Jump to content
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg


Pal Meir

Recommended Posts

On 5/19/2023 at 4:25 PM, Pal Meir said:

Ceiling-scraper N°1301 vs. bonsai N°1306c, both germinated 10 years ago in April 2013. – N°1401 is L insigne, germinated in February 2014.

1421990803_Balconia2023-05-19IMG_0875.thumb.jpg.e77280c812a5d8c88bf47bf9c6293b0a.jpg

Are we in germany ? 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They should mass produce these palms as potted plants because these seem to do better than majesties

Edited by ZPalms
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 3:50 PM, ZPalms said:

They should mass produce these palms as potted plants because these seem to do better than majesties

They are one of the most produced palms for nurseries ... in Brazil.

  • Like 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

 

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Alberto said:

They are one of the most produced palms for nurseries ... in Brazil.

I want one sooo baddd, I have a spot in my room that currently has a fake palm tree about the size of one of these dudes and it would be cool to have an actual living one 😍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I want one sooo baddd, I have a spot in my room that currently has a fake palm tree about the size of one of these dudes and it would be cool to have an actual living one 😍

If they are difficult to obtain, like most of the cold hardy palms are in Brazil, you have to try to cultivated this Lytocarium  sp from seeds.... Most of my palms I germinated myself. It' s regarding!

  • Like 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

 

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of voluteers in the araucaria forest around my mature L. weddelianum. They grow fast! I have already mature palms of L. weddelianum x L. hoehnei I made myself. 

 

20230625_160755.jpg

20230625_160824.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

 

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alberto said:

If they are difficult to obtain, like most of the cold hardy palms are in Brazil, you have to try to cultivated this Lytocarium  sp from seeds.... Most of my palms I germinated myself. It' s regarding!

 

1 hour ago, Alberto said:

A lot of voluteers in the araucaria forest around my mature L. weddelianum. They grow fast! I have already mature palms of L. weddelianum x L. hoehnei I made myself. 

 

20230625_160755.jpg

20230625_160824.jpg

Awesome!!!! You hybridized those palms yourself and planted them? how long did it take to get them to this size? I would try to grow from seed if a good trustable source popped up! 😍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2023 at 9:15 PM, Alberto said:

A lot of voluteers in the araucaria forest around my mature L. weddelianum. They grow fast! I have already mature palms of L. weddelianum x L. hoehnei I made myself. 

 

20230625_160755.jpg

20230625_160824.jpg

are they for sale ? 😍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/14/2023 at 3:45 PM, psy460 said:

Amazing! Thanks for sharing !

 

I have a question for you, i have a 2years old one there, i wish to repot it si ce long time but it still have only one root, and i'm affraid to break it. I can't put it outside because wind would broke it, 

 

Is that's normal that it doesn't make new roots ? 

 

IMG_20230414_154205.thumb.jpg.05212626ab707b87d021cdc3fd2dd17c.jpg

 

 

 

6 month later it didn't grow at all, and didn't made new roots :(

 

i repoted it, i gave root stimulator, i even try to lean the pot to stimulate root emission, i tried with dry soil, with very wet soil, ... nothing helped 😕

 

the only root it has, is the very first one when it germinated. 

 

you think i should cut some parts of the roots ? 

i'm affraid that it will just make it even more struggling...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, psy460 said:

6 month later it didn't grow at all, and didn't made new roots :(

 

i repoted it, i gave root stimulator, i even try to lean the pot to stimulate root emission, i tried with dry soil, with very wet soil, ... nothing helped 😕

 

the only root it has, is the very first one when it germinated. 

 

you think i should cut some parts of the roots ? 

i'm affraid that it will just make it even more struggling...

Your soil mix is nor adequate. You ought to use a fast draining one like the ones below:

SoilLweddellIMG_908081.thumb.jpg.e895591937e9771a53d24ab9238e947a.jpg

SoilP102086768.thumb.jpg.2e3d7b3fa696532435781e8408c02e6f.jpg

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yes that why i made my own mix too as shown above, like you advised me in april, to get very draining soil, but it change nothing. 

I have another small weddellianum, 100% potting mix, very heavy, it already has 3 roots.

i'm sure that if i put it in the ground it will be the same. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dec 2020-Oct 2023. I feel like it should have grown more in ~3 years. It's in the @Pal Meir soilless recipe in a 6" clay pot and watered regularly. 

Message_1608331283423.jpg.7008a29b6ae256a4d0f24b62ab3192c3 (1).jpg

IMG_20231014_163848.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Dec 2020-Oct 2023. I feel like it should have grown more in ~3 years. It's in the @Pal Meir soilless recipe in a 6" clay pot and watered regularly. 

Message_1608331283423.jpg.7008a29b6ae256a4d0f24b62ab3192c3 (1).jpg

IMG_20231014_163848.jpg

I had a similar problem with my N°1308. So I checked the root system and decided to repot it more carefully with the same potting mix into the same pot; the result you can see below (cf. also »The lyto which would not grow bigger«):

N13082015-09-28IMG_8323.thumb.jpg.b1070a264bcdc39ae755ed967158a76c.jpg

N13082017-07-23IMG_930710.thumb.jpg.116abcb88dbc469df0a050ace3310023.jpg

PS: Please don't mix pumice into the soil.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went ahead and did that. Roots seem healthy, maybe I should have started with a 4 inch pot instead of a 6 inch? But I did notice that I accidentally put 2 of the little plastic screens in this pot. I also set it in the pot just a little bit lower. My roots aren't in a ball yet, so I was extra delicate with everything. They look way better than your first picture but nowhere near the other one. 

 

Let's hope he gets a little taller now 😎 Thanks Pal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Look what showed up at my door! A wedding palm. 
planted and ready to be enjoyed.  Wanted one for a long time.  I guess it needs moderate lighting.  
 

EBD977AF-2BA1-4BB7-ACDD-C7B5789BA4E0.jpeg

DD701163-A381-4A11-B197-B635BCD5933D.jpeg

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2024 at 7:26 PM, Paradise Found said:

Look what showed up at my door! A wedding palm. 
planted and ready to be enjoyed.  Wanted one for a long time.  I guess it needs moderate lighting.  
 

EBD977AF-2BA1-4BB7-ACDD-C7B5789BA4E0.jpeg

DD701163-A381-4A11-B197-B635BCD5933D.jpeg

Nice! Where'd you get it from if you don't mind me asking?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No problem;  I got it from Wekiva Foliage in Florida.  A 4” pot was $36.00 free shipping.   That was the best price I could find. 
Wekvia foliage is a member here on palm talk. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

No problem;  I got it from Wekiva Foliage in Florida.  A 4” pot was $36.00 free shipping.   That was the best price I could find. 
Wekvia foliage is a member here on palm talk. 

That's a great price! Shipped in its pot?

 

I thought I was done buying plants for a while but I guess not lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

That's a great price! Shipped in its pot?

 

I thought I was done buying plants for a while but I guess not lol. 

Yes shipped in pot that’s the only way to go.   Yes a good buy can’t beat free shipping too.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Yes shipped in pot that’s the only way to go.   Yes a good buy can’t beat free shipping too.  

Yeah, these are sooooo root sensitive. I bought one bare root a few years ago and it didn't last a month. My mom dropped one and the pot shattered and it died a day later too. When I repotted this one under Pal Meir's advice I was super super careful. It was growing slowly and he suggested I rearrange and put it back in the same potting mix, and a piece of bark was mostly blocking the drainage hole. Bought this as a seedling I think in 2021 

IMG_20240219_184508.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Looking good nice recovering  how fast do they grow?

Nowhere near as fast as Pal Meir's lol. It's definitely picked up speed since I rearranged it in its potting mix. Also just ordered another from Wekiva. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...