IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm That are More Attractive When Short to Medium in Size

Xerarch

I notice that I think some palms are nicer looking when they are less than full size.  For example, Hyophorbe, I love that short, fat bottle look, when they get taller they still look cool but I think they look best when shorter. Similar feeling with Roystonea, I like them tall, but when they get so towering that it's harder to appreciate the crown shaft and fronds, they lose some appeal for me, I like them best at medium height, I don't know, 30 feet or so. I could list a few more but you get the idea and I'm more interested so see if anyone else has similar thoughts on any species I particular. So please post away!

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Attalea cohune, Corypha umbraculifera, and Sabal mauritiiformis :)

• Upvote 1

Washingtonia robusta. Actually, I think most palms (and humans) look their best at this stage, I'll liken it to being in one's early 20s.

• Upvote 1

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

3 hours ago, redbeard917 said:

Washingtonia robusta. Actually, I think most palms (and humans) look their best at this stage, I'll liken it to being in one's early 20s.

I like my washies super tall. Gives them character. :winkie:

20161226_093003.thumb.jpg.2f858442f87f0c

20151110_092223.thumb.jpg.4bb8b987ac1e2c

• Upvote 1

Jubaea Chilensis for sure.  Once they bottle neck i dont like them as much.  20-30' of trunk looks the best to me. 

• Upvote 1

Bismarck palm (when they are young the leaves are stiff and point straight).

Chinese Fan Palm (when they are young the leaves have a very luscious, shiny, tropical green color)

Triangle Palm (the trunk is uninteresting so better when the crown is low to the ground)

Butia (the way the palm leaves curl inwards, they just look better when small)

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

To me, pretty much all of them are at their prime in adolescence.   

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Xerarch, I agree with you ! Your examples of roystonea and hyophorbe are great testaments. As I make landscape changes in my own back yard, I have been choosing smaller to medium palms (i.e. adonidia) ....and they are easier to maintain ! It costs several hundred dollars each year just to have palms trimmed. After a few years, I began to realize that I was no longer seeing the beauty of the palms as they are meant to look....instead, I was looking at palm poles around the yard. What once was lush had taken on a completely different look.

Trachycarpus wagnerianus. The small upward-pointing fronds look great on a small palm, but once they reach a certain height it's no longer flattering. The size of the fronds aren't proportional to the size of the trunk (imo) at maturity.

Sabal texana, and maybe some other Sabals.  The canopy gets huge before it trunks, then seems to start shrinking as it grows taller.  Maybe it's just me. :wacko:

On 12/26/2016, 10:54:56, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Jubaea Chilensis for sure.  Once they bottle neck i dont like them as much.  20-30' of trunk looks the best to me. 

What's the biggest Jubea you've seen in north TX?  That and Ceroxylon would easily be 2 of my top 6 favorites (I love huge palms) but I fear neither can survive my hot, humid swamp.   However, I have a little sister who lives in Dallas, hmm. :innocent:

On 12/26/2016, 9:43:08, Danilopez89 said:

Looks like those guys are ready for a "trim".  Inside joke, for those who missed Dani's washie trim tutorial. :floor:  Sorry, I couldn't help it.  But I agree the "post" picture did look better.  Awesome garden btw! 

Edited by topwater
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, topwater said:

What's the biggest Jubea you've seen in north TX?  That and Ceroxylon would easily be 2 of my top 6 favorites (I love huge palms) but I fear neither can survive my hot, humid swamp.   However, I have a little sister who lives in Dallas, hmm. :innocent:

The transplanted Jubaea at the aquarium is the largest.  The owner has 5 more at his house that are 25-50' tall but again were all transplanted.  The largest I've seen one grown from a small plant is the one on the riverwalk.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, topwater said:

Looks like those guys are ready for a "trim".  Inside joke, for those who missed Dani's washie trim tutorial. :floor:  Sorry, I couldn't help it.  But I agree the "post" picture did look better.  Awesome garden btw! 

Those down there are wild filifera growing along the san andreas fault. Only time they get a trim is if a fire breaks out. 

On 12/26/2016, 10:43:08, Danilopez89 said:

Those are seeding just a little bit there...

PalmTreeDude

8 hours ago, topwater said:

Sabal texana, and maybe some other Sabals.  The canopy gets huge before it trunks, then seems to start shrinking as it grows taller.  Maybe it's just me. :wacko:

In general, with great age when any palm begins to senesce, the crown gets to be quite a bit smaller than it used to be.  I think this trait generally makes very mature palms less attractive.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.