IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Darian Garden Image Gallery - July 18, 2015 (Vista, CA)

Pando

great picture Ando!! :greenthumb:

the rain was defiantly a magic touch and really gave it that rain forest feel

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Well, I would say Ando captured Docs garden quite well :)

It really shows how lucky we were to have rain because it really brought out the colors and depth in the garden. For those that don't know SoCal just broke a record held from 1922. The 1 inch of rain we had received that day was the most ever for the month of July. Hard to believe.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Freaking awesome shots Pando! It seems to me that you really took the time to try and capture "wows". And you succeed! I got there kinda late and walked the whole property once then had to leave early. So I'm really enjoying looking at these pictures. I see alot of things that I missed while walking around.

Such an outstanding garden! The rain made it all seem more like Costa Rica than SoCal. Marty's a legacy. This is definitely one of the great palm collections. One question though. Was the one wooden bridge with the no trespassing sign compromised in some way and possibly dangerous or was it off limits for some other reason?

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Fantastic pics Pando! And as Len said, the rain lent itself to some spectacular views.

Jim, As there are no guard rails on the walkway, it is more or less always closed in perpetuity... Some of us have been on it in the past though. :) Its scary in some spots.. and no one has posted pics of the beehive hanging on the bottom of the Gazebo/view area. That hive has been there for a good 5 years.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Great shots. What an amazing place.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

The word "epic" comes to mind.

Thanks for the great pictures.

PANDO!

So nice to meet you!

And, great pictures!

The rain brought out the colors and made it easier to take really nice detailed shots, in full color, as Len noted.

This is the first time I can remember a rain of this magnitude in 30 years of living out here.

A red letter day, all things considered.

Thanks to all who came and made it a success.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks everyone, yeah this was an epic day. The pictures turned out better than I realized at the time, as it was pouring rain at times, and I was fighting the umbrella with water splashing everywhere on my camera and on the lens. There's a reason you don't see many pictures pointing up.

As with framing the shots, I really didn't try that hard, since it didn't matter much where I pointed the camera, there were insane views everywhere. However, I did balance every image afterwards by bringing out more shadow detail and reducing blooming highlights through the canopy. This took about 2 hrs for 200+ images, and it made a noticeable difference. The images are in the order I took them, and you can probably see that the colors get even better later on when it was really raining hard (post 19 and after) and when it got brighter in the end after the rain had stopped.

I also took a walkthrough video of the whole thing in the rain, but the video didn't turn out as good as I had hoped due to a setting in my camera.

Dave, Len, Matty, Bill, others - it was great to meet you!

Edited by Pando

Someone who was close to me at the time pointed out some seedlings growing inside the staghorn about 15 feet off the ground...

post-9935-0-68852900-1437449838_thumb.jp

iUjKkMP.jpg

Ando, Mardy has that happen a lot. Eventually they get too big and die of course. Another thing you will seldom see in SoCal gardens is volunteer Platycerium's growing in his yard. Some times spores germinate in his yard when they land in just the right spot to grow.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Great shots of a very special garden!

It was a perfect day and way to visit The Darian.

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

Aloha Pando,

Thank you immensely for posting these photos. It has been many years since I visited the Darian garden even tough dear Cherie has invited me numerous

times. It is truly a treasure!

Garrin

garrin in hawaii

These pictures are magnificent. I'm afraid I'm not in the know with regard to this garden. Could someone educate an ignoramus like me and let me know who designed this masterpiece, who's still maintaining it, how long it took to get to its current state, its location, etc.?

• 1 year later...

Fantastic pictorial tour of The Darian!

Some of the best shots I have ever seen of the Darian garden  in Vista, California.

Mardi would be very proud to see these fantastic images memorializing the garden he spent thirty plus years creating.

Well done Ando!

• Upvote 2

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California