've got a Caryota maxima himilaya that I planted in my backyard here in NE Florida.  I chose this one since it is "guaranteed to stand up happily to cold winters with snow and moderate frosts to -7°C (19°F)".  For two seasons straight it has died to the ground with only a low of 25°F.  I'm very happy that the palm is coming back again, but I am considering potting it up till it's gets some size since the cold hardiness is obviously for a more mature specimen.