IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

March Thread

Trópico

It is an honour to start this thread and I would like to say it's so beautiful outside that is health threatening to be at work today. Low 80s today and tomorrow with a twist: Sat and Sun highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s, bottoming out possibly at 43ºF. Not too bad enough to start a "Florida Scare #4" but I have to hold on to my rendas one more week.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

We are almost there Frank.  I will however, have to fit a few things into the greenhouse for this brief coming cool snap.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

February ended with a high of 89F and March began with a high of 86F. We have been in the 80's for a good stretch now which has really helped to revive a lot of my palms after that period of cold at the end of January through most of February. As mentioned, we are due for a cool spell with lows in the mid 40's and highs in the mid 60's over the weekend. After, mid to upper 70's. This next little cool spell should not be too damagin however. These cool spells will be getting less frequent and severe from here on out and this may very well be our last shot of the 40's for the year. I have seen it jump from winter to summer (consistent highs in 60's to consistent highs in the 80's) many times in the last 10 years I have lived here.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Hi,

Today was soooo nice, blue sky's a lot of sun and 12C/53.6F and you can feel the sun have more strength already ... i want more of this day's :D

But tomorrow gonna be a nasty day, for the south of the country, only for the south there is a chance to get a southwesternstorm with a lot of rain an maybe wind speeds to 110 km per hour/70 Mph.

So we will see ... but they say also for sunday it will be a SUNday :)

Robbin

Southwest

Summer day today, with 89F for the high. Strong breeze from the south and humid air. Absolutely great! :)

Only thing we really need now is RAIN!!!! Dusty dry everywhere around town.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Our first day of March had a cold night 2°C/34°F, the coldest since early February, although that is actually the average for this time of year we have be running at 6-8°C/43-46°F prior to that.  Fortunately it was just the one night and forecast temperatures are back to 5-6°C/41-43°F at night from now on, although up to now, we have generally been a 2°C/3.6°F above forecast temperatures.  We are also expecting a lot of wind for the early half of next week and ongoing showers.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Starting off March with temps mid 70s today and windy. Upper 70s tomorrow. No rain in sight for the next 2 weeks with normal to above normal temps forecasted. Rainy season is turning out to be a real bust. Things are starting to pick up speed again. New spear opening on Cuban royal and dypsis lutescens. Mangos are blooming, Barbados Cherry, Key Lime and other citrus is flushing new growth. Spears on other palms are getting larger. Looking good....for now.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Hi,

Still above average, but not so much ... daytempeture for the rest of the week between the 50 and 60F and the nights are between the 40 to 45 F :)

Every day a change for rain but also sunshine :)

Robbin

Southwest

It looks like the next few nights over here will be well below avaregae, but not damaging.  After this, we will hopefully be in the clear.  I do recall saying this a few times this winter though :D  But, at this point any cold weather is merely annoying as there have never been any devastating freezes logged in historical data at this time of year for this area.

February 2007 ended below average overall.  The average high at my place was 70.4F and the average low was 50.8F.  The extreme high was 85.1F on 2/28 and the extreme low was 34.3F on 2/17.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Another freeze tonight.  Supposed to get down to 30F.  The second legitimate one for me this year (apart from a three-day stretch of 33's).  18F below average.  Worst winter for me relative to freezes in the last four.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

The next few days are REALLY gonna suck for me....  Late winter clipper coming down on Tuesday plunging lows 20-30f below average.. We're supposed to get down to 12f on Tuesday night... This is just ridiculous - all after the last week has been about normal.. low 50s'/day, around 38-40f/night

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Yeah Bobby, I noticed cold pushing down the East side of the US tomorrrow as well.  Even Orlando is forecast to go down to 6°C/43°F, but -8°C/18°F for New York is what I've seen forecast, that's so crap for early March.  I hope everything picks up for you soon.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

I know it is not anything like the cold others are seeing, but that same front brought us a low of 52F this morning. The avg. for this time of the year is 60F. Todays highs are only forecast to be low 70's. Beautiful out, but chilly for SoFlo.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

(ZoneTenNut @ Mar. 05 2007,07:34)

I know it is not anything like the cold others are seeing, but that same front brought us a low of 52F this morning.

A little colder up here at 46.6F in my yard.

Tonight is forecast to be a bit colder, then things should zoom back up.  I am ready for summer.

Larry 

A little colder up here at 46.6F in my yard.

Tonight is forecast to be a bit colder, then things should zoom back up.  I am ready for summer.

Yeah, me too... that's why I just bought tickets to Nassau, Bahamas for Thursday thru Sunday... I need 80f weather

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Doesn't March "come in like a lion" or something like that?

Doesn't March "come in like a lion" or something like that?

Yeah Ray, it's supposed to.. but this is looking like T-REX.. Actually it came in like a lamb.. It was 60f here on Saturday, and the night temps have only been dropping to around 38-40f... but this is going to be setting some serious records over the next couple days.. then it looks like it's leaving as quick as it came.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Quite warm & extremely dry  :(   Suggests the "rain season" is over.  Making this the driest winter EVER  :o  

Subtropical HI dominates. Lush garden conditions so long as irrigation is provided. Native walnuts leaf growth.

Enjoyed a week of warm/humid Miami  :D  90F/32c last Saturday.  :cool:

LA marathon took it's toll  82F/27c

Feb data

Max 71.1 Norm 71F/26c

Min 52.4  Norm 51F/10c

Highest Max 89F/31c

Lowest Min 46F/7c

Rain

2.86"/.07m

Rain Year [Jul/Jun]

4.36"/.11m Norm: 15"/.38m

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(BobbyinNY @ Mar. 04 2007,22:50)

The next few days are REALLY gonna suck for me....  Late winter clipper coming down on Tuesday plunging lows 20-30f below average.. We're supposed to get down to 12f on Tuesday night... This is just ridiculous - all after the last week has been about normal.. low 50s'/day, around 38-40f/night

Bobby,

Good luck again and is again time for the heaters ... i saw the tempeture for new york this week at a dutch wettersite ... hmz that weather is sooo cold!

Robbin

Southwest

(happ @ Mar. 05 2007,14:43)

Quite warm & extremely dry  :(   Suggests the "rain season" is over.  Making this the driest winter EVER  :o  

Subtropical HI dominates. Lush garden conditions so long as irrigation is provided. Native walnuts leaf growth.

Enjoyed a week of warm/humid Miami  :D  90F/32c last Saturday.  :cool:

LA marathon took it's toll  82F/27c

Feb data

Max 71.1 Norm 71F/26c

Min 52.4  Norm 51F/10c

Highest Max 89F/31c

Lowest Min 46F/7c

Rain

2.86"/.07m

Rain Year [Jul/Jun]

4.36"/.11m Norm: 15"/.38m

Happ,

Wow thats hot weather :) i want that also again :)

Still around the the 50-60F for the day's here ...

Robbin

Southwest

Bobby,

Good luck again and is again time for the heaters ... i saw the tempeture for new york this week at a dutch wettersite ... hmz that weather is sooo cold!

Robbin

Yeah, it's cold... but in another week it'll be 60 and then it's all uphill from there... In 2 months we'll be up to 80f and then it'll be hot until the end of september - can't wait

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Mar. 05 2007,15:25)

Bobby,

Robbin

Yeah, it's cold... but in another week it'll be 60 and then it's all uphill from there... In 2 months we'll be up to 80f and then it'll be hot until the end of september - can't wait

Bobby,

Do you think you will be living in a warmer climate by then?  Here on the Equator one day blends into another, but at least it started to rain again.  The end of February was a bit dry.  We should get around 300 mms in March if all is well.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

49.1F here this morning. Quite a bit warmer than NWS had predicted. Was supposed to be 43 here this morning. Last I saw yesterday, they were saying 40F here for me tonight. This missed by a bit yesterday morning. I bet they are a lot closer tomorrow morning. Should get pretty chilly here if the winds die down tonight. Dover and Balm FAWN stations saw close to 38F to 40F last night. It could easily get chilly enough to see some light root top frost in my area tomorrow morning if the wind dies, hopefully nothing more though!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bill-

I am hoping they are similarly off about tomorrow AM's forecast and we stay a few degrees higher than anticipated.

Much like you report at your location, in my yard if the winds die down I am dead meat!  In my particular spot on the map, a dead north wind actually warms me up.

Larry 

Cold night tonight (upper 30s), but overall not a bad looking 10 day forecast.  Average High is around 72-73F.  Could use some rain though.

Tue

Mar 06  Sunny 72°/46° 0 %

Wed

Mar 07  Partly Cloudy 74°/50° 0 %

Thu

Mar 08  Partly Cloudy 76°/52° 10 %

Fri

Mar 09  Partly Cloudy 80°/58° 10 %

Sat

Mar 10  Partly Cloudy 84°/61° 10 %

Sun

Mar 11  AM Clouds / PM Sun 80°/49° 10 %

Mon

Mar 12  Sunny 78°/50° 10 %

Tue

Mar 13  Sunny 77°/52° 10 %

Wed

Mar 14  Sunny 78°/51°

(spockvr6 @ Mar. 05 2007,20:58)

Bill-

I am hoping they are similarly off about tomorrow AM's forecast and we stay a few degrees higher than anticipated.

Much like you report at your location, in my yard if the winds die down I am dead meat!  In my particular spot on the map, a dead north wind actually warms me up.

Winds died down....dead meat!

41.0F at my house for the low this AM!  

The rooftops/grass/plants were frost free, but the roof of my wife's car was iced over.

Larry 

Frost in Pinellas???  Wow Larry, you really did "chill out" last night.  It was 46F here and milder than I expected.

(Ray, Tampa @ Mar. 06 2007,08:40)

Frost in Pinellas???  Wow Larry, you really did "chill out" last night.  It was 46F here and milder than I expected.

There was not frost per se until I got to NE Pinellas/NW Hillsborough on my drive to work.  Out there, many roofs were frosted (some what I would call heavily) as well as frost in large open grassy areas.  There is still some pasture land left out there!

Since car rooftops usually run 10-12F colder than the surrounding air on calm clear nights, and with dewpoints being in the 35F range, I was not surprised to see the roof of the car coated with ice.  It was not very thick. but it was solid (it was not a "fluffy" type of frost).

Thankfully the warmup has been fast this AM.

Larry 

Lows summary around Tampa Bay----

Larrys Jungle - Tarpon Springs - 41.0F

USF Comps - Tarpon Springs Sponge Docks - 45.86F

USF Comps - Tarpon Springs - Fred Howard Park - 47.66F

USF Comps - St. Petersburg - Campbell Park - 49.64F

Dover FAWN - 36.15F

Balm FAWN - 38.61F

Brooksville FAWN - 32.12F

St Petersburg - Albert Whitted AP - 52F

Tampa AP - 45F

Clearwater/St. Pete AP - 53F

Vandenberg AP - 37F

MacDill AFB - 41F

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Mar. 06 2007,08:59)

Thankfully the warmup has been fast this AM.

Nice fast warmup this AM----

wxStationGraphAll-2.gif

Larry 

The MacDill operatror is still in rehab. His replacement may be headed there as well.

(Ray, Tampa @ Mar. 06 2007,09:34)

The MacDill operatror is still in rehab. His replacement may be headed there as well.

From the looks of the readings this winter, those two guys rehab lasted about as long as Britney Spears'.

Larry 

Like MacDill, There are a few others stations on weatherunderground that have left me scratching my head.  A couple of them near the old Northeast in St. Pete consistently log 8-10F colder than the Albert Whitted reading.  Last night one of them read colder than my place!  There is something just not quite right about that.

Larry 

Larry we have an almost exact same weather. Whatever you report as your low and frost conditions is the same as what I experience here in Orlando.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

(Trópico @ Mar. 06 2007,14:13)

Larry we have an almost exact same weather. Whatever you report as your low and frost conditions is the same as what I experience here in Orlando.

Isnt it wonderful living in such a prime location?

LOL.

If I lived another 5 miles east.....Queen palm city.    

If I lived another mile west.....Coconut city.

The next nearest amateur station to me (which is less than a mile further west and maybe 2-3 miles south) was 6 degrees warmer than me this AM!

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Mar. 06 2007,14:24)

If I lived another 5 miles east.....Queen palm city.    

Out in "Queen Palm City" (about 5 miles east of US 19 in Tarpon Springs), some poor fellow planted a backyard full of large Coconuts last fall.

After late February's cold snap, the canopies are probably 50-75% fried.

But, the large Royal clump in front appears fine.

Larry 

(Trópico @ Mar. 06 2007,14:13)

Please dont tell me that the pine hinterlands of Orlando are warmer than my location further south and closer to the water!  

Help me out (so my continued illusions remain only partially shattered).......  :P  

What is the coldest temp youve logged over the past two winters?

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Mar. 04 2007,22:25)

It looks like the next few nights over here will be well below avaregae, but not damaging.  After this, we will hopefully be in the clear.  I do recall saying this a few times this winter though :D  But, at this point any cold weather is merely annoying as there have never been any devastating freezes logged in historical data at this time of year for this area.

I just wish you guys would quit eulogiziing WINTER!

I keep telling you, it's never going to end if you don't!

Not to bad over here on the coast Titusville 46.4 F Sunday night, 43.1 F Monday night,no frost. Pretty much as forecast!

However at my mom's in Poinciana, it was 43.6 F Sunday night, But 35.6 F Monday night. NWS point forecast for Poinciana Monday night was 42.0 F they only missed it by 7 degrees yet again,on the high side!  :(   I  knew it was probably going to get colder Monday night but 35.6 F? Frost everywhere,solid layer of ice on car,  roof completely covered, yard looked liked it  had snowed. Didn't seem to be any on the plants or palms off the ground, but I didn't get up until 7:30 and the sun had already hit the stuff against the house,so who knows,only time will tell,didn't see any damage?

All I can say is you know how I feel about WEATHERMEN! :angry:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Cold here as usual this morning. 39.0F for a low a little after sunrise. Yes, there was some very minimal rooftop frost on about 1 out of 5 houses in the neighborhood (not mine, yea!). Not sure about cartops, neither my wife's or my car tops were fozen. Zero frost on grass, ground or plants. But, like Larry reported, massive warmup today after the cold start. Looks like my station logged a high of 79.2F.  A 40 degree F turn around. It was 70F by 11:30 AM today. Ray, Tampa did well last night because I think there was a nice inversion layer (is that the right thing I am thinking of) that probably trapped a beneficial layer of pollution that insulated the more urban areas. I can tell when this happens because the pollution from the TECO plant in Apollo Beach spreads for several miles laterally instead of going up and dispersing that way. Somtimes this happens with very strong wind too, but winds were light to none by morning. There was a pollution streak from it in the sky that looked like it might have stretched to Palmetto this morning, very clearly defined how far up it could travel. Pollution is a big part of the urban heat island phenomenon in my opinion.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Just figured I'd chime in with my wonderful 11.6f right now.... I'm SOOOOO done with this S#$T...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS