IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jarnuary 2010 Weather Thread

Cristóbal

¡ Feliz Año Nuevo !

Prosit Neujahr !

Bonne Année !

If you are in the north hemisphere this is the very worst month for your palms !

If you are in the south hemisphere this is the very best month !

How is the weather by you ?

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Cristobal,

You beat me to it, but I can't post weather here for another two days. Regardless, ¡ Feliz Año Nuevo

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Today it's warm but rainy. Tomorrow through wednesday all have lows in the 30's, going as low as 33 on tuesday, which may mean we could see a freeze if it gets any colder than predicted. All tropicals will go into the garage for those days in case of frost. After that it's predicted to be rainy and warm again.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

36C tomorrow. Nothing below 32C for the next week. I've got the reticulation going now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The news for this week keeps getting better, not. This looks plain nasty. And I got a sneaky feeling they are gonna lower it yet again, as they have already done so, twice.

<H2 class=moduleTitleBar>10-Day Forecast</H2>.promoLinkA { COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px; TEXT-DECORATION: none}.promoLinkA:link { COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px; TEXT-DECORATION: none}.promoLinkA:active { COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px; TEXT-DECORATION: none}.promoLinkA:visited { COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px; TEXT-DECORATION: none}#flCheck_div { VISIBILITY: hidden}NEW: Larger Radar Maps & No Ads

blank.gifHigh /

Low (°F)Precip. %blank.gifToday

Jan 01Mostly Sunny / Wind57°/33°20 %Sat

Jan 02Mostly Sunny56°/33°10 %Sun

Jan 03Mostly Sunny54°/32°0 %Mon

Jan 04Partly Cloudy50°/28°20 %Tue

Jan 05Sunny50°/30°0 %Wed

Jan 06Partly Cloudy52°/39°10 %Thu

Jan 07Showers49°/35°40 %Fri

Jan 08Mostly Sunny50°/32°10 %Sat

Jan 09Sunny50°/36°0 %Sun

Jan 10Sunny55°/46°0 %Last Updated Jan 1 10:14 a.m. CT

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The news for this week keeps getting better, not. This looks plain nasty. And I got a sneaky feeling they are gonna lower it yet again, as they have already done so, twice.

<H2 class=moduleTitleBar>10-Day Forecast</H2>.promoLinkA { COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px; TEXT-DECORATION: none}.promoLinkA:link { COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px; TEXT-DECORATION: none}.promoLinkA:active { COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px; TEXT-DECORATION: none}.promoLinkA:visited { COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px; TEXT-DECORATION: none}#flCheck_div { VISIBILITY: hidden}NEW: Larger Radar Maps & No Ads

blank.gifHigh /

Low (°F)Precip. %blank.gifToday

Jan 01Mostly Sunny / Wind57°/33°20 %Sat

Jan 05Sunny50°/30°0 %Wed

Jan 09Sunny50°/36°0 %Sun

blank.gifHigh / Low (°F)Precip. %blank.gifToday

Jan 01Mostly Sunny / Wind57°/33°

Jan 05Sunny50°/30°0 %Wed

Jan 09Sunny50°/36°0 %Sun

Cold Cold Cold and more cold. Unbelievble... normally we have a mild westerly breeze during the winters that keeping us warm with only some short frost periods. Last winter was horrible, but this winter looks like to be even more horrible then the last one. Last december I got almost 20 cm of snow, haven't see that many snow in years. In the north of our country they have got more then 50 cm of snow in December, during X-mas we had a milder period so the snow was gone and no freezing for a few days and nights.

What a suprize two days ago I recieved 2-3 cm of snow again and the north again heights from 10 cm. Temperatures don't showing any signs of warming up, the next few days will be frost during the nights and days. The long term forecast showing some warming up high in the sky but on the ground there would be a strong eastern winds so frost during the nighs so far as I can see and only daytemperatures from 1-2C.

Temperatures here, got one time -9C because some transport cold. Most of the night are between the -4 to -6 and that's defitnely colder then the winters what we normally got. Last winter I lost a lot, even some bigger palms... hopefully this winter will not take some other palms again.

If someone has a little to much heat, please send them over here please? I really hate winter, and defitnely winters like this when our mild west circulation decided to not keeping us "warm".

Robbin

Southwest

Cold Cold Cold and more cold. Unbelievble... normally we have a mild westerly breeze during the winters that keeping us warm with only some short frost periods. Last winter was horrible, but this winter looks like to be even more horrible then the last one. Last december I got almost 20 cm of snow, haven't see that many snow in years. In the north of our country they have got more then 50 cm of snow in December, during X-mas we had a milder period so the snow was gone and no freezing for a few days and nights.

What a suprize two days ago I recieved 2-3 cm of snow again and the north again heights from 10 cm. Temperatures don't showing any signs of warming up, the next few days will be frost during the nights and days. The long term forecast showing some warming up high in the sky but on the ground there would be a strong eastern winds so frost during the nighs so far as I can see and only daytemperatures from 1-2C.

Temperatures here, got one time -9C because some transport cold. Most of the night are between the -4 to -6 and that's defitnely colder then the winters what we normally got. Last winter I lost a lot, even some bigger palms... hopefully this winter will not take some other palms again.

If someone has a little to much heat, please send them over here please? I really hate winter, and defitnely winters like this when our mild west circulation decided to not keeping us "warm".

Robbin

hmmm haven't been here for a while because I had some problems to log in but after some reading topic titels it's not only cold in northwest Europe!

Southwest

It has been cloudy and rained a bit. Which is what it should do in the rain forest. I have been watching the weather reports for places up north. It does not look good.

Here is what our winter day on the equator is forecast to look like tomorrow.

Jan5010.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

38C today. If the seabreeze is late or weak it may get past 40C again.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Upcoming few days here in Melbourne:

27C, 23C, 28C, 36C, 38C, 31C, 38C.... not a hint of rain.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

If you would like a change you could take a flight to Florida. There it will be 27 F at night or so not 27 C.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Staying dry w/ no storm systems in sight into next week. January is a critical month for rainfall in California; snowpack in Sierra Nevada mts is 80% of normal. Otherwise it's warm & mostly sunny.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

If you would like a change you could take a flight to Florida. There it will be 27 F at night or so not 27 C.

dk

Hi Don,

I'll take up that kind offer...... on the proviso it is still valid in 6 months time.... :winkie:

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

I would love to have those temperatures right now! I have to do it with 2-3C today! :(

Southwest

Woke up to 26.4 today. Same expected tonight. I am watching my landscape melt away, but what does it matter? The week is expect to end with 21,22,23,33. This area's tropical look is gone for a few years.

Woke up to 26.4 today. Same expected tonight. I am watching my landscape melt away, but what does it matter? The week is expect to end with 21,22,23,33. This area's tropical look is gone for a few years.

Ditto for Houston, I had 28.8 this morning with 24,22,24 (nws) or 21,25,28 (twc) coming Thu-Sat nights. It'll be interesting, and I'm guessing sad, to see how the older, larger queens around town fare. These, or worse, cold events come around about every 20 years or so here and it's been since 1990, so it's right on time.

This article is quite interesting. Winter of 2009 - 2010. We are back to the 70s weather wise more than likely. It will be interesting to watch this month develop. Although I am watching it from long distance. The rainy season has set in quite nicely here now.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

33C and humid today. Had a min of 22C with peak RH of 81%.

The northern hem cold snap seems to be really severe. I hope the southern hem escapes it in 6 months time. :(

I better go fertilise my coconut so he's nice and healthy when the onslaught begins.

Best regards

Tyrone

The northern hem cold snap seems to be really severe. I hope the southern hem escapes it in 6 months time. :(

I better go fertilise my coconut so he's nice and healthy when the onslaught begins.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

You weather was pretty similar to ours today from what it looks like.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

dk

Yes. :) If only it would consistently stay that way. If only I didn't live in the mid latitudes where the equator and antarctica like to fight there battles. Relative humidity pulsates from low to high over time in the 30 latitudes. We're going for more milder temps and cloudier more humid days for the next few days, before the high swings to the east of us pumping temps up and RH down. Then the heat trough will move inland sucking in moister cooler air from the ocean and repeating the cycle again.

Best regards

Tyrone

First freeze of the year :rage: I have no yard thermometer, but a weather station near me has the official low of 31, so that's probably accurate. Tonight is predicted to freeze again. We have probably had frosts a few days, as all the coconut palms in the area are showing damage from cold. This is way out of the ordinary weather, and yet it's in the 80's in California? We have had many days now where the weather just didn't warm up at all! I'm glad I put all my potted coconuts in the garage, but I'm worried about my big one. If it dies, it dies though... it was only $60 bucks anyway.

No damage on my 4 Beccariophoenix alfredii

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Got down to -6C last night and still below freezing. Last winter was a severe winter, well a severe winter period from 3 weeks but this time looks like winter showing the power more and more. Our west breezes that normally keeping us warm, are not active and water wat keeping us or in this case my are cooling down very fast, so also that influence is going to be away....

So far as I can see in the weather forecast temperatures from -4 to -6 during the nights and temperatures from -1 to +1 for the days...

My first frost was very late this winter, somewhere halfway december so my first thoughts where going to be this a very mild winter again? Well since that time it looks like the frost don't want to go away anymore! I saw that the Cordyline's are dead already or heavely damaged because the snowfall in December.

Robbin

Southwest

Last cards from the GFS run don't making me happy... good thing it's far way so not really something to be sure. This weekend going to be nasty to, windspeeds are getting higher, some light snowfall and temperatures around zero for saturday... brrrrr

Don't know but if also the long term forecast become true, then I think this winter will be the coldest what I can remember.

Since i'm growing exotics I never seen this card below so blue in my area and countries like France en Spain, normally it's the color red what can been seen.

temp4.png

Robbin

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

Just another rainy season cool day.

81°F

RealFeel®

87°F

Winds: ESE

at 2mph

Cloudy

Humidity: 83%

Dew Point: 75° F

Pressure: 29.92 in

Visibility: 10 Miles

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

dk

Yes. :) If only it would consistently stay that way. If only I didn't live in the mid latitudes where the equator and antarctica like to fight there battles. Relative humidity pulsates from low to high over time in the 30 latitudes. We're going for more milder temps and cloudier more humid days for the next few days, before the high swings to the east of us pumping temps up and RH down. Then the heat trough will move inland sucking in moister cooler air from the ocean and repeating the cycle again.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

That is true. We only get the very very tail end of weather moving up from Antarctica and that is in July or August normally. An occaisional cold front will make it this far do die. This year the southeast of Brazil is getting slammed with rain. Since that is where a big part of the nations people live it is making a real mess. São Paulo has been going into traffic gridlock more than usual due to al the water.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Still quite dry\ low dew points but the pattern should break down next week. Rain, however looks unlikely for maybe another 5-7 days but El Nino moisture may be breaking down the ridge\ heights. Feb & March are often the best months for rainfall. Last Jan's drought was followed by a wet Feb of over 6 inches. :mrlooney:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Still cold cold and more cold.

-3.9C here last night as minimum temperature and today close to 0C and wind speeds from 4-5 Beaufort. Not really nice for the feeling, and even stronger at the moment. Since the afternoon sometimes a light snowfall, and possibilities for light snowfall also later this evening and tonight. Good thing about that is, because there is so much clouds temperature would be only -2 or -3 tonight.

Some places in the north and east got already more snow today. I also readed a message from our national weather service that they almost know for sure this winter going into the weather books as a very snowy winter because since half december or maybe better saying since the first frost we have got a lot of snow situations. Also a lot of days that there is snow on the ground, specially the north of our country has got a really white and cold winter so far with very unsual snow heights.

In a personally way this is one of my coldest winters ever since I can remember the winters. I'm for sure that since I have been born there should be some cold and snowy winters to but for the last 10 years I never seen snow on the ground for so many days. Also for my feeling this winter can be one of the coldest because the days are not really mild either, just like last winter.

Let's pray for a very very very mild and sunny winter next time!

Robbin

Southwest

At this moment our National weather service gives a weather alarm for specially the north of the country because there are high windspeeds and snowfalling... almost American weather from the colder states.

It's really sad, because we are don't to be get used for this kind of winterweather there are so many accidents every day again with lots of injured or dead people as results. So many cars has already been damaged, on the news, on pictures, in reallife... every day the actuel weather is "hot" news.

For me they can steal the snow and cold right now, but lots of people has also got fun with ice skating and building some art with snow. A friend of mine posted this pictures on his profile, if the picture is against the rules I will delete them again. :)

840396900_5_aREY.jpeg

Robbin

Southwest

Well Robbin, you are in Holland which has a liberal view of such things.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

my car thermometer today register 30 C - 86 F in the east part of tijuana but by my house more close to the ocean is it only 26 C - 77 F.

i have some nights in this week 17-18 C, 62-64 F for low.

this is warm for this time of the year, we now have more than 1 week of this weather.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

my car thermometer today register 30 C - 86 F in the east part of tijuana but by my house more close to the ocean is it only 26 C - 77 F.

i have some nights in this week 17-18 C, 62-64 F for low.

this is warm for this time of the year, we now have more than 1 week of this weather.

The warm nights are the most distinct characteristic of night wind. My night temps for Jan have been 54F-58F & stay above 60F until well after midnight. Cristóbal', you live in USDA 11 :mrlooney:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

yes it is zone 11 but not some hot zone 11 like mazatlan or cuba - i have 2 small cocos nucifera and 2 delonix regia outside, they dont become yellow in the winter but they grow very very slow 1 december - 1 february. and it is not this in all tijuana, only in my area.

i think it is more better to say it is western zone 24 with some very good microclimate. in this time of the year, 15 december - 15 january most the nights are 10-13C, 50-56F for low temperature. to go below 10C/50F, this dont happen much.

what we need is rain ! we have suficient water here - we now get some water from the ocean with the proces of desalinate - but for my friends north in southern california u.s.a. the situation there is very bad. we have may be only 2 months more for posibility of good rains.

if we dont have good rains this year, this summer is to be very bad for limits of water in southern california i think.

Edited by Cristóbal

I am concerned about this year's wet season. It seems that rainfall is so arbitrary and undependable. El Nino is strong enough to give California Norte & Sur a good rain year but the pattern of ridges shunts the moisture north or south & leaves us dry! Last January was the same but even warmer which is good for palm protection but also bone-dry. Most definitely the water district will call for more cuts this summer & some trees will not get enough to drink. :( February & March are the wettest months so we may end up with plenty of rainfall.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Well so far I'm going to hate the weather of 2010 more and more. Few days ago the forecast show some really mild weather for or area but not it looks like I have to done it with a few days 3-4C during the days and light frost in the nights. Later it looks like it's gettig colder again, freezes so far I can see... defitnely got some dead plants this spring. This going to be the second horrible winter... lets pray next winter will be mild again trough the west winds and sea influence.. :)

Southwest

I have been up in the northern hemispere for a few days north of Manaus in the state of Roraima. It is not raining here like in Manaus as the seasons are opposite. This is the equatorial summer or hemispheric winter, better called the dry season. I drove back down the highway to Manaus 150 kms on business yesterday. On the way back the sun was out and the scene was tropical. I took a few pictures for those of you in cooler climes. I did not notice it at the time, but there was a hawk in the middle of the second picture. Even though it is dry season some moisture is spilling over from south of the equator where I live. Today I will be back in the southern hemisphere.

dk

Jan13174RR.jpg

January13BR1742.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Fantastic photos, Don! Thanks for showing us the Equator! B)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

Since there has been so much bad weather being talked about I thought it would be nice to show just a nice tropical afternoon scene. It was not too hot, not raining, and the scene was great. I am glad you appreciated it. It was actually cool in Manaus yesterday when I got home, it was 27 C during the daytime.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Absolute fantastic pictures! 27C and still call it cool, for us that would be a great summerday... everytime when I see those temperatures I'm still asking myself when I'm going to leave not so bad climate for growing palm trees for a much much and specially warmer climate.

Don't like the cold, and now when winter is much colder then we get used to, I even more hate it then before the real cold.

Robbin

Southwest