IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

show me you coconut queen baby!!

Josh-O

I've noticed a bunch of syagrus schizophylla x romanzoffiana (AKA coconut Queen) growing around north county San Diego, California this past weeks. How many of you are growing this cold hardy beast in your garden?? I would love to see you post a few pictures and tell us your climate you have them growing in.

here a few pics of mine growing in zone 10a Enjoy :greenthumb:

post-7434-0-82033300-1416779182_thumb.jp

post-7434-0-47976600-1416779203_thumb.jp

post-7434-0-95461900-1416779222_thumb.jp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Wow, that thing is awesome Josh! Can't wait for mine to look like that one day!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks Ben, can you post a pic of yours?? Also, The only reason I leave the super messy inflorescence on is they smell so darn good.

Sunset zone 24

Mine are only a couple of weeks in ground from two 15gs. My smallest one went in ground in spring, but as just a 5g. So mine are nothing like your beast!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Ben, give them just 4-5 yrs and they will be wild palm behemoths.

Sunset zone 24

Holy crap josh! That thing has gotten huge since I saw it last. I really need one of those

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Josh,

Your monster obviously has some flower stalks. Ever got any viable seeds?

Ben

Ben Rogers

Ben, I was told that the seed when sprouted and grown up looks like a queen. I'm going to try to sprout some and see what happens.

Steve, your right. this palm has grown at an experiential rate and now gives me really good canopy for some of my under-story dypsis.

Sunset zone 24

Ben, I was told that the seed when sprouted and grown up looks like a queen. I'm going to try to sprout some and see what happens.

Steve, your right. this palm has grown at an experiential rate and now gives me really good canopy for some of my under-story dypsis.

Keep us informed! It will be really interesting to track with this.

Ben Rogers

absolutely Ben. It looks like there will be some seed this time. The bees are still doing their job. I have had over 10 flowers and I only get about 10-20 seed per flower stalk. Most of the seed does not mature and falls to the ground making a big mess. So I decoded to let this one roll and see what happens. usually I just cut the flower pod before it opens and makes a big mess.

Stay tuned!!

Sunset zone 24

The coco-queen is awesome. But, unfortunately, I wouldn't call it cold-hardy.

Depends on your definition. In general, I think "cold hardy" refers to anything that cuts it in 9b. I'll be finding out if the coco queen does.

It better given what I paid for my 3 plants. :hmm:

I'm also experimenting with some other Syagrus here. Specifically, x mataforme and picrophylla, in addition to the queens - which are pretty bulletproof assuming we don't see an event which hasn't yet transpired in the course of recorded history.

Ben Rogers

I fantasize about 9b we had frost this am at 37 degrees!

71 here today, 71 here tomorrow. :mrlooney:

Lows starting to come down...mid to high 40s. That said, we got our only freeze last year the first week of December...so the bad stuff is coming...

Ben Rogers

it was 77 at the beach today and I got sun burnt. Ben, our lows are now down in the mid 50's :mrlooney:

Sunset zone 24

it was 77 at the beach today and I got sun burnt. Ben, our lows are now down in the mid 50's :mrlooney:

You San Diego people are so smug. :mrlooney:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Ben Rogers

Ben, hahahahaha I'll take 80F fall days and be smug all day long..lol.. :yay:

Sunset zone 24

You San Diego people are so smug. :mrlooney:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Yeah, but you guys are getting actual [expletive] RAIN!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Not a drop here, Dave. OK maybe a little spittle, but nothing that is going to do the garden or anything else any good.

Ben Rogers

I head rain tomorrow in the forecast??

Sunset zone 24

I hope so. We were supposed to get a drenching last night and this morning, and got absolutely nothing. You can see my weather station is still sitting at 0.00. The decks weren't even damp this morning. Nada. It was also a full 10 degrees warmer than forecast...how can they be so wrong? Now they are downgrading tomorrow to just a chance of rain, .16". We'll see...certainly an underwhelming system.

There is another system behind this one, due mid week - hopefully that will produce something of note.

Ben Rogers

My wife just informed me of the second system. I'm hoping its a duzy!! we all need some falling agua to hit our palms eh?? :badday:

Did you get my PM Ben?

Sunset zone 24

• 4 months later...

Bump - Josh, what's the status of the fruit from your Coco Queen? Did they mature?

Ben Rogers

• 1 year later...

BUMP! 

Josh, let's see your coco queen now! PRETTY PLEASE! I just planted a 15 gallon from jungle music and I love it already. 

Ben, how has mataforme done for you? Got any pictures?

On 11/26/2014, 5:01:17, Ben in Norcal said:

I'm also experimenting with some other Syagrus here. Specifically, x mataforme and picrophylla, in addition to the queens - which are pretty bulletproof assuming we don't see an event which hasn't yet transpired in the course of recorded history.

On 11/23/2014, 1:49:33, Josh-O said:

I've noticed a bunch of syagrus schizophylla x romanzoffiana (AKA coconut Queen) growing around north county San Diego, California this past weeks. How many of you are growing this cold hardy beast in your garden?? I would love to see you post a few pictures and tell us your climate you have them growing in.

here a few pics of mine growing in zone 10a Enjoy :greenthumb:

post-7434-0-82033300-1416779182_thumb.jp

post-7434-0-47976600-1416779203_thumb.jp

post-7434-0-95461900-1416779222_thumb.jp

1 hour ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

BUMP! 

Josh, let's see your coco queen now! PRETTY PLEASE! I just planted a 15 gallon from jungle music and I love it already. 

The X mataforme has done great - it's dark now and it's down at the bottom of my yard, but seems to cope with my heat + cold snaps just fine.  I also now have a dozen or more coco queens - counting on them as a foundation of the yard for the future, given their hardiness.  All 15g size or bigger.  Also picked up some interesting Syagrus crosses from Phil recently; all 15g size.  There's a thread on that somewhere around here...

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

23 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

The X mataforme has done great - it's dark now and it's down at the bottom of my yard, but seems to cope with my heat + cold snaps just fine.  I also now have a dozen or more coco queens - counting on them as a foundation of the yard for the future, given their hardiness.  All 15g size or bigger.  Also picked up some interesting Syagrus crosses from Phil recently; all 15g size.  There's a thread on that somewhere around here...

you should take a picture of the mataforme. I'm tempted to grab some of the ones offered at rps at the moment! 

You have quite a number of really cool hybrids. You just can't go wrong with the cocoid hybrids

• Upvote 1

On 12/21/2016, 4:23:07, Jdiaz31089 said:

BUMP! 

I just gave it a BIG hair cut the other day. I needed to get more light in the garden.

IMG_8078.JPG.28669e9f99a41220aca56e57396IMG_8079.JPG.a78d13f70b11cbd49fe0a10b3b4IMG_8081.JPG.9c1431e46d33464b519612d219fIMG_8080.JPG.11be765a0562990e1df528270ef

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Sunset zone 24

• 1 year later...