Sabal yapa - wonderfully blue

Jdiaz31089

I was watering by hand earlier and caught a glimpse of the beautiful blue underside of the fronds on Sabal yapa. This little runt will soon be the main feature in this shade garden. I thought I'd share a couple of pics:

20171002_130008.thumb.jpg.a4c5faef4dd5bd20171002_130046.thumb.jpg.ace4997f6950dc

• Upvote 10

• 6 months later...

I just planted a second S. yapa today. Can't get enough of this species. I've been slowly acclimating it to a sunny exposure and today felt like a good day to put it in the ground. 

20180402_190212.thumb.jpg.b7984449442351

• Upvote 5

57 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I have never been able to find this species, just mauritiiformis. 

Sago Rey nursery in Fresno has a handful left in 3 gallon size. They may have larger ones too. 

3 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Sago Rey nursery in Fresno has a handful left in 3 gallon size. They may have larger ones too. 

Know if they ship?  3 hours each way is a hike.  

How is yapa really different than mauritiiformis anyway?  I've never quite understood...bluer?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

28 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

How is yapa really different than mauritiiformis anyway?  I've never quite understood...bluer?

I think that Yapa is "bluer" on the underside. From my understanding that's the main difference. I have both and the "blue" on mauritiformis doesn't even come close. Here's an old thread:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/18598-sabal-yapa-or-mauritiiformis/

I might be making a trip to the bay area soon. I'd be willing to hike one up to you. Send me a PM. 

Edited by Josue Diaz

13 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Yapa is bigger in all parts, alot more blue in color and more cold hardy.

• Upvote 1

I've been on the hunt for a yapa or two...when are ya headin' to South FL? :P

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 4/3/2018, 10:52:14, Ben in Norcal said:

I have never been able to find this species, just mauritiiformis. 

Same here, and S mauritiformis is a cold weather wimp.  It can hardly stand a brief dip below freezing.  

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

1 minute ago, Keith in SoJax said:

Same here, and S mauritiformis is a cold weather wimp.  It can hardly stand a brief dip below freezing.  

I have no issues there, just want yapa!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

10 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I have no issues there, just want yapa!

I have a mauritiformis that’s going in the ground soon.  If my prior experience repeats, it’ll die back to the soil line nearly every winter.  It was cheap so worth the effort.  

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

I would love to give this one a try but haven't came across one yet. I have a small mauritiformis that takes winter well here . Probably helps it's next to a pond.