IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phytosanitary Certificates from Panama

Dr. George

We have a friend in Panama City, Panama who has offered to provide us with some seeds but knows nothing about the process of obtaining a Phytosanitary certificate. Shipment would be to a location in Hawaii that has a valid USDA import permit. Is there anyone in Panama or experienced with the Panamanian bureaucracy who might be able to mentor our friend through the process?

Please feel free to PM me with questions or information.

Thanks for any assistance - gmp

Here in the states, we have to hold a license with the Department af Agriculture to obtain a phyto. The license holder calls for an inspection of the material to be shipped, and the phyto is usually written on site. Maybe they can contact the Panama dept of Ag for instruction.

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Dr George, If Panama is anything like Costa Rica, the best thing is for your friend to contact a Customs Broker who will take care of all the necessary forms and/or paperwork to ship you the seeds (for a fee, of course).

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Thanks, guys. Apparently the Panamanian authorities have been less than helpful in the past. Going with a Customers Broker is something that had not occurred to us - worth checking out - thanks.

If anyone else has any direct experience with Panama or other (legal) suggestions for us, please let us know.

Appreciate all of the help - gmp

My main job over the years has been international shipping and logistics. Jeff is right you need a customs broker to do this. One option would be for you to contact a global company like DHL or Fedex. Their freight management people can probably arrange for this to be done. I would have them contact the Panama office of one of these companies. Panama is much easier to work with in these matters than where I am and I do not see any great complexity to the matter.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks, Don - This gives me a start on how to find a customs broker in Panama.

Sent an e-mail to FedEx Trade Networks and we'll see what response we get.

gmp

If you need I can ask some friends of mine in Miama who may be able to find a customs broker for you.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

If you need I can ask some friends of mine in Miama who may be able to find a customs broker for you.

dk

That may be very helpful and would be appreciated.

Feel free to PM me if there is personal information to exchange.

Thanks - gmp

So here is the no help reply from the folks at FedEx Trade Networks Transport & Brokerage:

"I'm sorry to inform you but this issue has to be handled by Panamanian authorities."

We'll give DHL a try and see if we have any better luck. - gmp