• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

a couple tender palms in a good microclimate downtown Orlando

Eric in Orlando

Downtown Orlando is a good warm microclimate. I was down at the Orange co. History Museum and saw these 2 tender palms. The Hyophorbe lagenicaulis had little damage after this winter. the Licuala grandis had more but it was growing a new spear in the center.

117_0468.jpg

117_0467.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Nice finds, hope they recover.

:) Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

a little crispy but looks like they're growing. :greenthumb:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

That's amazing Eric, all the Hyophorbe lagenicaulis around here are dead, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Hmm.

Regular AND Extra-Crispy . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My old bottle palms are tough things. One of them has been through 2 bad frosts and there are quite a few really advanced ones growing in the district in very exposed positions. A black frost will singe them but otherwise they about unkillable. My only gripe with them is that they are so bloody slow.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Eric,

There are a good number of slightly larger bottles planted along the parking lot margins of a strip mall in Kissimmee, on the northwest corner of John Young Parkway and Oak St. They all got singed, but were in pretty good shape considering the winter we had. A mature coconut down the street from them was defoliated and may be dead.

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

There is a really big bottle palm at a house by Lake Underhill that is growing back. It has been there for awhile and is in a nice microclimate.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric, I was downtown today (near the corner of Colonial and Ferncreek) and saw a few Foxtails that had no damage whatsoever. This compared to quite a few queen palms I saw recently in Longwood with 25-50 % burn from this past winter. The downtown Orlando microclimate is pretty remarkable indeed.

-Michael

I've seen quite a few foxtails in the metro area with little or no damage. They took they cold much better than coconuts and adonidia palms.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a