• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pinanga insignis .

aussiearoids

This has been planted out for approx 18 months now .Other delicate spotty plants nearby all got devoured by borers .

Hope this one survives long term . Shaded by Happy Plants and must thin them out a bit to give more light .

post-354-0-79456100-1352705194_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

It should be cool to planted P.rumphiana near it so you can see these 2 big Pinanga altogether.

60 meters above the sea level with less than 1000 mm annual rain.

Temperature range is 16 - 38 °C , average is 28 °C approximately.

Start to collected palms , cycads and succulent plants since 2004.

Big is right, a couple of mine are getting downright beefy. They just keep getting bigger and bigger. I'll post a few pics soon.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I do have a trunking Pinanga batanensis very close .

That is one happy looking palm. Love all the pinangas but these are really nice judging by some of the pics out there. I think bo has some really colourful ones

I would love to see some more pics of adults--mine are just seedlings right now... I take it they are a fast palm--fairly trouble free?

Here are a couple of photos of P. insignis in the garden. There are six altogether, three older and three younger. The younger ones are

showing more color and if it continues that way the older ones will probably get a trip to palm heaven. The big ones are bruisers for sure.

post-1300-0-26629400-1352877584_thumb.jp post-1300-0-81819900-1352877587_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow !!! :yay: Tim.

Your insignis are very excellent.

60 meters above the sea level with less than 1000 mm annual rain.

Temperature range is 16 - 38 °C , average is 28 °C approximately.

Start to collected palms , cycads and succulent plants since 2004.

Just too tempting to include a pic of mine (5-gal bucket for scale):

post-279-0-67591400-1352918610_thumb.jpg

Two of these were growing near the monkey cages at the Paneawa Zoo in 2006, when I collected and sprouted some seeds. They were considered unidentified at the time, though they had been planted by a contributor to the zoo palm planting program. I think that it was Dr. Dransfield who identified it as Pinanga insignis on his trip here. The one shown above was planted out of a 2-gal pot in September 2009.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Tim and Mike, yours look really nice! And yes, five or six is a good beginning! :) This is one of my favorite Pinangas. Planted five in a very tight group in my old garden - within a three ft radius of each other. Probably what NApalm is referring to above. And once they get up a bit in size they will usually display a lot of color, so Tim, be patient with yours! Before leaving my old garden, I had two large bad looking Cycas circinalis ripped out from the two planters out by the street. Replaced them with 37 P. insignis - 22 in one planter and 15 in the other. Should provide nice color with all those trunks in close proximity! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

This has been planted out for approx 18 months now .Other delicate spotty plants nearby all got devoured by borers .

Hope this one survives long term . Shaded by Happy Plants and must thin them out a bit to give more light .

post-354-0-79456100-1352705194_thumb.jpg

What is that attractive Eucomis like lily with the maroon leaves, is the flower pink or crispy white?

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Cedric , coloured leaf is a Cochliostemma odoratissima , it has purple and blue flowers .

Thank you, its an interesting plant I never knew it before, I grow Dichorisandra thyrsiflora, the texture of the leaf looks similar, purple and blue in this climate is very welcome and so scarce. I will look out for it.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

• 5 years later...

Anyone ever try a P. insignis in SoCal? Sure would love to grow one here.

As 5 1/2 years ago, I can't resist. Here is an update on my Pinanga insignis:

5af4d761ef120_Pinangainsignis_MLM_051018

• Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Quite the ‘chunks ‘ Mike. What is the palm in the background? Oraniopsis?

Since it's finally stopped raining, for the time being, I'll snap a pic of the P.insignis down in the lower garden.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Snapped some photos of P. insignis in the garden. Since my last post above, I've removed all but three.......just getting too big and robust for the space. Looks better now thinned out. They are truly monsters and the leaf sheaths, when they drop, remind me of heavy, thick, giant Dypsis fronds. 

There is a shovel for scale in the first photo. 

P1050435.jpg

P1050459 (1).jpg

P1050455.jpg

P1050463.jpg

• Upvote 5

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Splendid-looking palms, Tim. The big leaf in the back of my insignis is from an Astrocaryum murumuru. Behind the insignis and to the right is Socratea exhorrizum.

Mike Merritt

Thanks Mike. I planted an A. murumuru that you gave me, but it's not looking as good as yours.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii