• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Basselinia gracilis

realarch

I'm really starting to enjoy these little palms more and more as they get older. They were planted as 1 gal. plants a bit over 4 years ago and

for the last couple of years remained rather insignificant. Now they are starting to show a lot of color and gaining some height for being a

diminutive palm. Partial to mostly shade all day, lots of moisture and humidity, and good drainage. Here are a couple of photos.

post-1300-0-33449700-1356392456_thumb.jp

post-1300-0-10106300-1356392472_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Very nice, I wish we could grow them here.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Tim, I think these are great little palms, but they sure seem to like water...not a problem where you are, but they do struggle here in dry times. Here is a great looking one in Kieran's garden...I wish mine would get to this size and look so healthy!

post-42-0-42659200-1356407873_thumb.jpg

Datyl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Great plant. Wish mine would look like that.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I remember Carlo Morici telling me that Basselinia gracilis from peak of mount Panie (highest altitude form) are the most stunning little palms there are with red stripes along the petioles (?) .....

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Jeff, is it temperature or soil or both?

Daryl, those crown shafts are showing a heck of a lot more color than mine. Nice!

Len, I thought these made a go if it in SoCal. I remember seeing one of Bills awhile back that looked pretty good.

Alberto, no red stripe on the petiole. Could be another species.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim, there are many different forms of this plant, aside from the ones they split back into B.eriostachys. The colours do vary between them. My sole surviving plant at home has the same colouration as yours...an orange crownshaft with black speckles. I have another form that has a black crownshaft and more leathery leaves, but still only young. The photo above is different again.

Here is another one that was growing in Sydney botanical Gardens...this has the red crownshaft and black stem.

post-42-0-52870200-1356481713_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Tim, Basselinia colour certainly does var....from what I have and seen in Oz, the Darker the area of the gardens its growing, the better the colour, too much sun in Oz and they look a little bleached and lack good colour, your is less colour maybe because it grows much faster ? , they still look very choice Tim.. These 2 pics are taken in the rain which shows its real colour but they its growing in deep shade.

Your and mine are Both B Eriostachys..Pete :)

post-5709-0-85502300-1356506208_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-31832200-1356506349_thumb.jp

• 3 months later...

I have some questions

Who has germinated the high altitude form? Are they "true to form" ??? Are the different forms of B. gracilis related to the different growing conditions at different altitudes or are this differences genetic related?

Are there differences in cold hardiness of the different ecotypes?

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

This week I received my book The Palms of New Caledonia" .............and I´m nuts........I need a Basselinia gracilis high altitude form!!! :drool:

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/pix/BasGra.shtml

Alberto, I found gracilis a nightmare from seed, we tortured each other for several years. I have eriostachys doing quite well in the ground and they produce seed here.

According my new book,is B. eriostachys not one not accepted names of B. gracilis ?

I have seedlings of B. moorei and B. tomentosa. Where can I obtain seeds of B. eriostachys? Swap?

How cold hardy is B.eriostachys?

This what RPS says about B.eriostachys:

Basselinia eriostachys

A elegant, small, slender, clustering palm that is relatively common in New Caledonia and that has long been regarded as a form of B. gracilis. Recent DNA work has shown, however, that it would better be regarded as a species in its own right. In cultivation it is a rewarding and relatively easy to grow palm for the tropical and warm temperate garden.

According to my inventory, I still have one each of B. pancheri, B. gracilis and B. eriostachys (fine leaf). It will take awhile to sort my recent photos and transcribe from my "voice memos" to see if I have any new decent pictures. If I do I'll add them to this thread later.

I'm pretty sure these 3 all came from Jeff Marcus.

I've never tried these from seed so no help there.

Cindy Adair

Reading and learning...........

http://nzpalmandcycad.com/?pg=96