IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butyiagrus Offspring

Tampa Scott

For the second Winter now this hybrid (grown from Butiagrus seed) shows damage to the opening frond. Low of 29f with no frost this season so far, but the damage is showing again. Has this hybrid lost its cold hardiness?

Wow, thats crazy! Less cold tolerance than any of its ancestors!

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I never realized that was a sign of cold damage...

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

That is strange Scott. I have damage on my XButiagrus' F1 when small but not after they reach 15 gallon size, even to the newly emerging spear like yours. The only large XButiagrus that shows any damage is the plumose one that i have put pics up of.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

For the second Winter now this hybrid (grown from Butiagrus seed) shows damage to the opening frond. Low of 29f with no frost this season so far, but the damage is showing again. Has this hybrid lost its cold hardiness?

That´s very strange!

The queen palms that grows in Florida in must be from a very tropical provenance to make this Butiagrus (Butiagrus x s.romanz.?)so frost tender.

The native queen palm from south Brazil is hardier then this hybrid!!!:mrlooney::rolleyes: stange!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Scott,I hope the one I have from you will be tougher.

I was thinking about planting mine out in spring.

Do you have other reports of a butyagrus from you that survived lower themperature?

A few days ago I cut an old leaf from the red based seedling that you also gave to me and from the butyagrus, and sticked it in the ground outside for three days. This three days we had a prolonged freeze down to -7°C(19°F). So the temperature never rose higher than 0°C(32°F) for the whole three days!

After that I brought them back inside and sticked it into a pot with moist soil. After one day I could see that the butyagrus leaf was totally fried, but the leaf from the red based seedling was like ontouched! I guess this one must be a pure butia.

Marcel

Edited by maesy

Scott,I hope the one I have from you will be tougher.

I was thinking about planting mine out in spring.

Do you have other reports of a butyagrus from you that survived lower themperature?

A few days ago I cut an old leaf from the red based seedling that you also gave to me and from the butyagrus, and sticked it in the ground outside for three days. This three days we had a prolonged freeze down to -7°C(19°F). So the temperature never rose higher than 0°C(32°F) for the whole three days!

After that I brought them back inside and sticked it into a pot with moist soil. After one day I could see that the butyagrus leaf was totally fried, but the leaf from the red based seedling was like ontouched! I guess this one must be a pure butia.

Marcel

Marcel, Nice to hear from you! The hybrid that I posted with the damaged new leaf was the palm that I germinated from a Butiagrus seed. The hybrid you have is a Butiagrus (ButiaxS.rom.) I do not think that a Butiagrus will withstand 3 whole days below freezing. I may be wrong and hope others will chime in if they have had success with 3 days below freezing. Yes the red base plant is Butia.

Edited by Tampa Scott

I would not leave it unprotected for more than a day. maximum a light frost, maybe 28 or 29°F. If there is colder weather coming in, I would protect is with fleece and heating cable.

Marcel

That is strange Scott. I have damage on my XButiagrus' F1 when small but not after they reach 15 gallon size, even to the newly emerging spear like yours. The only large XButiagrus that shows any damage is the plumose one that i have put pics up of.

Mark, I also find it strange. I understood the damage after last years 12+ hrs below freezing on the newly opening spear. This time the freeze was only 4 hrs and no frost.

Doesn't make sense. My Butiagrus, and my Butias showed no damage even after last year's nasty 15 year record lows. We saw 3 nights in a row right near the 20 degree mark, and more secondary frost and freezes than I can remember. No damage. The Butiagrus never stopped growing. I have to think it may be weakened already from some other environmental stress.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I don't think that's cold damage.

I think the palm will grow through whatever the problem is.

Those hybrids are tough as nails.

I'd give it a dose of bug killer and some fungicide down the apical bud.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

But what I think we really ought to say kudos to is that Bizzie with the ten feet of trunk in the background :drool:

Kudos!

If your Bizzie's ok, then you're Mule is DEFINITELY ok.

I feel that the droopy spear is nothing to get overly concerned about. I can attest to the toughness of this palm. I have a Butiagrus that was created in Florida that has had a very rough go in CA, and is now great. In 2007, I even had the spear pull and it looked totally dead. it re-sprouted from the base and is back on track again (finally). They're TOUGH.

I think you'll be OK. :D

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

I'm in the "not cold damage" camp. From the pic it looks like a spear that has opened a bit prematurely, maybe due to wind, and the foliage is still imature. I've had a few do that and they green up with time.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I don't see any cold damage in that photo. Also, when there is cold damage to a palm, it's usually the fronds that are on a horizontal plane first. the spear is the last to be damaged. That coloration in the new leaf looks normal. I bet it grows out to a healthy leaf.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I don't see any cold damage in that photo. Also, when there is cold damage to a palm, it's usually the fronds that are on a horizontal plane first. the spear is the last to be damaged. That coloration in the new leaf looks normal. I bet it grows out to a healthy leaf.

I get damage to a newly opened frond (2-4 weeks depending on the palm) much earlier and at a less temperature drop than a horizontal (existing) frond. When a new spear opens up going into winter, it takes forever to harden off. Then 33F temps come along and wreck the translucent yellowish new frond. 80% of my damage so far this year is to new fronds.

I get damage to a newly opened frond (2-4 weeks depending on the palm) much earlier and at a less temperature drop than a horizontal (existing) frond. When a new spear opens up going into winter, it takes forever to harden off. Then 33F temps come along and wreck the translucent yellowish new frond. 80% of my damage so far this year is to new fronds.

That's very unusual since horizontal leaves are subjected to the full extent of cold temperatures and especially damage from the formation of frost. That's why tying fronds up in a vertical position helps protect them from freeze damage.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Thanks for the thoughts, but let me add that the damaged leaf from last winter did not grow out of it. This is the only hybrid that shows this damage,except for my variegated Butiagrus that damages very easy on all leaves.

Looks like frost damage to me! I hope Jeff is correct w/ saying it will grow out of it!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Looks like frost damage to me! I hope Jeff is correct w/ saying it will grow out of it!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

I get cold damage to Mules that size here, but not until we get into the mid-teens F, and it manifests as a spear pull with the older fronds undamaged. The spear then grows out when spring arrives and you wind up with a frond that is missing the portion that froze right above the bud.

I don't think that is cold damage, especially from such mild temperatures. That far up the new frond it should be hardened off enough to handle the same temps as the older fronds. The cold damage usually effects the first inch or so of the new frond right above the bud.

It appears to be a frond that opened too early or maybe a mineral deficiency. I see the same thing on some of my Butias when they are actively growing in the spring. I have to give them chelated iron to green them back up, but you may have a different deficiency issue in your soil.

• Upvote 1

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

It appears to be a frond that opened too early or maybe a mineral deficiency. I see the same thing on some of my Butias when they are actively growing in the spring. I have to give them chelated iron to green them back up, but you may have a different deficiency issue in your soil.

I was thinking exactly this...... Butias in the UK do this in spring, cold ground, plant growing and roots cant get nutrient because the ground is cold. If the ground is cold and the plant is growing it could explain this. However, if it were this the spear would green up after a short while with heat.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

I get cold damage to Mules that size here, but not until we get into the mid-teens F, and it manifests as a spear pull with the older fronds undamaged. The spear then grows out when spring arrives and you wind up with a frond that is missing the portion that froze right above the bud.

I don't think that is cold damage, especially from such mild temperatures. That far up the new frond it should be hardened off enough to handle the same temps as the older fronds. The cold damage usually effects the first inch or so of the new frond right above the bud.

I agree with Martin

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

We used to have a 30ft X Butyagrus here at Leu Gardens that would show severe cold damage below about 29-30F. It would almost defoliage but by end of summer it had grown out of it. There is no record as to what its source was. It and 3 others were donated by the Orlando Parks Dept. back in the mid 1980s. We lost it in summer 1999, after a violent afternoon storm, the trunk snapped around 6ft up.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The only photos I have of it are 2 slides taken in July 1990.

I took the best digital photos I could of the 2 sldes. You can see it was defoliated by the rcord 12/89 freeze but growing back. It is the big palm on the far right. Part of the trunk looks very thick, this is from sword fern growing on it and the fern was killed the previous winter and the fibrous matting is still on the trunk. In the background and to the left, the first palm is another X Butyagrus. The 2nd to the left is the trunked Jubaea that used to be in the collection here.

img_4007.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

In this 2nd digital photo of a slide, the "tender" X Butyagrus is more in the center. The other X Butyagrus is just to the right and the Jubaea to the left.

img_4005.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a