IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Snow on palms southern Europe

Exotic Life

Just seen a few pics from southern france and Spain where the snow is falling on 8 March 2010! Quite strange for that area's for sure.. Winter also still here with every night freezing temperatures but sunny during the days... Nooo I still have to wait when spring comes here.. second horrible winter in a row.

My dad was talking someone who lives in southern france close to Perpignan, and said he has to burn almost 6 months wood now for heat.. normally only a few months in the colder nights during winter. Cold winter also there...

1532010838361.jpg

1532010841270.jpg

1532010841273.jpg

Costa Brava, Spain close to the beach this afternoon... :blink:

strapro.jpg

Southwest

cool pics, or cold, its been a not so perfect winter here too but it will get better. wow i didn't know it snowed in Barcelona

Edited by floridasun

i love florida...............and palm trees!

Wow,i didnt expect it be so bad everywhereblink.gif I guess we are blessed having a 11C max in Melissia today then and definately,NO snowsmilie.gif It rained mud though and my palms all look brownishlaugh.gif

Here it has snowed in the middle of March in the past so its not totally unheard of. My sympathies to those receiving that bad weather and wish you get minimal damage smilie.gif

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Robbin, those are incredible photos. I've never seen so much snow on palm trees! Hope they survive.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

That's spooky seeing the Costa Brava under snow, Robbin. Thanks for the pictures.

Robin!

Thanks for sharing! Those pictures are amazing, like something out of a science-fiction movie.

I remember a novel a while back, "the Blizzard of Los Angeles."

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Freaky weather indeed, so many snow and also cold such south of Europe in even also the always milder area's. The next few days only high's from 4-6C/39.2-42.8F and freezing nights between the -1/-3C = 30.2/26.6F. In Blanes, a populair area during the summer for us in Spain got even some -6C/21F nighs forecasted! :blink:

I think there will be some damage for sure on those palms and other exotic stuff over there this spring/summer when it comes. If I have to believe the forecast for those area's spring is coming there in about a week with temperatures above the 15C/59F.

For here, almost the same temperatures are maybe even some higher then souther europe with maximum forecast for the next few days to 8C/46.4F and some light frost during the nighs. That's all because the high pressure is close to us and everything is blocked so clear nights, the only good thing is the sunny days. This month is almost more sunnier the whole Februari over here, but way below average temperatures. Looks like the long term forecast give some early signs of spring with double figures during the day and no frost during the nights. Otherwise it's a long time before we are there so maybe it's colder then again already...

Lots of plants died again here in the garden, most because those nasty icedays. Almost the whole garden freezed to death or got damaged in only 2 horrible winters. I heard somewhile ago that the cold winters come always with a part from 2, so if that's right we have got the worst now and can I build up my collection again. :hmm:

Robbin

Southwest

Wow! We have been complaining here in P. It only got up to 15ºc today and is raining. The night time temps will be around 4ºc the next couple of nights.

My new palms from the south of Spain were sent to me today. I hope they don´t freeze during the transport.

Thanks for the info and pics.

Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

15C sounds lovely to me at te moment and also for those people who living over there in the snow I think. I'm defitnely done and sick from the cold... Need some heat and sunny spring days now! The sunny days are here alreadt but those temperatures don't want to visit me so far.

March is the fourth colder then average month in a row at the moment. Just keep thinking... the last time we had a quite cold start of March was in 2006 almost the same looking like now. We all know what happend that summer over here, massive heatwaves and temperatures from 30C almost every day in July and recorded my highest temperature ever over here in the garden with 37C! Soooo keep thinking of that... :mrlooney:

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

Nice one robbin. I don´t think we will get that hot here in the summer. My climate is very coastal almost like an island. But, it would be nice to have a hot summer. And while we´re at it please a hot and moist summer but just not hot enough to kill my dear ceroxylons. The next couple of days the rain will go away and it will get colder but no frost is planned as of yet.

Dag

Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

Wow, amazing photos...the snow is really testing those palms.

Sorry to hear of your losses Robbin...I'm sure your garden will rebound nicely once the weather warms up.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Wow, those photos are amazing. My friend said it had snowed in Aragón but I didn't know it could snow like this in Costa Brava, by the sea. Wish you a nice spring and summer Robbin, extensive to all European palm fans.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Brrr look the ice on the tree along the mediterrean sea... looks weird.

72310090320100850.jpg

That are some beautifull sunrise snow pics on that link.

Here is a figure from the temperatures this morning, cold with -4 to -6 in Southern France!

83201093652.jpg

Satelite picture, looks the white stuff on the ground...

309603282072.jpg

Robbin

Southwest

Thanks Daryl and Gileno. Well we have periode of colder then average months now, but something like that would be normal when the climate is warming up they say. Otherwise if we had the same wind directions and pressure system 20 years ago it was a lot colder then it was now, so also now there was a visuable change to see. However to cold for me, and lots of plants so hoping for a nice spring and summer now and some normal mild winters again to build op a nice garden again. :rolleyes:

Southwest

Nice one robbin. I don´t think we will get that hot here in the summer. My climate is very coastal almost like an island. But, it would be nice to have a hot summer. And while we´re at it please a hot and moist summer but just not hot enough to kill my dear ceroxylons. The next couple of days the rain will go away and it will get colder but no frost is planned as of yet.

Dag

Jason

Didn't know that, my thoughts where that Spain and Portugal got always high temperatures during summer but forget that places to the coast can be much cooler.

Well 2006 was a very hot summer for us, and the start of 2006 was almost the same like this year... but you never know over here.

Southwest

amazing pics,robbin! good luck with your garden,alot of us can sympathize with that these days.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Wow amazing photos.... thanks for sharing, hope it warms up for you soon! Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

BBC has some horrifying video.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

The coast of central and southern Italy escaped this snow but we had some here in Rome midd February, it was the first time since 2005 and the heaviest since 1986.

Tomas

post-738-12682387545778_thumb.jpg