IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ortanique - Inventory Loss?

insipidtoast

Well, I'm looking for Parajubaea torralyi var. torralyi and Parajubaea coccoides seeds right now. I just visited the ortanique webpage last night, and it seems like at least half of what used to be on that site is gone. The home page has a little blurb still about P TVT, but this is one of the seeds that is no longer on their list. So, I checked rarepalmseeds, they sell 10 seeds for 21-22 euros, which seems very expensive to me.

Are there any other suppliers?

I would contact Perito close to you with big plants and be done with it.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Perito has a very nice setup. I'm with BS Man.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Bolivia has officially banned export of native seeds. Maybe its a good time to get them when their is still some stocks.

Maybe Toby is still able to get new stocks, maybe these are the last ones , I dont know.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Will this affect P. cocoides availiability as well or only P. toralyi var. microcarpa? I would guess only the second which is a Bolivian native,right?

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Probably just the torralyis. Coccoides is native to Ecuador. Nonetheless, there are probably established torralyi specimens throughout south america (not just in Bolivia) from which seeds are harvested.

I've bought from Perito before. He's got a great selection. I don't think he sells seeds though. If you do Perry, I'd pay you 20$ for 10 seeds.

Ortanique is probably still backed up trying to get me seeds from joining the IPS a year and a half ago from their promotion. I wouldn't count on them to even speculate if the sun will rise tomorrow.

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Probably just the torralyis. Coccoides is native to Ecuador. Nonetheless, there are probably established torralyi specimens throughout south america (not just in Bolivia) from which seeds are harvested.

I've bought from Perito before. He's got a great selection. I don't think he sells seeds though. If you do Perry, I'd pay you 20$ for 10 seeds.

No seeds, sorry. I think I'm a few years off from having a mature tree, although I think there are probably some trees bearing fruit in California. It looks like Ortanique is leaning away from Palm seeds and towards Cycad seeds. Perry

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

See-

This part fascinates me. I don't understand why someone would want to pay $20 for 10 seeds (not even sure if they are available at that price) and HOPE they got them to germinate and THEN get HALF of them to 15 gal size in 4-6 years when you could pay $60 to get a huge 15 gal from Perry who I suspect is within an hours drive.

But to each his own. I could see wanting to try seeds of rare stuff not found locally, but... I guess I know too many people that have watched plants UNDER1-2 gal size die on a regular basis....a chance to buy larger plants at a great price is a rare opportunity.

(no- Perry has not paid me a dime or asked me to post this.) :

:blink:

:huh:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill - they are hard to germinate, I've only got about 30% of my Tvt's up after two years - however they are also very hard to kill once germinated. Unlike some other species I'd rather not talk about...

Having said that we dont have the luxury of good (or any) palm nurseries here, so its sow seed or perish really!

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Yes, I agree too...BS is smarter than the average bear...Better to buy larger plants than small seedlings or seeds...

Yes, I agree too...BS is smarter than the average bear...Better to buy larger plants than small seedlings or seeds...

I'll probably be buying some P TVTs from Perry in the near future. A few fifteen gallons would be nice, or maybe even bigger sizes. I also like the idea of a flat of small seedlings. Also some seeds too. Then you can have a multi-generation forest.