IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Arenga ryukyunensis

louisrui

Probably so... Eric in Orlando is going to be sending me a small one in the spring I think. He commented that it is indeed more cold hardy. My engleri suffered no damage from the cold this winter....winner! Keiths, larger one did get damaged however. It was more exposed I think. no canopy.

I think A.r comes from a colder island in Japan as well.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Back in the Dec. 1989 freeze, it dropped to 19-20F for 2 nights in the Orlando area. At that time Arenga ryukyuensis wasn't recognized as a valid species, that A. engleri had 2 forms;

The bigger form was the palm native to Taiwan. It suffered severe foliage burn after this freeze and some stems were killed back.

The smaller form is the palm native to the Ryukyu Islands and is now known as Arenga ryukyuensis. It suffered no damage in this freeze.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I tried once, maybe it was not a pure Philodendrum selloum, but the leaves turned yellow then it died. I have no canopy at all. It dies at -3'C, doesn't it?

Philodendron selloum is a native plant here, and -3ºC is not an estremely cold winter night here.....

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 8 years later...

Bringing up an old thread. I’ve got several of these I’ve sprouted from seed. Is anyone successfully growing these in 8b or even a warm 8a? 

I've got 4 or 5 ryukyuensis seedlings, will probably wait a couple years to put them in the ground. Unless I'm feeling froggy this summer.... I'm zone pushing so many things,  these probably have a better chance than many of the things around my house at the moment.

I have 2 A engleri in-ground.  One had spear pull after a week subfreezing and low of 16f.  I think it would have been OK if the frost cloth hadn't come off.  The other is fine, but in a very sheltered area, enclosed and had a heat lamp in the box so that doesn't really count. 

Your seedlings seem like they're growing quite a bit quicker than mine.

• Like 1

I commented wront post, sorry.

Edited by jwitt
Wrong post

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

I've got 4 or 5 ryukyuensis seedlings, will probably wait a couple years to put them in the ground. Unless I'm feeling froggy this summer.... I'm zone pushing so many things,  these probably have a better chance than many of the things around my house at the moment.

I have 2 A engleri in-ground.  One had spear pull after a week subfreezing and low of 16f.  I think it would have been OK if the frost cloth hadn't come off.  The other is fine, but in a very sheltered area, enclosed and had a heat lamp in the box so that doesn't really count. 

Your seedlings seem like they're growing quite a bit quicker than mine.

Can you tell the difference between a.r and a.e when young? 

Unfortunately none of my engleri seeds have germinated yet. The engleri in ground were purchased from jungle music. 

• Like 1