• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

first sub 40's of the year

Gonzer

my unheated greenhouse was at 38F at 7:10 am.

worse tonight.. and slight improvement the night after..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

31.9 frost was all over the grass and roof. Plants are wet so that might be good?

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

yeaahhh... well CRAP!

Just went upstairs about 8 am and the first time I have EVER seen frost on my deck! :rant:

I think its because we were more humid than normal for this event and the rain was mild, not a lot.. prime conditions for frost.. high humdity, cool air.

post-27-0-89516500-1355934477_thumb.jpg

Geez... it looks like a Searle Spring sale...... :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Good news my little seedling tray out front under canopy seemed fine.

Btw, we DID get this cold, or close for a night or two in Oct, but it was dry, so no frost...

If anyone makes any 'Frosty the Snowman' jokes I'll kill 'em!

At least the ground is soaked enough to preclude any serious damage tonight (hopefully).

Whoa! Frost on concrete!? Well that's a new to me!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

yeaahhh... well CRAP!

Just went upstairs about 8 am and the first time I have EVER seen frost on my deck! :rant:

I think its because we were more humid than normal for this event and the rain was mild, not a lot.. prime conditions for frost.. high humdity, cool air.

attachicon.gif001.JPG

Geez... it looks like a Searle Spring sale...... :P

What was in that 15g?

San Marcos CA

So far, only 39F, a week ago.

Right now, lots of rain and temps btw 50/60F.

No protection at all, so far. But all the stuff is ready :(

Frank, its the deck/roof to my garage addition, so not solid concrete.

Shon... I can't remember. Ask me again when its warm enough to go check. I think a big Cycad I weeded a long time ago and it didn't like it!

Good luck Rafael! We need it too!

Today's drop-off was not as severe as yesterday's.

2:00 am - 37.5 F

4:00 am - 36.7 F

Yesterday saw a 4 degree drop within 2 hours whilst today was a meager 8/10's of a degree.

30.5 at 5:48am. Haven't been outside to see the frost but I'm sure it's there.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

31.9 @ 5:59. Afraid of what it will look like at 7, where it is generally the coldest time of the day.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

O'side shows 32F, 1 degree colder at same time as yesterday. But less humidity, so less frost..

Tonight will only be a few degrees warmer.. :( but WARMER is good

Yesterday I didn't feel like going out to look as my recievers/transmitters need maintainence to read from inside, but my front yard mailbox (Which used to be exposed, but is almost canopy now) is reading 40F... while O'side airport is at 32F YAY!

As usual, how cold you get is a matter of wind and canopy. Our hillside keeps the cold air moving, flowing downslope, preventing frost. There was a slight steady breeze all last night, keeping the temps from dropping too low.

41F out in the open

44F under canopy

no dew due to very dry air

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

just to show the massive temp swings in so cal. this morning i had a meeting out in clairemont. i left my shop at 7:30am my car showed that it was 37f as i got over the hill and dropped into tiera santa (about 5 miles away) it was 52! 15 degrees warmer. crazy stuff...

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

52 on hwy 52.....coincidence? I think not!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

31.5 at 6am. That's now 2 nights in a row for me below freezing. Bananas are tan, plumerias lost the last of there leaves, becariophoenix windows got 25% burn. Everything else looks fine so far. One that surprised me was veitchia montgomeryana. It's under my jacaranda tree but shows zero damage. I thought it would spot up for sure.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Carlsbad 1 mile from the lagoon 3 miles from the beach 32' at 6:00am two days in a row.a couple of my smaller( 2 and 3 feet of wood trunk ) Foxy lady's showing some spotting .It always takes a few days or more for the real damage to show up.

I HATE Winter!

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

Gonna be 43F tonight and 41F tomorrow night. I sprayed my potted palms with mancozeb, brought in the lipstick, Arecas, Hydriasteles and Pinangas.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Winter suuuuhhhhhcks. Strange weather here. Overnight low was 39. But at 8:30am I noticed frost on the north facing part of my yard. The area is unprotected. I was NOT amused.