IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Browser icon for Palmtalk.org

Logolight

Any chance of us getting a browser icon for the website?  Many other established websites have their own icons but Palmtalk still has the generic page icon next to the "http".

Thanks.

Dave

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

• 1 month later...

At this very moment, I am checking into that for another personal palm website I am developing. If I succeed in figuring it out, and everything is cool with the ISP, etc, I'll give it a try.

William, you are the guy of a thousand gifs. How about sending me a couple of small ones that may work, if you have any.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I found these...

palm-tree.gif  ( http://kerala-hub.com/images/palm-tree.gif )

palm_icon.jpg  ( http://ausetkmt.com/g/palm_icon.jpg )  I like this one the best...  It is simple and when small still discernable.

Do they have to be the right size?

palm.png  ( http://www.jpkabala.com/paranormal/resources/palm.png )

hawaiin-palm-tree.jpg  ( http://www.partypants.co.uk/hawaii/hawaiin-palm-tree.jpg )

William,

What part of "secret" don't you understand?

If I told you, I would have to kill you. Just kidding  :) , it's just not far enough along yet to put it out there. Soon though.

Thanks for the gifs. I found out they have to be 16 x 16 and there's a few tricks to getting them to look sharp. There are some free favicon (as they are called) editors, but the hardest part is finding out which part of the root directory they belong in, and if I have access to it via FTP or SSH. I will give it a try soon.

I also found out that even though I may get it working, if your bookmarks, etc. are cached you may not see that it has been added. Your browser will still display the old address with the old generic symbol (favicon).

Ok ,16x16 is really difficult to work with...  It can look like one thing when your zoomed in on it, and a complete mess in a regular view...  Nonetheless here's what I came up with...

Maybe a poll would be in order...

palmtalkicon.jpg

palmtalkicon4.jpg

palmtalkicon2.jpg

I like the last one the best....   :cool:

palmtalkicon3.jpg

I would certainly not be offended if ya'll can find something better looking...   :laugh:

Ok, I need to put down the paint brush....  my eyes are beginning to cross...  

How about this one...

palmtalkicon5.jpg

Too cluttered lookin??

William,

I like that last one the best as well. However, it needs to be in an .ico format. I think I can do that, but it may degrade the quality a bit. If you want, you can find a free favicon editor online that will convert that for you. Then you can check the quality and email it to me if it's OK. d.ouer@mac.com

I tried posting some that I came up with, but couldn't get the .ico to attach, or to get it into Photo Bucket.

Anyway, I'll check out some more things when I get a chance this evening. It is not that easy (for me anyway) to get this in the address bar. Changing html on the main page, putting the .ico in the right directory via FTP, etc. I could really mess up. But I am not afraid.  You can live without the Forum for a week or two, can't you. :)

Besides, I will need to know how to get my Top Secret favicon into my Top Secret Site anyway.  :;):

NO PALM TALK FOR A COUPLE WEEKS!??!!?

omg.gif

Check your email box sir...  Youv'e got mail!

And for the record, .ico, html, ftg and all that other techno garb means absolutely nothing to me!!  Once again, I solute you our fearless leader!  salute.gif

And there is proof of my technical blundering...  try the second one I sent you, the first one has a big "X" through the bottom left corner and I didn't notice it till I sent it to you!doh.gif