IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Franken Brahea - before and after

DoomsDave

Some of you got a few seeds of the Franken Brahea, which is, I think a hybird between B. armata and brandeegii.

The first picture shows it back in 2009, when it was starting to grow a bit, after being planted in 2006 or thereabouts.

Palmazon stands on the stump of the felled Washie discussed in another thread.

IMG_6015.thumb.JPG.6989d0bbefd9a4e1f4476

Here it is recently, flowers, seeds. The Shoe by the trunk.

I had no idea it would get that big that fast.

IMG_4675.thumb.JPG.ec3193d84bb9430e370cd

IMG_4677.thumb.JPG.32155e544aad89da66149

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave I hope my seed sprouts?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

10 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Dave I hope my seed sprouts?

If anyone can get them to do so, it's you!

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

If anyone can get them to do so, it's you!

thanks buddy :)

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 8 months later...

I've got to say, this palm is pretty spectacular in person. It has a really unique color to it that's really hard to describe - like a frosty, sea green. I'm excited to have some of it's offspring in my garden!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Wow thats a fast and fantastic looking Brahea:greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 4 years later...

Anyone have some recent Franken Brahea tales to share?

• 4 months later...
On 8/24/2017 at 3:07 PM, Jdiaz31089 said:

I've got to say, this palm is pretty spectacular in person. It has a really unique color to it that's really hard to describe - like a frosty, sea green. I'm excited to have some of it's offspring in my garden!

Do you have any recent photos?  Must be getting good sized by now.

On 9/4/2021 at 10:39 AM, DoomsDave said:

Anyone have some recent Franken Brahea tales to share?

I have a forest of Frankenbrahea seedlings coming up. I need to uproot and pot them up - get those puppies into the local plant exchanges in Fresno for the spring. 

• Like 3

Mine haven't germinated yet. 

7 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I have a forest of Frankenbrahea seedlings coming up. I need to uproot and pot them up - get those puppies into the local plant exchanges in Fresno for the spring. 

Let me know if you are willing to sell me one of the seedlings. 

• Like 1

Finally one of DoomsDave Franken braheas seeds germinated! . The rest are just sitting there . Hoping to get more to germinate in the future. :D

F4A9608C-7D7B-4C90-9CF4-04841739F688.jpeg

81197A08-2E83-4D41-9197-BEC87579A3E6.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 9:27 PM, Trustandi said:

Mine haven't germinated yet. 

Let me know if you are willing to sell me one of the seedlings. 

I second that motion!  Beautiful color...hope it's hardy in zone 8!

On 1/12/2022 at 2:21 PM, Josue Diaz said:

Lemme know if u wanna sell something...  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 8:57 PM, southpacific73 said:

Finally one of DoomsDave Franken braheas seeds germinated! . The rest are just sitting there . Hoping to get more to germinate in the future. :D

Have my fingers crossed that I'll get germination this year.

• Like 1