IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea collection Seattle

nick206

There are around 4-5 in total, I took these last month.

28215723472_36caca6f9f_z.jpg.5cb3e1f9bf628241037881_7cb99473c6_z.jpg.88c89b1489c28319573755_cb1d5a3717_z.jpg.33fd5ca10ea28241024611_61bb7f70cc_z.jpg.1010df24a15

This one is much bigger in person.

28241034891_2888d38bb8_z.jpg.9b40774410427703387334_43db1bfc00_z.jpg.2badcf817db

• Upvote 6

Always cool to see palms in the northwest! Goes to show how hardy Jubaea are. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for those pics. I wonder how Walt Rockfellow's Jubaea is doing? I think I recall of his passing a few years ago, but I could be wrong.

Cheers, Barrie. 

Looks great. I love the terrain and other foliage. Really looks exotic with those palms.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really worried about this upcoming winter. It's supposed to be La Nina and that means extra cold and extra rainy her in the PNW. Its been years since Ive seen snow in the inner Seattle metro area but this winter might be bad. 

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016‎ ‎12‎:‎53‎:‎31‎, nick206 said:

I'm really worried about this upcoming winter. It's supposed to be La Nina and that means extra cold and extra rainy her in the PNW. Its been years since Ive seen snow in the inner Seattle metro area but this winter might be bad. 

Maybe it wont be as bad as they say..  Most of the time their predictions are incorrect as it is.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

• 1 year later...

Here is the update since its been over a year.

At Ballard locks. Looks like they are going to get put in the ground somewhere soon.

20171213_111935 (1).jpg

20171213_111955.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2016, 2:05:58, nick206 said:

There are around 4-5 in total, I took these last month.

28215723472_36caca6f9f_z.jpg.5cb3e1f9bf628241037881_7cb99473c6_z.jpg.88c89b1489c28319573755_cb1d5a3717_z.jpg.33fd5ca10ea28241024611_61bb7f70cc_z.jpg.1010df24a15

This one is much bigger in person.

28241034891_2888d38bb8_z.jpg.9b40774410427703387334_43db1bfc00_z.jpg.2badcf817db

Are those Jubaea over by the Washington Park Arboretum/Seattle Japanese garden? I was there last month for Thanksgiving and saw several healthy-looking Jubaea while going for a run in that greenbelt area.

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

On 1/8/2016, 20:53:31, nick206 said:

they are hardy to 12 degrees fahrenheit with high humidity,and 8 degrees with low humidity.Doubt it will get that cold,however temps at 15-18 degrees fahrenheit for more than 5 days will probably kill the plant.

All of my small jubaea totally defoliated this year at 13F and the large one burned 80%.  I had about 50% (20 of them) die in 15G pots and 10% of the 25G die in pots. Zero in the ground died.

16 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

All of my small jubaea totally defoliated this year at 13F and the large one burned 80%.  I had about 50% (20 of them) die in 15G pots and 10% of the 25G die in pots. Zero in the ground died.

the lowest temp mine have seen was 15.6 degrees fahreheit for 3 hours(our record low)they had almost zero damage.

Edited by CroToni

• 2 weeks later...

WHOA

I AM AGOG

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 7 months later...

Small update:

Its been a hot dry summer here in the rainy city (.88 inches of rain since May) went by the arboretum and the Jubaea are thriving. Wish I could get closer to give a better scale of the size but I dont want to cause any trouble or look suspicious. I wish the city would be more adventurous and place more Jubaea in more prominent public parks/streets.  

beZLSK8.jpg

x0sEvC3.jpg

V52qFmd.jpg

The biggest one (center) has 3-4 spears that look ready to open.

N9k4nhJ.jpg

• Upvote 2

Lack of water in your climate wont even phase them. Jubaea are one of the moat drought tolerant palms we grow. Easily on par with brahea armata. 

I bet they like the dry sunny summers over there. Those are getting pretty big. Thanks for the update!

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

A nicely trimmed windmill

W3jDELX.jpg

Two different fan palms, both in the ground for about two years with no winter protection.

uYjhr7Q.jpg

xjnwIL6.jpg

sqzOUMX.jpg

• Upvote 2

Absolutely awesome Jubaea! Love seeing that in the Seattle area. Tacoma has a hybrid one that's a cross with a Pindo I believe, but it's quite a bit smaller than the ones you posted.

Cheers.

Those Seattle Jubaea's are doing great along with those other palms. Thanks for sharing and updating!  I've got two JxB F2, one is about 6' tall (slow but steady grower) and a smaller one that's about half that size. I haven't had to protect mine in years.  

Here's the most current picture. 

DSC_0037.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1