IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Acanthophoenix Rubra

Mandrew968

I believe some of you are growning this palm in So Cal? Fairchild has a few nice ones about 13' or so(FTB is an excellent indicator of what is possible in South Florida). This is a beautiful palm that I would like to know more about; does it like full sun? What are this palm's water requirements? I heard it is cold sensitive, but how cold? What kind of soil does it like/dislike? How slow is this palm, really--Chambeyronia slow, or Pseudophoenix ekmanii slow? Thanks, everyone, for the future info!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I assume that your name is Andrew? ;)

Enclosed please find a description for growing Acanthophoenix - from a very well known seller.

The three species of Acanthophoenix are very decorative palms, but they have an excellent heart... so they are cultivated for their heart, excepted A. tripaludis (rousselii) which is extremelly rare and in my mind not cultivated for agriculture for the moment.

Yes our ground is volcanic and the medium for cultivation must be very drainant.

Natural conditions for the 3 species Acanthophoenix here in Reunion

- A. rubra : 0-150m (tropical hot) / humide - tropical rain forest / average 1500mm per year

- A. crinita : 800 m and more (quite subtropical) / highly humide - often fog / 2000mm and more

- A. tripaludis : 400-700 m (tropical) / medium dry / 500-1000mm

Hope, I could help you a little bit.

Best regards, Verena

• Like 1

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Yes, that's my name ;) thank you--I read your thread a little while ago, but I am more interested in personal experiences outdoors, out of their habitat...

Edited by Mandrew968

Do you want crinita planted input or just rubra?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

If crinita is easier, then that might change my mind as far as what i'll plant this spring--I believe it's rarer, no?

I think Rubra is rarer. But my crinita has been trouble free here in Coastal So Cal..Grows thru winter and takes more water than you would think...

If not trunking now, soon will be.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I think Rubra is rarer. But my crinita has been trouble free here in Coastal So Cal..Grows thru winter and takes more water than you would think...

If not trunking now, soon will be.

I've never seen a crinita in person, and am not too sure what they look like--maybe the rubra is rarer, but it was described first, i believe, since most of my books say a. rubra is part of a monotypic genus... doesn't it look similar to a dictosperma album?

Edited by Mandrew968

i have tried these a few times & they are very touchy. i mean dead. :mrlooney:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I think they want more sun than you give them Paul.

Andrew, the two are very similar...primarilly a reddish tint to the crown on the rubra... more of a tan on the crinita.

Here is my bigger A. crinita taken at night about 4 months ago.

post-27-082292300 1297824464_thumb.jpg

I should add, that this palm has consistantly looked good no matter what the weather here. Dry and 95F for a few days.. as low as 33F? No frost.

Quite often at the end of winter the Ceroxylons and this look the best.

• Like 2

WaTCHING THIS WITH BAITED BREATH . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The Ceroxylon winter-appearance comparison seems apt. Acanthophoenix crinita is a cloud forest species. We've been growing A. crinita in San Francisco for four years now (in the same 15g can!) and it's very tolerant--so happy, in fact, that I would doubt its adaptability for hot and humid conditions like Florida's. I'd steer you toward A. rubra. Being from the same altitudes and latitudes as Latania, Dictyosperma, and Hyophorbe, it has the potential to perform similarly in South Florida.http://www.palmguide.org/genus.php?family=ARECACEAE&genus=Acanthophoenix

• Like 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

I think they want more sun than you give them Paul.

Andrew, the two are very similar...primarilly a reddish tint to the crown on the rubra... more of a tan on the crinita.

Here is my bigger A. crinita taken at night about 4 months ago.

post-27-082292300 1297824464_thumb.jpg

I should add, that this palm has consistantly looked good no matter what the weather here. Dry and 95F for a few days.. as low as 33F? No frost.

Quite often at the end of winter the Ceroxylons and this look the best.

Your picture is truely inspirational. Do you think they would work as far inland as Whittier?

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Gary Levines is pretty far inland, but he had it in winter shade... Now its tall enough it sees sun pretty much all day. I would think it would be OK in half day sun..

Len's and Garys are tested way more than mine..

We had a 5ft specimen of A. rubra here but it died last winter. It could tolerate some brief cold but not the prolonged cool/cold we had last winter. I would love to try it again.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Mine have done far better then my coconuts, I have 5 in the ground and they all look fine after all this cold.

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Redant and Eric(in Orlando), where did you get yours? I'm going to the extravaganza and I was gonna look for A. rubra there, but I love having a choice...

Andrew,

I recently got two small rubras from Steve Sterns rare palms. (Homestead area). They were pricey, & although they had obviously been grown well, unfortunately they hated being shipped & hated being in San Diego. Steve's a good guy though..

Bret

Edited by quaman58

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

thanks--he's only 20 miles from me, so if I hit him up, at least I won't have to go through the whole shipping/so cal thing...

Redant and Eric(in Orlando), where did you get yours? I'm going to the extravaganza and I was gonna look for A. rubra there, but I love having a choice...

I got mine at the palm sale held every year in Boyton Beach. I'm sure you will finds some at the spring sale at Montgomery :drool:

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Ours came from JD Andersen

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 months later...

Andrew, my sunshine - that´s sooooo cute, THANK YOU. This palm is simply a royal highness and beautiful, isn´t it? :)

Well, to be honest, at this time I would have need some weeks to post again about the red barbel palm. Why? Not sure, how many of mine have survived but less than 10. :(

There are 6 - 8 further plants without leaves; but it is possible that they are alive. Will explain below, why this option lives.

There happens strange things always after potting them in. I have no idea what this is but maybe Bret is right when he wrote that they hate shipping ... the first 3 days everything is fine but then ... within some hours (!!!) the leaves dry out completely and look like straw. Very strange ... the most of them die within 1 week. New is that some of them that have "straw" leaves seam to be alive. I have had Acanthos where I could pull out the shaft. With about 6 or 7 of them this does not work - the shaft is very fix. I say there is hope! There must be hope because I would not accept anything other.

And then ... I have true survivors with healthy leaves. It is amazing to watch the principle of the nature: "The surviving of the fittest".

8 Acanthos show there is life in them. A part of my day belongs to them and they know this. The most beautiful of all (with a new leaf!!!) I call Vicky (from Victoria, the godess of victory). A really adorable little girl with a power that seems to be not of this world.

My next Acantho I will get from Steve Stern. This weekend he returned from business travel and will prepare the shipping. Maybe is it better to buy an older and better acclimated specimen, not from their home in La Réunion but from another warm area. Steve lives in South California (if I am right), he grows Acanthos with success.

The most expensive part of this order will be the shipping costs. As I do not have good experiences with USPS in Standard International Shipping I will choose the Express Shipping for international customers. This took 5 business days max, with luck 3.

Here you may see my new little baby - a real good feeling to know that the plant has a label with my name now and is sold. :)

DSC01428.JPG

DSC01429.JPG

Have a nice weekend and love,

Verena

Verena, Steve Stern lives in Homestead Florida. I have seen his Acanthos and I was impressed! He gets them from the same place you do, but he has a master green thumb--everything in his stable is impressive to any and all who haunt this site. He specializes in the tough grows and extremely rare palms(lemurophoenix, forest coconut, ledinianas, lipsticks, and much more). You will be very happy with his palms :) glad you liked the photos!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, there -

update: yesterday I have picked-up a further Acantho baby at the customers. The little queen arrived in really perfect condition, Steve has done his best. By the usage of a new and (for shipment to Europe) untested soil the Acantho looks like on the day it has been shipped. Wow!

Steve is happy like me because he has got no experiences in shipping to Europe; if you like it was a launch for him and: very successfully.

As the Acantho is very difficult to handle my intention was to loose no time. After 7 days for delivery the palm has to recover from stress and darkness. Actually it is in a plastic bag with high humidity. Watering not before Friday, just the leaves has been showered a little bit. Same procedure as usual: location for the little beauty is a shady place, beyond Nemesis.

What a great time. :)

post-3495-089879500 1306306962_thumb.jpg

post-3495-087941500 1306306979_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Steve's palms are well grown; Glad you recieved her! I would bet that getting them from Steve would be easier than from the Island itself...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My dear Verena, the rubra is absolutely beautiful, and know exactly how you feel. It was love at first sight. How are yours doing? One day I will obtain one to study the growth pattern and watch grow from youth. Everytime I go to Fairchild I must take a photo of it; it's the only one I know and have access to, and since I officially have internet, I want to share them with you. So far - VERY SLOW. I'm so excited to see it flower, but it's been 6 months!! You might have seen some earlier, but the dates are officially on them. :) I call this palm, Skittles.

post-5788-094892600 1310994372_thumb.jpg

post-5788-048057000 1310994380_thumb.jpg

post-5788-084029600 1310994386_thumb.jpg

post-5788-013651400 1310994395_thumb.jpg

post-5788-021245800 1310994401_thumb.jpg

post-5788-080319000 1310994407_thumb.jpg

post-5788-094806000 1310994413_thumb.jpg

post-5788-002323800 1310995307_thumb.jpg

Can someone tell me what the seed pod is called and the part that is coming out, I am assuming that will have the flowers on it? Please advise! :) Newbie!

post-5788-089465200 1310995685_thumb.jpg

post-5788-013531800 1310995694_thumb.jpg

post-5788-094637400 1310995703_thumb.jpg

post-5788-012339500 1310995716_thumb.jpg

post-5788-005264600 1310995734_thumb.jpg

post-5788-007930500 1310995746_thumb.jpg

post-5788-040058500 1310995760_thumb.jpg

post-5788-042919100 1310995773_thumb.jpg

post-5788-030459700 1310995784_thumb.jpg

For the flowering process, does it usually take months prior to opening? And once it opens does the production of flowers take as long? Anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...

Tiffany, thank you! A person who loves this very special palm like me is a friend. A good friend. For me. :) Very impressive pictures, love it.

@ all: I am back again once more. Sorry for being absent but the new job is stressful. But it is good, very good!

Well .. where I should begin ... no idea ... there has been happenend a lot to my palms. I guess, Peachy will know more than others what it means to loose the favorite and loved palm. :( My big L. weddelianum is dead. No idea, why ... it simply seemed to happen overnight. No reason, no sign. Believe me, I have cried a lot. The baby I have growed for more than 8 years I had to give up. A tragedy, really ... The place on the palm bank is not empty but I would prefer it to look at this very special palm. However, it shouldn´t be.

6 new and very small seedlings of the L. weddelianum I have bought. My intention is to grow them alone and over the years. Everyone can buy a larger palm of this species, but just a small number of grower makes it to let them grow here in Europe for many years. New game, new luck.

My Acanthos (the survivors, we talk about 8 palms) and that of Steve in CAL are still alive! Believe it or not but they are growing. Excepted the Acantho of Steve, the others have 2 new and fully opened leaves per palm, other new I can see. Live is beautiful. For one week 11 further Acanthos have been delivered from Thierry in Réunion. :D And what should I say: NO PLANT DIED, EVERY SINGLE ACANTHO IS STILL ALIVE AFTER 1 WEEK! Unbelievable. Never have had such a luck with them, they are genereally touchy. I am so happy, you cannot imagine.

A lot of palms I have bought in the last time ... Ravaneas, Archonthophoenix (special and rare subspecies). And a new palm I never have had --> Pigafetta elata. Do not know how you see this but I think it looks like a little sister of the Acanthophoenix. A very pretty palm.

But the very best I have in store for you I will tell you now! Jeff from Floribunda Palms has made what nobody made before ... I guess I will go to the local customs on Monday (very kind guys, no problems, they know me for years) or will receive (with luck) a parcel. It was risky but it worked. No further information about this ...

Ladies and Gentlemen ... on Monday a lot of work is waiting for me. Not less than 75 (!!!!!) Lytocaryum hoehnei seedlings want to be potted in, need a special and privileged place. All preparations have been finished to welcome the babies. The soil is mixed, the pots are bought, the special palm banks, too.

Happy to be able to post again, friends.

Back to the palm life, back to IPS, back to you.

Verena

• 9 months later...

Andrew - have you got one yet? :unsure:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Andrew - have you got one yet? :unsure:

No--I have had a few opportunities to pull the trigger on one, but when it came down to it, I ended up with something else...

Those are great habitat shots Olivier. I find this genus facinating for some reason. As Bill mentioned, the crinita grows well here, as well as one I plugged into the ground last year that I think is a rouselii. Still looking for a rubra, although they can grow here. Here's a pretty "sick" one growing here locally...

post-55-051788200 1337264574_thumb.jpg

post-55-011161700 1337264629_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

• 10 years later...

A bit of a bump. How are everyones Acanthophoenix going now.

I'm planning to plant my Acanthophoenix rubra tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

16 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

A bit of a bump. How are everyones Acanthophoenix going now.

I'm planning to plant my Acanthophoenix rubra tomorrow. 

Palmgo LIKE picture! 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.