IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Carlsmithii finally gets to go in the ground

Josh-O

I have been putting off planting this 15 gal D. carlsmithii for far to long. I finally decided today to just plant the darn thing.

Who else is growing this stately looking palm?

Post your pictures here..

IMG_6032.JPG.2162066873c1145969f897d0d3bIMG_6033.JPG.aafaf7f69cdf2796b925bfee918IMG_6034.JPG.15b1915d2ab8bf2d6be42cda111IMG_6035.JPG.2f3251ad7ea68668b82f1f3638eIMG_6038.JPG.ac2dc48577457860c4f85dc61edIMG_6039.JPG.a85f4194e86ba01d93bfe4b50c4IMG_6040.JPG.6b7508e90087299fb8f24302032

• Upvote 12

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Nice job Josh, here are a couple shots of my largest. They are a real performer here for me. First flower spike!!!!!! Consistent water from the roof

drain and planted in nice black clayish soil. 

aloha

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

• Upvote 13

Nice one josh! These do well in my soil and would be one of my favourites in the garden. Trouble free growing and always lots of colour. Colins is showing alot of purple which looks cool! Mine went inground in 2011 from a 200mm.

578464c5cd605_2016-07-1213.27.20.thumb.j

2016-07-12 13.27.03.jpg

Edited by fan palm
  • Upvote 12

50 minutes ago, colin Peters said:

Nice job Josh, here are a couple shots of my largest. They are a real performer here for me. First flower spike!!!!!! Consistent water from the roof

drain and planted in nice black clayish soil. 

aloha

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

Whoa! a head turner for sure :)

It must like all that extra water it gets from your roof runoff..

nicely done!

Sunset zone 24

3 minutes ago, fan palm said:

Nice one josh! These do well in my soil and would be one of my favourites in the garden. Trouble free growing and always lots of colour. Colins is showing alot of purple which looks cool! Mine went inground in 2011 from a 200mm.

2016-07-12 13.27.03.jpg

that is HUGE!!!!!!:drool:

I really like how the leaves are so re-curved. I hope mine looks like yours and Colln's someday??

Sunset zone 24

Now we Need Bill Austin to post a picture of his monster....muhuhahahahaha

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

27 minutes ago, fan palm said:

2016-07-12 13.27.03.jpg

Nice Growth 

• Upvote 1

That's a great palm, Josh, slow at first, but then picks up speed.  I dug around to find this photo of the original namesake in the Charmin Akina garden, formerly the Carlsmith garden north of Hilo.  You may have to move the coping or the fence one day; if all goes well, it will be much fatter than Mr. Tiki. 

DSC_0017.thumb.jpg.dfac1e1853aa349c1990c

• Upvote 10

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

57 minutes ago, Kim said:

That's a great palm, Josh, slow at first, but then picks up speed.  I dug around to find this photo of the original namesake in the Charmin Akina garden, formerly the Carlsmith garden north of Hilo.  You may have to move the coping or the fence one day; if all goes well, it will be much fatter than Mr. Tiki. 

DSC_0017.thumb.jpg.dfac1e1853aa349c1990c

Yikes! They get big in the tropics for sure.

I'm guessing they wont come close to that size here in California.

Dennis W. has the biggest specimen growing here In cali and I based my planting of his trunk size.. I hope I'm right ???

your picture is awesome!

how old do you think the tree you and Bo are standing under is?

Sunset zone 24

Nice work Josh, nice pics everyone, ill snap mine tomorrow mate, I took a pic of this at the city gardens last weekend 

IMG_6176.thumb.JPG.b13c95299efc762a73b29

• Upvote 7

Josh, all best with yours, it'll crank :greenthumb:

Colin, yrs is a beauty, great growing.  :greenthumb:

Harry, yours is a "Hummer", the chunkiest Ive seen in FNQ due to "full sun" planting.:greenthumb:

Look fwd to seeing yours  Bill Austin

Pete  :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

Josh, all best with yours, it'll crank :greenthumb:

Colin, yrs is a beauty, great growing.  :greenthumb:

Harry, yours is a "Hummer", the chunkiest Ive seen in FNQ due to "full sun" planting.:greenthumb:

Look fwd to seeing yours  Bill Austin

Pete  :)

Pete

Do you think they will be happy in my climate too?

R

Mohsen

Josh,

Looks like you planted this out in your back yard?

Great plant!

11 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Yikes! They get big in the tropics for sure.

I'm guessing they wont come close to that size here in California.

Dennis W. has the biggest specimen growing here In cali and I based my planting of his trunk size.. I hope I'm right ???

your picture is awesome!

how old do you think the tree you and Bo are standing under is?

I couldn't say exactly, but a few clues:  the Kew World Checklist shows the name as "accepted" as of 2002.  From there, following a link to the herbarium catalogue, you can see that Jeff Marcus submitted herbarium samples Sept 30, 1996.  A photo of the samples shows a leaf, flowers, and seeds taken from this specimen with hand-written labels, "STUMPY".  So apparently the palm was flowering and producing viable seed in 1996;  my WAG would put it as a seedling in 1985???  Or earlier??? Someone who has been into palms a bit longer would know..? Bo? :) 

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Looking great everyone, such a distinctive palm at any age. Thanks Kim for the refresher on the specimen north of Hilo. Impressive palm.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Two words. I wish 

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

While we wait for Bill Austin to blow us out of the water, here is a pic of one of mine (5-gal orange bucket for scale):

carlsmithii_MLM_071216.thumb.JPG.3ce90a3

Seed from a certain California palm seed seller in July 2003 under the name "Dypsis tokoravina". Planted in present spot from a 2-gal pot in Oct 2010.

• Upvote 12

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Here's the largest of mine.  I can think of at least three on the property, but maybe there's more.  They're definitely easy to grow, hassle free.

DSC00417t.jpg

• Upvote 4

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

55 minutes ago, mike in kurtistown said:

While we wait for Bill Austin to blow us out of the water, here is a pic of one of mine (5-gal orange bucket for scale):

Seed from a certain California palm seed seller in July 2003 under the name "Dypsis tokoravina". Planted in present spot from a 2-gal pot in Oct 2010.

I happen to have a recent photo of Bill's, with him for scale. I don't think he will mind.

DSC_0104.jpg

• Upvote 11

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Josh,

Thank you for initiating this thread with your work! It is really really nice to see

this spectacular looking species grown in different places and obviously doing so well!

Great photos - thank you everyone!

best regards

• Upvote 1

Geee'z Bill, do you inject or spray on the Steroids?      Pete  :D

DSC_0104.jpg

Here our our two that we picked up from Josh a few weeks back. One just planted two weeks ago, the other we are looking for the right spot. Thank you Josh for the palms and this thread. Very insperationel.

20160712_182551.jpg

20160712_182245.jpg

Funny enough about 4-5 weeks ago I was out digging around in the back 40 and found one labeled as Dypsis sp orange... although at the Dan at JDA surmised it was likey just a carlsmithii, I was eternally more optimistic. Considering the palm has been in a heavy soil 15 gal pot and COMPLETELY IGNORED for at 3-4 years it actually looks pretty good! There was barely any water to it and it was pretty covered up in weeds and honeysuckle had moved in. It had a decent leaf and a good spear which has now opened. I GUARANTEE this palm has seen 26F a few nights in 2007 in the same place and survived! Slow and Hardy.. and will likely explode when I plant it.................. someday.

I think yours will get much larger Josh.

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

46 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I GUARANTEE this palm has seen 26F a few nights in 2007 in the same place and survived! Slow and Hardy.. and will likely explode when I plant it.................. someday.

After surviving that in a pot, you owe it a good spot in the ground of your garden!  I can practically hear it calling out now... "plant me, plant me!"   Joking aside, I didn't realize it was such a hardy palm.  Do you think the one you have is just an outlier from the normal bell curve distribution or is this actually "normal" that they handle those temps?

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I think a lot of Dypsis can survive this... they may not like it and get some serious damage... but come back.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I think I need to show these photos to the two that I have growing in my garden to inspire them and show them what they are supposed to turn into.  Both of mine are painfully slow and were started from small sized plants to begin with.  

Amazing photos everyone, thanks for posting!

• Upvote 1

On 7/12/2016, 1:01:56, mike in kurtistown said:

carlsmithii_MLM_071216.thumb.JPG.3ce90a3

amazing!!! that base is starting to blow up! What a great palm you have there Mike. I can only hope mine will get that big someday?

Sunset zone 24

On 7/12/2016, 1:43:07, Justin said:

Here's the largest of mine.  I can think of at least three on the property, but maybe there's more.  They're definitely easy to grow, hassle free.

DSC00417t.jpg

awesome picture !! Thanks for sharing. sooooo beautiful

Sunset zone 24

On 7/12/2016, 1:58:56, Dypsisdean said:

I happen to have a recent photo of Bill's, with him for scale. I don't think he will mind.

DSC_0104.jpg

wow!!!!

Sunset zone 24

On 7/12/2016, 2:11:11, palmfriend said:

Josh,

Thank you for initiating this thread with your work! It is really really nice to see

this spectacular looking species grown in different places and obviously doing so well!

Great photos - thank you everyone!

best regards

Thanks lars, sometime just simple little posts like this can be fun and very educational

Sunset zone 24

On 7/12/2016, 6:34:53, talkjk said:

Here our our two that we picked up from Josh a few weeks back. One just planted two weeks ago, the other we are looking for the right spot. Thank you Josh for the palms and this thread. Very insperationel.

20160712_182551.jpg

20160712_182245.jpg

wow! That 20 gal didn't skip a beat! you picked the perfect spot. now its time to plant that fat 5 gal as well :)

Sunset zone 24

23 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Funny enough about 4-5 weeks ago I was out digging around in the back 40 and found one labeled as Dypsis sp orange... although at the Dan at JDA surmised it was likey just a carlsmithii, I was eternally more optimistic. Considering the palm has been in a heavy soil 15 gal pot and COMPLETELY IGNORED for at 3-4 years it actually looks pretty good! There was barely any water to it and it was pretty covered up in weeds and honeysuckle had moved in. It had a decent leaf and a good spear which has now opened. I GUARANTEE this palm has seen 26F a few nights in 2007 in the same place and survived! Slow and Hardy.. and will likely explode when I plant it.................. someday.

I think yours will get much larger Josh.

I say plant it!!!! :)

I hope Gary chimes in with a picture of his beast

Sunset zone 24

On 7/12/2016, 8:01:55, Monòver said:

This is my biggest carlsmithii:floor:

IMG-20160712-WA0008.jpg

soon to be a monster...

Sunset zone 24

On 7/12/2016, 6:57:58, Palm Tree Jim said:

Josh,

Looks like you planted this out in your back yard?

Great plant!

yeah, its at my house in carlsbad. I have a 10' tall 20 gal I'm going to plant out tomorrow at the Vista garden

Sunset zone 24

12 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I think a lot of Dypsis can survive this... they may not like it and get some serious damage... but come back.

true dat!!!

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Seeing a few posts here reminded me I wanted to snap a pic... ended up being at night.. but the 15gal pot gives scale to the nice brom and Dypsis nauseosa on the far left...

20160713_212855.thumb.jpg.3e1521281b689c

• Upvote 1

This one went in the ground earlier this year from a 15 gal pot after I got the stump ground from an ugly African Oil Palm (see thread on Least Favorite Palms); hard to get good pics with sun and other palms in the way.

DSCN6912.JPG

DSCN6914.JPG

• Upvote 3