IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some cold hardy palms

Jimhardy

Starting out-

CactusandSucculents064.jpg

some cactus too-

finalespringroundup007.jpg

Later the same year-

9-6-08005.jpg

That winter

Greenhouse11-13-08002.jpg

Greenhouse11-13-08003.jpg

G-house11-19-08016.jpg

12-21-08009.jpg

12-21-08004.jpg

At night-Ice station zebra-what \ever that means-never saw the movie

Winterprotection010.jpg

I am not as wasteful these days with electricity but it did look cool back than....I thought..

• Upvote 1

What it looked like this past summer and in winter this year....

100_6039.jpg

100_5998.jpg

100_5960.jpg

100_5916.jpg

100_5915.jpg

100_5889.jpg

9-4-12005.jpg

9-3-12127.jpg

Some of the plants(bananas,etc) were burned up by heat and drought the last 2 years here in southeast Iowa

Winter pics from this year-

100_6272.jpg

100_6275.jpg

100_6263.jpg

This Sequoia is one of my favorites!

100_6264.jpg

After

100_6303_zps8b51292d.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Upvote 1

Wow Jim, you are a real palmnut! Your neighbors must be stunned when they see your yard up there in Iowa...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Whats all that white stuff on the ground in your photos? Ive never seen such a thing down here!

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Well - if there is an award for dedication, I nominate Jim - any seconds?

BTW - I'm curious - do the locals comment or not even notice? Or are you finding flyers in the mailbox from psychiatrists?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

How much does it cost to keep all that warm in the winter?

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Well - if there is an award for dedication, I nominate Jim - any seconds?

BTW - I'm curious - do the locals comment or not even notice? Or are you finding flyers in the mailbox from psychiatrists?

I'll second that dedication nomination! What a great looking yard up in Iowa!

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Amazing Jim

Great choices !

Is that a Trachycarpus Princeps in the mix ?

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Glad to see you posting on here Jim. :rolleyes:

From the summer pictures i would swear you were in california. The succulent garden is my favorite. A spring update will be necessary soon.

great stuff :greenthumb:

- Eric Arneson

lan-backyard-design-copy1.jpg

Thanks you guys

Yes there are a couple little T.Princeps out there.... B)

Occasionally someone knocks on the door and wants to know what the hell is going on out there :hmm:

Yea....all that dang snow out there has to go!

I get a kick out of watching peoples reactions when they walk by.....some never even look over

and some people are really blown away by it.....it has not been to unreasonable heating the stuff

until this year-I put that darn Trichocereus Terscheckii that I got such a great deal on($42 shipping included)

but I paid for it this year keeping the cactus enclosure above 20F-I think it was an extra $50 for one month....

I probably didn't need to spoil it that much but I did...and paid for it....I don't really need to heat much anymore

this year,looking forward to maybe uncovering the Sabals.Needles and "bigger" Trachys next week-

I will post a pic if I can get away with uncovering them....they are supposed to be cold hardy after all!

Always impressed by your photos, that sequoia is really starting to take off!

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Thanks Krishna!

Yes,the Sequoia grew 2' at least last year even in the drought we were having...

Those photos and your garden are amazing. Laughed at the Ice Station Zebra movie reference (which I did see many years ago) and that's a good name for your yard in those photos. Curious what kind of light bulbs and wattage you used back then.

At first I was thinking the neighbors not being too welcoming to your strangely lit mutant xmas season blow molds or whatever they thought they were, but I sure bet any misgivings were melted away by what a beautiful garden they covered in spring/summer. Can't imagine anyone having a better looking yard.

You know these days they sell those heated floor systems (cutable rolls of mats more or less) for under tile and wood floors that aren't suppose to use much electricty. I wonder if those could be used on the ground under some mulch or something to protect roots?

Anyway your garden is fabulous and so glad you had pictures to share of it over the last few years.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Wow, now this is what I call dedication.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Once Trichocereus terscheckii gains some size, it can take much lower than 20F if kept dry. Although, your freezing temperatures might be too sustained for lower temperatures. Does the house rise above freezing during the day most of the time?

Thanks you guys

Yes there are a couple little T.Princeps out there.... B)

Occasionally someone knocks on the door and wants to know what the hell is going on out there :hmm:

Yea....all that dang snow out there has to go!

I get a kick out of watching peoples reactions when they walk by.....some never even look over

and some people are really blown away by it.....it has not been to unreasonable heating the stuff

until this year-I put that darn Trichocereus Terscheckii that I got such a great deal on($42 shipping included)

but I paid for it this year keeping the cactus enclosure above 20F-I think it was an extra $50 for one month....

I probably didn't need to spoil it that much but I did...and paid for it....I don't really need to heat much anymore

this year,looking forward to maybe uncovering the Sabals.Needles and "bigger" Trachys next week-

I will post a pic if I can get away with uncovering them....they are supposed to be cold hardy after all!

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants

I thoroughly enjoyed the pics! Some are funny!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I love these photos. Honestly, what do your neighbors say?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

That is serious dedication to your palms!

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Thanks WCG

I think the x-mas lights are the best option for now,they combine heat/low cost well and can be spread out to each palm....

A good layer of mulch takes care of the roots-the only one that is on the edge here is the Washy-thats why it has some serious mulch!

Thanks Keith!

Turtile

I kind of spoiled the Tricho...there is also a Princeps in there which was not part of the plan originally but it was just easier

to me to extend the cover back to it-usually when it is cold here(really cold)it is sunny,so the cactus enclosure is quite toasty during the day.

Thanks Alberto-good to see you here!

LJG

The neighbors that like it really like it,I don't really talk to the others-so I am not sure.......

It is funny (when the windows are open)to listen to(and watch)people....some walk right by and never even look

which actually cracks me up a little...I have heard everything from OMG to "this is the most beautiful garden in the world"

slight exaggeration there for sure but in contrast to some of what Iowa and other yards look like-maybe? :winkie:

I used to have dreams(I actually had one the other night....)of walking up to some garden in my area or an out of zone garden

and being amazed by some huge cactus or palm-in my dream the other night the guy gave me some clippings......they weren't there when I awoke.

My favorite comment(and I have heard this a surprising number of times)is simply "Thanks"....thats it,just "Thanks"

I like that.

Thanks Joe!

Edited by Jimhardy

Heres a few pics now that some palms are uncovered...

Sequoia

100_6313_zps948a1116.jpg

Princeps-will be babied for a while...

100_6317_zps27422baf.jpg

Some of the cactus

100_6320_zpsf6ab69c6.jpg

100_6321_zps63daeab6.jpg

100_6335_zps3470ff8b.jpg

100_6331_zps733ea21b.jpg

T.Martianus

100_6325_zps170885e2.jpg

I thought the T.ferns were dead after unexpected/not-forecasted! cold last fall but they have put out a leaf or 2 over winter(-:

100_6327_zpsa13360a4.jpg

100_6334_zps64b34f70.jpg

Thanks for looking-it is nice to have my little friends visible again!

Edited by Jimhardy
  • Upvote 2

I am truly amazed at what you have done-and now wonder why some of us palmnuts in more favorable climates (I live in zone 8b in northern Florida) haven't boldly added more tender materials and protected them as you have. You are inspirational!

Thanks Mac!

I think Florida is about relaxing :interesting:

Who wants to go through all the hassle???????

Me-gotta find something to keep you busy here in these long cold winters-

I used to dread them but the palms have given me a ray of hope :greenthumb:

this chilly weather is putting that to the test-we were hitting the 70s and 80s by this time last year! :violin:

Jim

We got nearly 8 inches on Sunday, did you have to recover your beauties this weekend?

I am very very jealous of your garden and I now have so many ideas for my own now that I know it's possible!

Hi-Ho Zone 5b!

-Erik

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

I left the Trachys,Needles and Sabals out-we had almost 3" of rain over the weekend and

all our snow is gone-looks looks a very slow climb out of the cold this year-

maybe your area forecast is looking a little better now..... B)

Dang - perhaps one of the most impressive and inspirational threads on Palm Talk :greenthumb:

Thank you Jim ! :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Man i thought it was tough here in North texas but once you get palm fever that is all she wrote, good job ! here i use a portable green house i got from wallmart King Canope mine is 12x12 and 8ft tall and run space heaters , on a sunny day if it say 30 deg outside it will be around 75 to 80 deg inside you could put one of those up around all the garden and run some space heaters and keep it quite warm. i even put a table and a chair in mine for potting and such.

Its a great idea,I have a picture of me chillaxing in the cactus cover on a lounge chair somewhere

in the old pictures I have...not to much room in there these days.....heating cost would be pretty

high here in winter for a larger structure and I have limited wattage from my upstairs apartment so...

the challenge is always how to cover increasingly bigger palms with less energy.

Found it

12-6-08005.jpg

Edited by Jimhardy

Awsome , are those bananas Musa basjoo , i bet they are to find up there. they are great for giving the tropical look, and one of the most cold hardy.

Have seen lots of pics at EPS, but can't remember seen a picture from the start. Some great growth progress for sure.

Southwest

Awsome , are those bananas Musa basjoo , i bet they are to find up there. they are great for giving the tropical look, and one of the most cold hardy.

The Bananas in the center(earliest pics) are Musa Basjoo,there is also a dwarf cav off to the right....

the one in front of the Castor beans in the next set is also a Basjoo the one right/center in the latter pics is a Saba.

I kind of quit growing the Basjoo in favor of some other ones after the first few years but they came back anyway....

they are pretty easy to find on e-bay here but I have not needed to get any since the first batch because they always come back...

Thanks Robbin!

• 3 weeks later...

Jim - my in-laws live in Keokuk, IA. Your in Jefferson, Co? I think one of my nieces lived in Jefferson County at one time. I'm familar with the great soil you have, its the winters that is your greatest restriction.

Best wishes in your gardening endeavors :greenthumb:

Ron

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Yes thats correct-Keokuk is about as far south in Iowa as you can get and we are just north/northwest of there by maybe 50 miles.

Great soil here- but as you mentioned, the winters cold "restriction"is the greatest obstacle...............

• 1 month later...

Hey, Jim, is that A.neomexicana in your pictures?

Have you had any luck with sturdier succulents without protection? (Yuca doesn't count)

Also, what's the jungle look like so far this year?

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

There is a very small A.neomexicana in the front-center of the cactus garden.

I have grown various stuff outside of the covers including Graptopetalum paraguayense

which survived outside without heat through last winter(-4F).

I have not messed with it to much as its not my house so,I guess I focus my interests...

heres a "few"pics from this month.

Sequoia

100_6457_zps78aa75c7.jpg

a bunch of cactus are flowering too.

100_6463_zps0411e88d.jpg

100_6465_zps4db9868c.jpg

100_6477_zps5c6e2180.jpg

Keep'n it on topic.........T.Princeps

100_6447_zps39b24c2a.jpg

Edited by Jimhardy
  • Upvote 1

Is the Graptopetalum under the eaves? I've read they don't like the moisture, and I am about to plant mine. Is it risky to plant it in the open in a zone 8a garden that sometimes has wet winters?

I forgot to mention I had a rain cover on it but no heat.

I think it might be ok in z8