IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nainital info

palm789

Hi I found a genuine Nainital on the internet with trunk.it got some winter damage I bought cheap.what is the difference between this and a regular fortunei?

Will the winter damaged fronds heal up in a few weeks after I recieve and plant it.and how much trunk does it put on per growing season.

On May 19, 2016 1:05:55 PM, palm789 said:

Hi I found a genuine Nainital on the internet with trunk.it got some winter damage I bought cheap.what is the difference between this and a regular fortunei?

Will the winter damaged fronds heal up in a few weeks after I recieve and plant it.and how much trunk does it put on per growing season.

The difference is Nainital has a thicker trunk, longer fiber on trunk and a much more fuller crown of leaves and,…. the leaf lets are wider also.  

Grows about the same rate as fortunei, same hardiness.  Where is this palm coming from that it would have winter damage? 

Thanks for the reply.the place I ever bought from is in the uk.Is it true the fan fronds of nainital are much bigger than regular fortunei.

Don’t worry about the damage leaves, once their damage they will not look better. Whats more important is the new growth (spears) are good and root system is good. 

MIne was the smaller in a group of three, now is the tallest. Not a true gauge really as I've had regular T fort's do similar. It's a healthy old girl.

Cheers, Barrie.

• 2 weeks later...

Trachycarpus Nainital are in fact Trachycarpus fortunei introduced by Robert Fortune when he made his way back from China in the 19 e century. He took seeds from T. fortunei back home with him from an island south of Shanghai. And he stayed arround 2 weeks in the Nainital area, bussy with inspecting theagardens there. In those days there where not native palms in that area found! The native Trachycarpus takil is found a couple of hundres kilometers away from Nainital, not in the Nainital area itself!

Alexander