• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone growing Burretiokentia hapala in full FL sun?

Cocoa Beach Jason

I recently received a Burretiokentia hapala 7 gallon. My house lacks a suitable shady spot and it must be planted in an area that gets full sun for a many hours a day. It gets seriously hot everywhere in my yard during summer but it stays real humid and wet. Anyone else in FL having success in similar conditions?

Nobody? I guess I will be the only one trying this. I will report back in a year or so to let everyone know how it is going.

Ive got one under canopy aswell.

Not full sun tho...

Its happy. Deep green foliage.

These ARE emergent palms BTW.

-Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

It'll burn, especially if it is shade grown. I would make a tent out of shade cloth & a few bamboo poles for at least for a few months to at least give it a chance.

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Mine are in full CA shade.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Yeah I understand that they are recommended for shade. Unfortunately at this point I don't have any available shady spots. So against advice I must plant it in a spot that gets some full sun for a few hours at least. I will report back after some time to let you guys know how it handled it.

Mine planted in the back yard in March was subjected to summer FL sun and burned badly. For the next 2 years I tented it with shade cloth during the summer. Finally I planted several piccabeen juveniles close by knowing they were much faster growing and would soon shade my B.h. Worked like a charm. This species can't hack summer sun when young.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I have a 15 gal that gets filtered afternoon sun and look great. It was in full sun last year for 1 week and got pretty burnt. that's why I put it back in filtered sun.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Below is my largest B. hapala - slow growing. Last photo is of the two piccabeens I planted to shield it from FL summer sun. They are 4x as tall and doing their job well

post-1349-0-32886600-1416876560_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-35890500-1416876684_thumb.jp

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Mine are almost in full sun as they start to bloom at 6 feet tall! All seem to love full overhead sun put protection from sides when young. I have dozens in all kinds of conditions trying them out. Too much shade when young seems to bring on funk...

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

• 1 year later...
On 11/18/2014, 8:18:14, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

Nobody? I guess I will be the only one trying this. I will report back in a year or so to let everyone know how it is going.

Jason, how are doing your hapala?

I'm in the same boat.

Edited by foxtail

Rio_Grande.gif

18 minutes ago, foxtail said:

I'm in the same boat.

My hapala is growing well. Burned at first which was expected. It grew out of that slowly and is now doing fine. Not yet trunking but starting to pick up speed. I'm on an airplane right now but will try to remember to post a photo.  I have since picked up a a vieillardii and also a koghiensis. Those two are in a shady spot but will keep you in the loop on those as well. 

Edited by Cocoa Beach Jason
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

My hapala is growing well. Burned at first which was expected. It grew out of that slowly and is now doing fine. Not yet trunking but starting to pick up speed. I'm on an airplane right now but will try to remember to post a photo.  I have since picked up a a vieillardii and also a koghiensis. Those two are in a shady spot but will keep you in the loop on those as well. 

Excellent, good to know. 

Rio_Grande.gif

These can take fill sun....with adequate water.  I did here in Cape Coral at my pre vious  home.  Just a bit of shade but closer to full sun.  Just need to slowly acclimate it or grow it on to a larger size in pots before doing so...  Mine now is only 3 gallon and gets 3 hours full morning sun...getting it prepared for next year when I plant it out in full sun.

Garrett

I should add that I put it in ground during winter to help it acclimate before the heat came on.

Couple inches of wood on mine...  Shade grown:

I like em, I just scooped up another one a couple weeks back.

IMAG0793.jpg

IMAG0790.jpg

IMAG0785.jpg

• Upvote 6

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

• 1 month later...
On May 27, 2016 at 12:41:22 PM, foxtail said:

I'm in the same boat.

On May 27, 2016 at 12:58:05 PM, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

I spoke too soon guys. This summer has been brutally hot and my hapala is starting to suffer. It is in a stagnant while sunny location and it remains real hot there. Brown tips and some crispy spots. 

3 hours ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

I spoke too soon guys. This summer has been brutally hot and my hapala is starting to suffer. It is in a stagnant while sunny location and it remains real hot there. Brown tips and some crispy spots. 

Sadly to read this.

Rio_Grande.gif

5 hours ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

This summer has been brutally hot and my hapala is starting to suffer. It is in a stagnant while sunny location and it remains real hot there. Brown tips and some crispy spots.

I had to transplant the pictured one below back in 2013.  It moved from the north side of the house, where it received some shade from other plants as well as the house, to the south side, where it only got shade from the adjacent wall during the dead of winter.  I had pretty bad leaf burn, so planted a banana immediately west of it, which I knew would pop up fast and provide some shade for it.  Its remained a vigorous grower both before and after the banana was added, but now there is definitely less leaf tip burning.  This was originally planted from a 7 gallon pot in the spring of 2011 if I recall correctly.  Bottom line, if you can give it some late afternoon protection, you will likely see an improvement.  I hope to eventually remove the banana, as I have a small but fast growing D decaryi x D leptocheilos hybrid to the west of the banana which will eventually overtake the hapala and give it some shade.20160706-104A3901.thumb.jpg.99203a73f36c

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

8 minutes ago, Tracy said:

I had to transplant the pictured one below back in 2013.  It moved from the north side of the house, where it received some shade from other plants as well as the house, to the south side, where it only got shade from the adjacent wall during the dead of winter.  I had pretty bad leaf burn, so planted a banana immediately west of it, which I knew would pop up fast and provide some shade for it.  Its remained a vigorous grower both before and after the banana was added, but now there is definitely less leaf tip burning.  This was originally planted from a 7 gallon pot in the spring of 2011 if I recall correctly.  Bottom line, if you can give it some late afternoon protection, you will likely see an improvement.  I hope to eventually remove the banana, as I have a small but fast growing D decaryi x D leptocheilos hybrid to the west of the banana which will eventually overtake the hapala and give it some shade.20160706-104A3901.thumb.jpg.99203a73f36c

Wow, I love it!!!

Mine is painfully slow.

Rio_Grande.gif

• 11 months later...

My little one died, too much sun.

Have a 3 gallons size now, let see.

Rio_Grande.gif

I have a Burretiokentia hapala that I planted in the full sun around 3 to 4 years ago. It suffered with sun burning, but it is doing great and there is little or no issues with the new fronds. I’ll take pictures of it today and post pictures of it.    

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

I was finally able to take some pictures

Burretiokentia hapala 3.JPG

Burretiokentia hapala 4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

North Palm Beach

Tom, that does look outstanding! Nice fat crownshaft with the white tomentum. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I planted it between 4 – 5 years ago (+ / -) and it was in a 1  to 3 gal pot. I’m a fan of planting the somewhat small and enjoying them in the adolescent and teenage years, except when I mow the lawn.   

• Upvote 2

North Palm Beach

21 hours ago, Tomw said:

I planted it between 4 – 5 years ago (+ / -) and it was in a 1  to 3 gal pot. I’m a fan of planting the somewhat small and enjoying them in the adolescent and teenage years, except when I mow the lawn.   

Really fast growth.  Should be used more often.

3 minutes ago, Cape Garrett said:

Really fast growth.  Should be used more often.

That growth rate may not be typical, I give my trees as much water and fertilizer as they can take.

• Upvote 2

North Palm Beach

On 6/29/2017, 1:39:03, Tomw said:

Burretiokentia hapala 5.JPG

What a beauty!!!? Love the D. Album too, anyway all the garden!!!!

Rio_Grande.gif

4 hours ago, Tomw said:

That growth rate may not be typical, I give my trees as much water and fertilizer as they can take.

Is it water lover?

Rio_Grande.gif

On Sat May 28 2016 21:41:21 GMT+0100, Palmə häl′ik said:

Couple inches of wood on mine...  Shade grown:

I like em, I just scooped up another one a couple weeks back.

IMAG0793.jpg

IMAG0790.jpg

IMAG0785.jpg

Very nice green!

On 6/29/2017, 2:08:33, Tomw said:

That's kind of amazing. From what I've seen most palms don't do well that size in full sun, let alone a Burretiokentia hapla.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017‎ ‎3‎:‎10‎:‎39‎, RedRabbit said:

That's kind of amazing. From what I've seen most palms don't do well that size in full sun, let alone a Burretiokentia hapla.

The palm was sunburnt for several years (like half of the leave was brown and crispy), I even tried to acclimate it to the sun prior to planting it there. My friends in the palm society said give some time it should acclimate. I have another that is in much more shade (no burning), but it doesn’t get as much water and is much smaller. This one gets plenty of water.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

North Palm Beach