IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Incredible Growth One Year

Got Palms

Here is an example of some incredible growth for one years time from one of six gigas in the ground! feel free to post your before and after pics! Sergio.

post-3040-12757749916097_thumb.jpg

post-3040-12757750027151_thumb.jpg

Wow, very fast

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

Thanks for the reply Kris and Stephan!

That is fast growth. I have C. gigas, C. obtusa, and C. maxima;

the latter two are in the ground; they all are fast growing, can't wait to put the C. gigas in the ground.

I don't have before and after shots for the C. obtusa, but for the C. maxima there is a one year span:

post-3769-12758583356291_thumb.jpg

These Caryota maxima have been in the ground for about one year, the photo below shows what happened over the second year in the ground:

post-3769-12758614006035_thumb.jpg

This is the same plant seen in the foreground in the first photo.

post-3769-1275861501154_thumb.jpg

This Caryota obtusa is suppose to be the same species as Caryota gigas, but I find some differences in the leaf details. This guy has more than doubled his size in one year in the ground similar to the C. maxima.

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

Monster in the making, lock up your daughters and your sons.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Sergio,

Your garden looks great. Very neat edging, too. I envy your garden lights. Still haven't been able to dig some in after many years. Your Caryota grows fast and very fast compared to my Caryota Urens. I just wonder why it struggles to carry more leaves. Everything looks so lush in your garden. Did the leaves get burned during summer?

Cheers,

Wolfgang

Cape Town, Table View

1km from the Atlantic Ocean

Lat: -33.8541, Lon: 18.4888

Mild summers between 17-30 and wet winters 6-20 degree celcius

Average rainfall 500mm

Hi Sergio,

Your garden looks great. Very neat edging, too. I envy your garden lights. Still haven't been able to dig some in after many years. Your Caryota grows fast and very fast compared to my Caryota Urens. I just wonder why it struggles to carry more leaves. Everything looks so lush in your garden. Did the leaves get burned during summer?

Cheers,

Wolfgang

Hmm.

Your C. urens is slow?

I've got some that are literally 60 feet (20 m) tall in five years from 2 foot-tall (.66 m) plants. Sounds like you might have another species.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

GP:

Wow, that is fast!

They get really massive when mature, with a trunk up to three feet across (1 m).

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

GP:

Wow, that is fast!

They get really massive when mature, with a trunk up to three feet across (1 m).

Dave this weather we are having now is incredible and very condusive to our palm growth i hope everyone else is expierencing great weather and palm growth!

Hi Sergio,

Cheers,

Wolfgang

Wolfgang all my palms were placed in the ground in April of 2009 this will be the second summer they see, no burn from last year our summers rarley see triple digits and if we do it's only for a few days at a time, my urens also were a little bit slow at first but as Dave said they seem to be speeding up now! Cheers Sergio.

Sergio,

Your caryota looks great. I have 3 caryota [mitis\ no\ urens] that grow fairly fast also. Can I ask where you are located?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Sergio,

Your caryota looks great. I have 3 caryota [mitis\ no\ urens] that grow fairly fast also. Can I ask where you are located?

Happ im in the city of Whittier Ca behiond whittier colledge if ever in town PM me u r welcome anytime!

Sergio, beautiful garden and astounding growth. Until you put up this post, I have not seen too many discussions on caryota and was wondering whether it was persona non grata outside the subcontinent. I have a c. urens in the ground since January this year and i'm hoping it will zoom after the rains.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm