• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea falcifera

John Case

Does anyone know anything about this species? A local nursery has a large multistem in stock.

Is it a clustering palm? How much sun does it take? What are its low temp tolerances?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

2 minutes ago, John Case said:

Does anyone know anything about this species? A local nursery has a large multistem in stock.

Is it a clustering palm? How much sun does it take? What are its low temp tolerances?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

JC

Uh oh, I think I know where that is and have been eyeing it up myself!  :D

You have dibs...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

You will probably have better luck with it than me. I always worry about the lows with this genus.....

No entries about it in Palmpedia; nothing about it except it is from Guatemala.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

I have also been searching for info.  Every time I go there, it flutters its eyelashes at me, and I stand in front of it, fruitlessly trying to find out more on my iPhone...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

According to Hodel 1992, p. 66 "It is either very rare, extinct, or an atypical C. neurochlamys or C. pinnatifrons.“
http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Chamaedorea_neurochlamys
http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Chamaedorea_pinnatifrons

The only description (copied by Hodel) is published by Moore in Principes 2 (1958). It is described as "solitary, slender, 1-6 m tall."

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

It is extremely doubtful that Chamaedorea falcifera (currently viewed as a synonym of C. pinnatifrons) is in cultivation outside of a few plants in Guatemala. It is not a clustering palm. 

It is worth noting that Donald Hodel and Juan José Castillo were unable to find the palm at the type locality during their extensive work on Guatemalan chamaedoreas in the early 90s, in spite of the fact that they discovered two very distinctive new spp. (nationsiana and castillo-montii) nearby. Juan José has subsequently done dozens of botanical collection trips to the area and has told me that he has yet to come across a palm that he would ascribe definitively to falcifera

About 15 years ago I found some young plants of what I suspected was falcifera within two km of the type locality. They are extremely striking when young, dark green with very broad terminal pinnae with a very distinct iridescent sheen to them, rather reminiscent of metallica. I grew several seedlings out and some years later a pair produced fruits from an open pollination, confirming my tentative ID. Unfortunately, the palms are depressingly unremarkable as adults, with only the very broad terminal leaflets and reniform fruits distinguishing them from many local pinnatifrons populations. Perhaps due to the lack of a trace element in their growing medium the palms lost their metallic lustre fairly early on. 

In September of this year, a friend of mine who is photographing native palms in situ came across a couple of young plants in same forest complex (but higher up) where I found it. Like me, he was also struck by the metallic aspect of the leaves and wondered what it was. As soon as I saw his photos, it was obvious that he had also found falcifera.

Until molecular work has been done on the many local pinnatifrons variants, I'm reluctant to opine as to the validity of these palms at specific level. Based on my very limited experience with them, but having spent many hundreds of field hours in the area where they occur, I would say that this particular form, whose description is based entirely on its fruit shape, is very rare and restricted to primary lowland rainforest relics in eastern Guatemala

John, plants labeled as such were sold by San Francisco Foliage, a wholesale broker of plant material grown for the indoor foliage trade.  I examined these plants with my Hodel Chamaedorea book in hand, but I could not make any decisive conclusion about pinnatifrons/falcifera.

Since falcifera is so rare, it is probable that this is just an atypical form of C. pinnatifrons.  I think this plant would burn up anywhere east of the Caldecott tunnel as an outdoor plant.  :(

San Francisco, California

3 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

John, plants labeled as such were sold by San Francisco Foliage, a wholesale broker of plant material grown for the indoor foliage trade.  I examined these plants with my Hodel Chamaedorea book in hand, but I could not make any decisive conclusion about pinnatifrons/falcifera.

Since falcifera is so rare, it is probable that this is just an atypical form of C. pinnatifrons.  I think this plant would burn up anywhere east of the Caldecott tunnel as an outdoor plant.  :(

Even in deep shade, Darold?

Ben Rogers

Ben, if you have deep shade prove me wrong !  I would like that !

Remember, no one will learn anything new if we just conform to the current assumptions.

(I am so old I can remember a time when no one recognized that Dypsis decipiens had any frost hardiness. )  :mrlooney:   

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

I do have deep shade - east facing, protected even from morning sun by high pine canopy, and under a 10 ft+ shade net structure.  Maybe worth a try if it's likely to have a cold hardiness of high 20s or better.

Ben Rogers

Thanks to all on the responses and based upon them, I am going to take a pass on these trees. Ben, if you are successful in bringing them into seed, I'll gladly relieve you of some of them!

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

• 1 month later...

I just saw this palm locally and the price was outrageous….$132.00 for a 5 gallon. Interesting leaves and looks like other chamaedorea I’ve seen for much less. But still isuppose to be a good one for indoors cause it only grow to 6’ tall and loves shade.  I’m sure the one up here will be around for a while, enough time for me to think about it anyways. The one I’ve seen came from Sunborne nursery in the bay area.

Edited by Palm crazy

I got a Chamaedorea falcifera from a San Jose Nursery.  It looks like a multi-trunked Ch. Oblongata with darker leaves.

Ch Falcifera.JPG

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Bumping this along does anyone know the colour of the fruit or a picture of the infructense. I have 2 maybe even 3 specimens I bought from Rosebud Farm as this species back mid 2000s and I’m trying to find out a bit more about them. One has set infertile seed and they are black and tightly packed on the fruit spike.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Just went out and took some pics. It appears I have two females and one male. I may have to help them along and see if I can get some fertile seeds. But I’m not really sure of the species even though I bought them as falcifera. They appear identical to a picture listed on the Pacsoa website as falcifera.

7561B26E-9F27-4A93-8EBC-5AB2298B099D.jpeg

9F515449-9482-46C9-9AD2-E220FC8F865C.jpeg

4054DE29-8793-48B6-9D1D-9AE477E4A9A6.jpeg

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/wiki/Chamaedorea_falcifera

Here is the link to the PACSOA site for C falcifera. My plant looks identical but it looks unlike any of the pics from the US for C falcifera in this thread.