IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Un-boxing my BUTIA X JUBAEA HYBRID!!! [How to properly ship a palm tree or plant.]

OverGrown

Here is a funny story;

Last week I came across Keith's post of his newly arrived BuJubaea... http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47899-bujubaea-the-way-to-pack-a-palm/  

...The hybrid sounded interesting and as I scrolled down, Ben had mentioned that he picked one up as well... All I noticed then was that Keith had like 10,000plus posts and seemed to have been seeking this one out for awhile...Just as I was wondering in my head where he had acquired this hybrid (as I was simultaneously scrolling down through the post), a couple others inquired about his source...Right as I got to the end, Debra, the grower of the palm had chimed in with a link to her auction and provided a little info on her palms.  I checked it out, briefly read the description of something along the lines of (paraphrasing here) "long silver fronds that are 15ft+"   ...and before I was even halfway through reading everything, I just thought screw it and clicked on the buy it now to order the palm...and then I waited...and then doubt started to set in as the thread continued and a few others brought up points about it being crossed back to butia suggesting that there would be little aesthetic differences...a crapshoot so to speak...I figure what the heck and lets see how this plays out...and so I let it ride...and waited some more...

...And then....... I came home to this!

IMG_1596.jpg

I walked straight to my toolbox in the garage without even stepping into the house...

IMG_1597.jpg

..and started to carefully cut the packaging tape...

IMG_1598.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

after cutting the tape I was like "huh, no way, I think the flaps are glued down like some manufacturers do"  but I've never seen someone do this for interstate goods

IMG_1599.jpg

so i carefully peeled away..

IMG_1600.jpg

and as I lifted the flaps.. I noticed this little pieced intended to keep the stake in place...very nifty and nicely thought out.

IMG_1601-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

so I looked into the box to assess the plants position and decided to make my incision along the corner...notice that signs that was posted on all four sides of the box indicating which side to keep up

IMG_1602-1.jpg

pulling one side away, while noticing the cardboard form meant to hold the pot in place.

IMG_1603-1.jpg

whipped out the tape measure for scale...

IMG_1604-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

slid the pot and plant out and went to remove the zip tie which held together the high durometer bag, which in turn held all the contents of the container in place. Another cardboard form was implemented over the top of the bag above the soil to hold styrofoam spacers in place, which in turn minimized movement of the soil within the container....VERY WELL THOUGHT OUT!  I am continually being impressed as the un-boxing moves forward.

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

fronds were held together in three places...

IMG_1607.jpg

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

first one removed, two more to go!

IMG_1608.jpg

Green plant tape is no match for my snips...

IMG_1609.jpg

last one!! almost there!

IMG_1610.jpg

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

unbound...

IMG_1611.jpg

then i switched up to some scissors and started to cut away at the tape holding the exterior cardboard form

IMG_1612.jpg

styrofoam spacers exposed but still taped to the bag...the attention to detail is amazing

IMG_1613.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

opened up the bag to reveal yet another layer of protection in the form of bubble wrapping the trunk and another cardboard form holding the dirt in place!

IMG_1614.jpg

cutting away the fourth agricultural tape used to bound the fronds.

IMG_1615.jpg

time for the bubble wrap to go..

IMG_1616.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

and as I pulled the bubble wrap away, I was surprised yet again...WHAAT??!  paper towel used to cushion the bubble wrap!!!  MIND BLOWN!!

IMG_1617.jpg

So i tried to cut the paper towel but it was damp and not cutting easily..

IMG_1618.jpg

had to resort to using my fingers to just rip it...

IMG_1619.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

started to peel way the last cardboard form used to hold the soil in place...but decided against it until I moved the plant into the backyard and away from my front doorstep.

IMG_1620.jpg

...and now for a break to show you the tools I used ...

IMG_1621.jpg

....free at last.

IMG_1622.jpg

LA | NY | OC

I moved the box so you could see the silhouette better...

IMG_1623.jpg

no trunk yet!

IMG_1625.jpg

frond number one for your consideration...recurved.

IMG_1626.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

...and then as I was lifting it into its staging position....this fell out from under it! ...another paper towel for the bottom of the pot!

IMG_1630.jpg

the potting medium it was in...pretty nice stuff.

IMG_1631.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

And that my friends, is the un-boxing of my Butia X Jubaea hybrid...  Hope you had a good laugh!

LA | NY | OC

It's always a beautiful sight to behold when that oblong box appears at your front door.

I enjoyed this thoroughly lol Thanks for sharing.

You did a better job than I did at showing the exceptional packing.  I'll leave mine in the same pot over the winter with bottom heat so it can recover from the shipping trauma, aka Gorillas working for UPS.     Can't wait to plant mine out in the late spring.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

That's a great play-by-play. Really enjoyed sharing the experience with you.

:-)

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Good info for shipping a palm.

I'm sure it will be a nice palm, whatever it ends up looking like, but I will say though I am still a bit skeptical, it doesn't look exactly like a Butia at that size. No "windows", greener, no flared base.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Here is the ebay description;

RARE SILVER BLUE BUTIA PALM HYBRID Jubautia splendens - Newly named Butia Odorata x Jubaea - 
YOU ARE BIDDING ON A LARGE 4 FT PALM WITH VERY LARGE MATURE LEAVES IN A 7 GALLON CONTAINER.

Backyard Paradise Nursery specializes in rare silver blue butia hybrid palms that are cold hardy.  Backyard Paradise Nursery has a collection of rare silver blue palms from the hybrid Butia Odorata x Jubaea mother seed parent pictured above.  We are offering some of them for sale for the first time in seven gallon containers.  The palms are sent in the container to avoid transplant shock and deaths from bare soil shipping.  The photos of the mature tree and flowers/fruit/seeds in this listing are of the actual mother of the palms offered for sale here.  This Butia Jubaea hybrid is very similar to those Butia odoratas from Brazil and Uruguay, huge trunks and leaves that recurve strongly and hang down, massive trunks with much more fiber, and large fruits. In fact this hybrid can produce seeds that are comparable to the Jubaea and I had never seen Butia seeds like these.  It is one of the "feather leaf" palms trees that have abundant leaves almost 15+ ft long.

Butia odorata x Jubaea chilensis hybrid is certainly a winner. It is hardier than a Butia and faster growing than a Butia or Jubaea and matures as a very large and most impressive palm. The leaves shown with scale of a person go from the very top of the tree estimated at 20+ feet to almost touching the ground.  The trunk is incredibly massive and larger than any other butia I have seen adding to the rare quality of this palm. The silver blue color is also very rare and adds to the elegance and beauty of a specimen palm.  During hot and dry summer months the color of the leaves goes to a gorgeous silver color shown in the photos.  Butia x Jubaea is self-fertile and capable of producing its own hybrid seedlings.

This rare blue butia jubaea palm is a massive hybrid that combines the elegance of the Butia (Pindo or Jelly Palm) with the size of the Jubaea Palm (Chilean Wine Palm).  It is believed that this Butia Odorata hybrid pictured is a descendant from palm tree experimentation with crossing Butia x Jubaea in the 1970's in north central Florida.  The palm is fast growing and very cold hardy to 10 degrees Fahrenheit when mature.  The palm has a feather-like appearance from very long leaves that are distinctive in number and somewhat twisted.  The striking silver blue color and form makes for an outstanding feature specimen that should mature to 30-50 feet tall with an unusual large diameter trunk.  

Dr. Donal Hodel, University of California, has recently published a paper that suggests the name xJubautia splendens "Dick Douglas" for the hybrid offspring from Butia Odorata x Jubaea. The xJubautia splendens hybrid gets it's very large trunk and size from the Jubaea or Chilean Wine Palm influence. The seeds are also very large (some up to about 1 in) and are either elongated like Butia x Jubaea hybrids or round like the Jubaea.  Our beautiful silver blue Mother seed parent Jubautia splendens aka Butia Odorata x Jubaea hybrid "Dick Douglas" has magenta flowers that produce very juicy large fruit.  The hybrid has both male and female flowers so they self pollinate and are shown in our photos.  The magenta color and form of this flowering is beautiful and is replaced by production of numerous seed/fruit stalks starting in May that continues through September.  Scale shows that seeds are commonly 3/4 to 1 inch. I have not seen any other Butia seeds that are this large unless they are a hybrid. The seeds were sun dried and then planted outdoors in our nursery located in northern Florida in the fall so that they would go through the winter and several freezes. We believe that seeds are "imprinted" with characteristics from the cold survival that they endure before they germinate in the spring.

This Butia Jubaea hybrid we are selleing is similar to those Butia Odoratas that are found in Brazil and Uruguay.  In 2010 Noblick in Lorenzi's new book redefined the characteristics of the "true" or "real" big blue Butia Odorata. The true big blue Butia Odorata is originally from southern Brazil called Rio Grande do Sul near the border with Uruguay. It is grown in cultivation and found in some wild locations in other parts of Rio Grande do Sul. In Brazil, people have had Butia Odorata hybrids similar to this palm for sale in cultivation to improve fruit and even have fruit festivals. The size of the fruit and seed is most probably due to selection since the Butia Odorata palms had been selected and grown specifically for eating.  Butia fruits are very popular and you can buy the juice where it is used for flavor in ice cream. In fruit season you see fruit sellers along the sides of the roads and people throwing eaten fruit seeds out of cars have led to Butia Jubaea trees growing wild along the roadsides. Interestingly, they also put the fruits into the local moonshine made from sugar cane to give it a nutty flavour.  A palm enthusiast visiting Brazil was amazed when in Brazil he found those Butia Odoratas.  He described his experience as "the ground started to rise a little above sea level as we approached Santa Maria and then as if by magic Butias appeared, this time BIG blue/grey Butias."  Talking to the locals, Butias were part of life and they were grown for the juicy fruits. Those plants with the largest juiciest fruits were selected and grown. One lady told him she had taken the plant from further south close to the border with Uruguay, another old man said his was from a nearby palm in Rio grande Do Sul but he could not remember where. These palms were evidence that large Butia odoratas are native to this part of Brazil and probably across the border in Uruguay.

LA | NY | OC

The proof of the pudding is in the growing!

Have to make it over for a visit to coo over the yard full of adorable babies.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Glad you guys enjoyed it.  I had a good time with it...I think the shipping was worth it alone! 

I'm relatively new to hybrids, in fact, this is my first one.  I'm reserving judgement until at least couple growing seasons here in SoCal as I'm pretty sure climatic & cultural differences (humid florida vs dry socal, shade cloth vs full sun) play a part in its current aesthetic.  My initial thoughts are that it currently doesn't have the stiff leaflets or waxy hints of blue of a butia, but instead the 'softness' of a syagrus, but that again could me a microclimate thing or maybe it was grown under shade cloth. There are no hooks at the ends of the leaflets and they are currently green.  It does have a signs of being plumose and long recurvature at least on two out of the three biggest fronds relative to its size.   

LA | NY | OC

Bought one of these myself and was stunned at the low shipping cost ($28.00) for a potted  7 gallon palm. Thought the price of the palm and shipping was pretty cheap, and like pics show, packaged really, really well. Mine will reside in the garage for the rest of the winter.

10 hours ago, OverGrown said:

Glad you guys enjoyed it.  I had a good time with it...I think the shipping was worth it alone! 

I'm relatively new to hybrids, in fact, this is my first one.  I'm reserving judgement until at least couple growing seasons here in SoCal as I'm pretty sure climatic & cultural differences (humid florida vs dry socal, shade cloth vs full sun) play a part in its current aesthetic.  My initial thoughts are that it currently doesn't have the stiff leaflets or waxy hints of blue of a butia, but instead the 'softness' of a syagrus, but that again could me a microclimate thing or maybe it was grown under shade cloth. There are no hooks at the ends of the leaflets and they are currently green.  It does have a signs of being plumose and long recurvature at least on two out of the three biggest fronds relative to its size.   

Keep us posted on how it does with pictures, mine will have to stay potted but looking forward to the upcoming growing season for sure.

Check out the differences between your plant and this Butia. It's a volunteer I moved to this spot, which gets full sun all day. My boot is size 11 for scale. You can't see it because of the mulch I just added, but the leaf bases are reddish-brown at the very bottom. Yours are green.

Also, you mentioned it might be plumose. Butia are never plumose to my knowledge. I'm leaning towards an actual hybrid.

IMG_20151218_174650772.jpg

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

I have no doubts that it is a hybrid.  The area of interest is what it will look like...Here a few more pics...

Of all the fronds that currently on the palm, this is the only two leaflets that have the "windowing" trait.  

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

This frond is more erect that may suggest jubaea traits?

IMG_1771.jpg

This different frond has a natural twist to it suggesting butia?

IMG_1772.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

leaftlet arrangement... the last two on the left just haven't separated but has a seem where it could down the line, visibly different characteristic from the first frond exhibited prior.

IMG_1773.jpg

another frond exhibiting a twist and droopy-ness. 

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

Edited by OverGrown
  • Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

• 7 months later...

Fantastic visuals of unboxing a palm. .I boubt even a Oled tv's too don't come so properly pack.

I learnt a lot how to pack a palm.And wish you all the best with your BxJ.

Thanks and love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I love this palm and am getting another 24" boxed size this fall.

They do so well in our harsh climate.  All they ask is for water...

and lots of it!  Also great here is the Jubea x Queen cross.

I cannot say enough good about these two.  Try them.

In the Fallbrook area, Bill Early has the best prices.

I didn't know that there were breeders other than Patrick that were making the J x Q cross. What sizes does Bill have?

8 hours ago, kirkhutch said:

I didn't know that there were breeders other than Patrick that were making the J x Q cross. What sizes does Bill have?

Ditto.

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 98°, Lo 75°

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

Coming out of the greenhouse in the past month or so...bluish hints are more apparent to the natural eye than on camera.

IMG_7092.jpg

IMG_7093.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

On 8/12/2016, 12:17:04, mcrawford said:

I love this palm and am getting another 24" boxed size this fall.

They do so well in our harsh climate.  All they ask is for water...

and lots of it!  Also great here is the Jubea x Queen cross.

I cannot say enough good about these two.  Try them.

In the Fallbrook area, Bill Early has the best prices.

On 8/12/2016, 2:40:28, kirkhutch said:

Monte, do you mind answering Kirk's question? What prices are they?

Hi 106°, Lo 77°

I bought a 36" "short" box from him a couple yrs ago.

I know he had others, probably 24's as well.

He also had several pindo x queens of varying sizes.

After my friends and I (in the Phx area) not

being able to keep the straight Jubaea alive,

I am delighted how well this guy is doing...

and it should be faster as well.

Jubaea x Butia July 2015.jpg

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, mcrawford said:

I bought a 36" "short" box from him a couple yrs ago.

I know he had others, probably 24's as well.

He also had several pindo x queens of varying sizes.

After my friends and I (in the Phx area) not

being able to keep the straight Jubaea alive,

I am delighted how well this guy is doing...

and it should be faster as well.

Jubaea x Butia July 2015.jpg

That's very nice palm. All of the hybrids can be a bit confusing for me as I'm still learning all of the characteristics of the parent palms. This palm looks to me to have strong Butia characteristics. Is this the palm that you understand to be a J x S? The J x S I have seen images of from Patric seem to have no recurve, the fronds are much more erect, and the boots (from what I can see) seem different.

4 hours ago, kirkhutch said:

That's very nice palm. All of the hybrids can be a bit confusing for me as I'm still learning all of the characteristics of the parent palms. This palm looks to me to have strong Butia characteristics. Is this the palm that you understand to be a J x S? The J x S I have seen images of from Patric seem to have no recurve, the fronds are much more erect, and the boots (from what I can see) seem different.

I agree - sorry Monte.  That's not JxS...that looks completely different, can't just be hybrid variability.  That's butia or butia and something, IMO.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Monte, thanks for responding and posting the image. As Kirk and Ben have said the J x S (JxQ) has a distinctive look. I bought 2 from Patric(k) Schafer and they have some individual characteristics, but most features are similar. What you posted is most likely either a Butia or a Butia Jubaea.

Hi 104°, Lo 78°