Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg


ChrisA

Recommended Posts

Well winter has really hit New Mexico now. We were forecasted to get 5-8 inches of snow, but got just over an inch. Below are pictures of my Filibusta covered with snow.  We've gotten down in the low 20's but with snow having sat on them all day with now warmth I expect I will lose the played out fronds.  

 

Below are the photos and a photo of our extended forecast.  This is going to be one hell of a winter! The forecast for the next 30 days, and hopefully it's not accurate, foretells about 20 that are mid teens or lower. Yuck!!!  At least we avoided the blizzard the plains received. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

PROTECT THOSE HYBRIDS!

  • Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ChrisA said:

Well winter has really hit New Mexico now. We were forecasted to get 5-8 inches of snow, but got just over an inch. Below are pictures of my Filibusta covered with snow.  We've gotten down in the low 20's but with snow having sat on them all day with now warmth I expect I will lose the played out fronds.  

 

Below are the photos and a photo of our extended forecast.  This is going to be one hell of a winter! The forecast for the next 30 days, and hopefully it's not accurate, foretells about 20 that are mid teens or lower. Yuck!!!  At least we avoided the blizzard the plains received. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Statistically this is the coldest time of the year.. but I like when the sun is out...  not so much with the moisture and cold.  Lets see how it goes !  I'm getting all of my wall o waters out tomorrow!

  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear god that is a nightmare week forecast. I'd be cursing up a storm. I've been keeping track of this blizzard and deep, deep dip in the jet stream and have been wondering how you're doing out there. Sit tight and, to echo David's sentiments, PROTECT THE HYBRID(S)!!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm afraid mine is too big for a wall o water.  The forecast has been re-adjusted, I think based on the fact that we didn't get the snow they thought we would so that should allow the bare ground to moderate those temperatures!

 

i will get some burlap, but what is the best method to tie the fronds up? I always get cut when I get too involved with those petioles, hahahaha!

 

Good luck to all of you trying to keep your palms going through this cold blast. Here is to the Nee Year and hopefully the return of our strong sun.  Fog and 22 degrees at the moment, but once the sun comes back out the palm should be able to enjoy some basking against my south wall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2015‎ ‎1‎:‎36‎:‎43‎, smithgn said:

Dear god that is a nightmare week forecast. I'd be cursing up a storm. I've been keeping track of this blizzard and deep, deep dip in the jet stream and have been wondering how you're doing out there. Sit tight and, to echo David's sentiments, PROTECT THE HYBRID(S)!!

Nightmare is right..  I just read a news report that NM will lose an estimated 20,000 head of cattle because of it.  So that's pretty crazy.

I fear the aftermath and hope this isn't what winter will be like for the next couple months. I started protecting a little but want to wait until we warm just a bit. I covered the wall o water over the JXS hybrid with an insulated bag.

It really wasn't super cold.. with a low of 16f one morning.. but was below 20f for over 4 hours that day. Despite what they have been forecasting the lows stayed above 20f so lucky I guess...

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎07‎:‎42‎, ChrisA said:

I'm afraid mine is too big for a wall o water.  The forecast has been re-adjusted, I think based on the fact that we didn't get the snow they thought we would so that should allow the bare ground to moderate those temperatures!

 

i will get some burlap, but what is the best method to tie the fronds up? I always get cut when I get too involved with those petioles, hahahaha!

 

Good luck to all of you trying to keep your palms going through this cold blast. Here is to the Nee Year and hopefully the return of our strong sun.  Fog and 22 degrees at the moment, but once the sun comes back out the palm should be able to enjoy some basking against my south wall.

Same to you.. just came out of nowhere it seems like...  The snow fog has lifted...  what the heck was that??!?!?!?  lol

 

Heres to the sun!

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Nightmare is right..  I just read a news report that NM will lose an estimated 20,000 head of cattle because of it.  So that's pretty crazy.

I fear the aftermath and hope this isn't what winter will be like for the next couple months. I started protecting a little but want to wait until we warm just a bit. I covered the wall o water over the JXS hybrid with an insulated bag.

It really wasn't super cold.. with a low of 16f one morning.. but was below 20f for over 4 hours that day. Despite what they have been forecasting the lows stayed above 20f so lucky I guess...

Wow, crazy!

If the JXS is cold hardy like we all think it is, it should be okay with what you've done to it. As long as you keep the wind off of the plant and freezing precipitation out. It  probably was a few degrees warmer inside the bag as well. And yeah, that's not super cold compared to what could have been. Did y'all get hit by a lot of ice? That would be a real kicker...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I certainly feel like we lucked out in a way. The snow fog was crazy, but maybe all that humidity/fog helped to keep the night time temperatures higher than they would've been.  My palm is definitely showing some damage to the fronds but hopefully it won't be catastrophic.  The hours and hours and hours of freezing really does a job on them, even if we never got colder than what we've gotten down to so far (technically an zone 8B winter) it would still kill off a lot of vegetation due to the duration of subfreezing weather.

 

Hopefully this doesn't foretell of the winter to come. The latest forecast has us getting into the upper 40's next week with lows in the mid to upper 20's. That will be much better.

 

The snow has melted off my palm fronds but there are still icicles hanging from the threads that dangle from the tips of the fronds. We'll just have to take heart that the daylight grows with each passing sunset! LOL!

 

Take care and good luck!

-Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gave up protection after 2011 with good results so far. Trachies, filifera's  and a med palm. nothing exotic. I like to sleep and not worry about the weather.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never had long term luck with Mediterranean Fan palm without protection. Maybe I need to give it another shot in a good location.

The good news now is that with each day we will get more light, more sun, more solar insolation. Barring any freaky events like what happened back in 2011, we should be out of the worst time for palms in Albuquerque which I consider to be mid December to the end of January. February begins our warm up and by early March the days are more spring like than winter and the sun has gained significantly in strength.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ChrisA said:

I've never had long term luck with Mediterranean Fan palm without protection. Maybe I need to give it another shot in a good location.

The good news now is that with each day we will get more light, more sun, more solar insolation. Barring any freaky events like what happened back in 2011, we should be out of the worst time for palms in Albuquerque which I consider to be mid December to the end of January. February begins our warm up and by early March the days are more spring like than winter and the sun has gained significantly in strength.

I hear that! I always breathe a small sigh of relief once we pass December 21st. Although, for us in the east, we're just starting on our icy, cold adventure. January looks pretty, ehh, normal. I don't even want to know what February looks like... Despite almost 2 months after the winter solstice, we get hit the hardest in the middle of February. The sun doesn't have anything when it comes to the icy cold winds from the north :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎19‎:‎46‎, jwitt said:

Gave up protection after 2011 with good results so far. Trachies, filifera's  and a med palm. nothing exotic. I like to sleep and not worry about the weather.

lol..  true true

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015‎ ‎4‎:‎29‎:‎02‎, ChrisA said:

Yes, I certainly feel like we lucked out in a way. The snow fog was crazy, but maybe all that humidity/fog helped to keep the night time temperatures higher than they would've been.  My palm is definitely showing some damage to the fronds but hopefully it won't be catastrophic.  The hours and hours and hours of freezing really does a job on them, even if we never got colder than what we've gotten down to so far (technically an zone 8B winter) it would still kill off a lot of vegetation due to the duration of subfreezing weather.

 

Hopefully this doesn't foretell of the winter to come. The latest forecast has us getting into the upper 40's next week with lows in the mid to upper 20's. That will be much better.

 

The snow has melted off my palm fronds but there are still icicles hanging from the threads that dangle from the tips of the fronds. We'll just have to take heart that the daylight grows with each passing sunset! LOL!

 

Take care and good luck!

-Chris

What is up with this weather? I swear it has been 36f for the past 3 days..

My 3 TorC filifera still look great after all of that weather we just had.. my large 12 footer is showing damage already.    Everything else looks ok for right now but I'm almost certain there will be spear damage.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I think they've gofed the forecast as well.  The temperature has stayed abnormally steady for the entire week.  Now we have storm 3 of 4 coming through, actually it literally just came through with light rain, drizzle and mixed in flurries. I've checked the radar and that looks like that's about it.  It will be turning colder though as Tucson is currently at the temperature we are at.

My large Filibusta is also showing some frond damage but I don't expect any spear damage from what we've had so far.  No real warm up seems to be in the offing yet, so we may have another three weeks until we see temps back into the 50's. This week has been unusual in the amount of cloudy days we've had, we had three or four in a row which I haven't seen here in a long time.  I feel like I'm back east! Lol

 

Watch out for storm four, Saturday night I think.  If you blink you'll probably miss it going by! 

 

Good luck! Hope your 12 footer will be okay!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...