IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BuJubaea - The Way to Pack a Palm

_Keith

Now my friends, this is the way to pack a palm.   I have a Jubutia going slow but doing well after 6 years, and now super jazzed to have BuJubaea to add to the garden.

IMG_6909.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

2 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

That from the same place I got mine?  The eBay vendor?

Yep.  I will order from them again, for sure.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

1 minute ago, _Keith said:

Congrats!  Your going straight in the ground?  Mine went into a 15g pot out front - I want to see how it develops a bit prior to planting out.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

It will ride out the winter in the greenhouse, then go into the ground in May when the soil is really warm.   Next, I have my eye on  Allagoptera caudescens .  I am seeing some Zone 9a reports on it.

Just now, _Keith said:

It will ride out the winter in the greenhouse, then go into the ground in May when the soil is really warm.   Next, I have my eye on  Allagoptera caudescens .  I am seeing some Zone 9a reports on it.

Where'd you see those reports?  I am trying one in the ground here, too (first winter) - but I thought it was really marginal in 9b.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

2 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Where'd you see those reports?  I am trying one in the ground here, too (first winter) - but I thought it was really marginal in 9b.

Mostly poking around on Google, but here is one I bookmarked to read further.  http://southeastgarden.com/matts-palms.html

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, _Keith said:

Mostly poking around on Google, but here is one I bookmarked to read further.  http://southeastgarden.com/matts-palms.html

Some very interesting data points there.  Different coast, so assuredly the experience would be different - but some lower (and a couple of higher) kill temps than I would have thought.

Ben Rogers

Just now, Ben in Norcal said:

Some very interesting data points there.  Different coast, so assuredly the experience would be different - but some lower (and a couple of higher) kill temps than I would have thought.

But right on the money for my climate.   We tend to think that things like this are on the palms boards, but nothing substitutes for hours of clinking links on Google searches to find the treasures out there.

• Upvote 1

I went ahead and bought the  Allagoptera caudescens.  I already have  Allagoptera arenarius  so why not.  My new greenhouse has instituted a new boldness in me.  Getting them past that young super tender age has always been my biggest issue. I am a bull in a palm seedling china closet.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

It's not a greenhouse until the panels are on, Keith. :lol:

This Saturday, brother.   And trust me, the whole thing may blow away, but the panels will be with it.    Wait till you see what I am going to do with that one.

3 minutes ago, _Keith said:

This Saturday, brother.   And trust me, the whole thing may blow away, but the panels will be with it.    Wait till you see what I am going to do with that one.

I am looking forward to learning.  I just caulked my panels in.  Surely ghetto compared to your plans.

Ben Rogers

29 minutes ago, _Keith said:

Vendors's name?

Rio_Grande.gif

Alright Keith gotta see pics of the greenhouse once complete or even in process of construction. FYI I now lash my greenhouse to my fence since one blew away 2 years ago.

5 minutes ago, Tropicdoc said:

Alright Keith gotta see pics of the greenhouse once complete or even in process of construction. FYI I now lash my greenhouse to my fence since one blew away 2 years ago.

Dude, where ya been?  http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47792-the-end-of-the-seedling-killing/#comment-734848

And we are doing mixed visits soon.  I need to see your place and you need to see mine post palm holocaust.

3 hours ago, _Keith said:

Now my friends, this is the way to pack a palm.   I have a Jubutia going slow but doing well after 6 years, and now super jazzed to have BuJubaea to add to the garden.

IMG_6909.JPG

Who is the vendor of choice?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Told you you'll fill the greenhouse fast. Your collecting new residents before its even finished. 

Keith how many total weeks of erection did it to finish ?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

15 hours ago, _Keith said:

IMG_6909.JPG

Hey Keith thanks for the compliment.  For those that asked you can buy these SILVER BUTIA JUBAEA HYBRID PALMS 3-4 FT at eBay using this link www.ebay.com/itm/252164552675?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 . There is also some seedlings from the same mother tree.  My ebay name is PalmsGalore777 and I have a nursery in north Florida called Backyard Paradise Nursery. There are more pics of these and the mother tree on ebay.  Regards, Debra.

• Upvote 1

Oh yes, should be a winner. Butes and Jubes will both take low temps, and with a little luck that mutt-baby will take after Jube in cold tolerance.

My KINGDOM for a greenhouse . ..

(Oh, wait! I have one.)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, Brad Mondel said:

What is the history behind the mother tree?

I was wondering that myself. If it is a hybrid, is it really possible that it is self-fertile?

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

1 hour ago, Brad Mondel said:

What is the history behind the mother tree?

Thanks for inquiring. Backyard Paradise Nursery seed parent is one of the rare silver-blue palms from the hybrid Butia Odorata x Jubaea chilensis and is a very large and most impressive palm.  It is believed that this parent is a descendant from palm tree experimentation with crossing Butia and Jubaea in the 1970's in north central Florida.  Our Butia x Jubaea is self-fertile and capable of producing its own hybrid seedlings. The offspring that are offered for sale are Butia x Jubaea x Butia and exhibit the silver-blue color as they mature and the color gets more silver dring hot and dry summers. Our parent Butia x Jubaea has the characteristics of this hybrid known for huge trunks and leaves that recurve strongly and hang down, massive trunks with much more fiber, burgundy-pink inflorescence, very large seeds, pink spath, very glaucous, absence of teeth yet heavy fiber and large delicious fruits. In fact our Parent hybrid produces seeds that are comparable to the Jubaea in size and with three distinctive eyes and I had never seen Butia seeds like these. Our parent palm has a feather-like appearance from very long leaves that are distinctive in number and somewhat twisted.  Our parent also has a striking silver-blue color and the form makes for an outstanding feature specimen that is mature to at least 30 feet tall with an unusual large diameter trunk.  Our parent’s offspring are hardier than a Butia and faster growing than a Butia or Jubaea.  The silver blue color is also very rare and adds to the elegance and beauty of a specimen palm.  i loaded some pics and if you would like additional information let me know and I will message you.  Thanks Debra

BUTIA_JUBAEA_IMG_0736.jpg

1000.jpg

BUTIA_JUBAEA_FRUIT_IMG_2775.jpg

BUTIA_JUBAEA_SEEDS_IMG_2770.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Wow, it looks great. I saw this listing the other day and wanted to pull the trigger, but decided against it due to my location and the fact that it's winter, although it is quite mild still. If only I lived somewhere warmer, I would've ordered one in a heartbeat.

3 hours ago, IdolLurker said:

Thanks for inquiring. Backyard Paradise Nursery seed parent is one of the rare silver-blue palms from the hybrid Butia Odorata x Jubaea chilensis and is a very large and most impressive palm.  It is believed that this parent is a descendant from palm tree experimentation with crossing Butia and Jubaea in the 1970's in north central Florida.  Our Butia x Jubaea is self-fertile and capable of producing its own hybrid seedlings. The offspring that are offered for sale are Butia x Jubaea x Butia and exhibit the silver-blue color as they mature and the color gets more silver dring hot and dry summers. Our parent Butia x Jubaea has the characteristics of this hybrid known for huge trunks and leaves that recurve strongly and hang down, massive trunks with much more fiber, burgundy-pink inflorescence, very large seeds, pink spath, very glaucous, absence of teeth yet heavy fiber and large delicious fruits. In fact our Parent hybrid produces seeds that are comparable to the Jubaea in size and with three distinctive eyes and I had never seen Butia seeds like these. Our parent palm has a feather-like appearance from very long leaves that are distinctive in number and somewhat twisted.  Our parent also has a striking silver-blue color and the form makes for an outstanding feature specimen that is mature to at least 30 feet tall with an unusual large diameter trunk.  Our parent’s offspring are hardier than a Butia and faster growing than a Butia or Jubaea.  The silver blue color is also very rare and adds to the elegance and beauty of a specimen palm.  i loaded some pics and if you would like additional information let me know and I will message you.  Thanks Debra

BUTIA_JUBAEA_IMG_0736.jpg

1000.jpg

BUTIA_JUBAEA_FRUIT_IMG_2775.jpg

BUTIA_JUBAEA_SEEDS_IMG_2770.jpg

Zone 9ners should be snapping these up. Absolutely a magnificent palm !!! :wub:

Is that another Butia right behind this tree? Possible back crossing? Which would make it a Butia Jubaea Butia. Only way to find out if this tree is really fertile is to cut down all the flowers from those neighboring trees.

If that is the case it is doubtful these will turn out to look like the parent tree shown above.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, IdolLurker said:

Hey Keith thanks for the compliment.  For those that asked you can buy these SILVER BUTIA JUBAEA HYBRID PALMS 3-4 FT at eBay using this link www.ebay.com/itm/252164552675?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 . There is also some seedlings from the same mother tree.  My ebay name is PalmsGalore777 and I have a nursery in north Florida called Backyard Paradise Nursery. There are more pics of these and the mother tree on ebay.  Regards, Debra.

Hey!!!! :greenthumb:

Rio_Grande.gif

47 minutes ago, ErikSJI said:

Is that another Butia right behind this tree? Possible back crossing? Which would make it a Butia Jubaea Butia. Only way to find out if this tree is really fertile is to cut down all the flowers from those neighboring trees.

If that is the case it is doubtful these will turn out to look like the parent tree shown above.

It really isn't a problem. The tree behind is a very large Sabal Palm and the one next to it on the right is the same as the parent. The older offspring looks exactly like the parent`and grows faster than any full Butias.  I am not going to sell all that I have because they are my precious next generation crossed with another unusual type of hybrid. Thanks.

Well it's an interesting story. Too bad the trail runs cold. Hopefully the offspring are self pollinated (which is sometimes possible). If not then they're [(BxJ)x B] from nearby Butias. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Keith or Ben,

Do your specimens have noticeably different characteristics?  I ordered the palm off a whim from this post and now a little concerned with the points Brad and Erik are bringing up...  

Edited by OverGrown

LA | NY | OC

What points?  If the plants in the immediate vicinity are BuJu, won't it be a BuJu F2 regardless?

Anyway, my plant is struggling - I suspect from root disturbance when I was re-potting (the mucky Florida dirt fell away and may have torn off some smaller roots.) Ugh.

Ben Rogers

Many people take great care on their hybrids, to keep a pedigree of sorts, and I admire that.  But I also believe the truth remains hidden until genetic testing becomes common.  Until then nobody knows for sure.  I have 11 Mules from reputable breeders and while all are similar, they also vary.   Personally for me, like horseshoes and hand grenades, close is good enough.

• Upvote 1

Yes if the close by plants are offspring and it back crossed then it would be BxJ F2 still. I can't wait to see how they look in a few years! 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

On 12/9/2015, 2:10:41, DoomsDave said:

Oh yes, should be a winner. Butes and Jubes will both take low temps, and with a little luck that mutt-baby will take after Jube in cold tolerance.

My KINGDOM for a greenhouse . ..

(Oh, wait! I have one.)

Mr. Dave of the Dead, do you call it the Room of Doom ?

Keith - is your Cajun Room of Doom completed yet ?

5 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

What points?  If the plants in the immediate vicinity are BuJu, won't it be a BuJu F2 regardless?

They mentioned that if it was crossed back with butia, that it would be unlikely that it would look like the parent plant.   Debra is stating that they are Butia X Jubaea X Butia. Does that mean that they are crossed back to butia?   

LA | NY | OC