IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring has Sprung in southern hemi.

Walter John

Today is Spring Equinox. The day the southern hemisphere reclaims the sun as it's own-for 6 months anyway. :)

Once that sun sits right above the great southern land in the north, then things really start to heat up down here.

Right now, down in SW Oz, we're still being attacked by Antarctica. But in a few days the sun will fight off Antarctica and send it back to the 90S region where it belongs, the great ice hole at the bottom of the Earth.

Winter fever. :wacko::blink::unsure:

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone,

So the sun is pretty much straight over my head right now.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Strong to gale force NW winds forecast here tomorrow. I can't imagine the bangalow palms will enjoy it.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Well after another crappy blowy wet and cool day yesterday a high has finally moved in and cleared the skies. It's not hot by any means. It's only 18C and we had an overnight min of 4C, but the ground heating ability of the sun makes all the difference. Tomorrow we go for 22C and then on Sun a 25C day which will feel like 45C after we've spent so long in winter and forgotten what heat is. After this we go back into a winter pattern, but at least the highs are starting to move west to east again and sinking further south. October is looking to be completely rainless for SW Oz, which could mean that the high's will hang around south of us and let us heat up a bit. If we get direct northerlies for any length of time we can hit high 30's in Oct, which will really be a shock to the system. I'm hoping that doesn't happen for the sake of the poor plants who have been in the fridge for the last 14 weeks. To be shoved in the incinerator in a few weeks would definitely do some damage, not to mention do my head in. :wacko:

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Still hot here and the rain is more miss than hit... :rolleyes: . If no rain soon, there might be casualties with this heat!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Right temps here, wrong rainfall, there isn't any.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

September 2009 will go down as warmer than usual and loving it. Where are the rain gods?

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

We're getting some gale force gusts this morning (the westerlies are late this year)

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Well after a totally rubbish Sept, Spring has just woken up on Oct 1. A sunny but cool 19C day, but slowly warming to 25C and more normal Oct weather by mid next week.

We had a 27C day in Sept only to fall back to a 13.5C max (nearly a record) two days later. As far as tropical plants are concerned September 2009 should never have happened and was a right off. More miserable than winter proper, and with less warm spots than August 2009 when I actually thought winter had come to an end. How wrong I was.

Now to make best use of this growing season. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

I haven't seen a forecast for here like this in what seems ages. Yaeeeee. Spring is here, and the weather turns right when I thought it would, around Oct 8. For some reason the warm weather switch gets flicked on the week of Oct 8.

The season we call winter is now gone. :)

Forecast for Friday

Fine and partly cloudy. Light to moderate NE winds tending moderate NW in the

afternoon.

Precis: Fine, partly cloudy.

City: Min 7 Max 21

Mandurah: Min 11 Max 19

UV Alert: 9:10 am to 3:10 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 7 [High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Saturday Early shower then fine. Min 11 Max 20

Sunday Fine. Min 7 Max 22

Monday Fine. Min 9 Max 24

Tuesday Fine. Min 10 Max 26

Wednesday Fine. Min 11 Max 28

Thursday Fine. Min 12 Max 28

Best regards

Tyrone :)

Forecast maxima for tomorrow:

Wollongong 16c

Sydney 17c

Newcastle 18c

Taree 21c

Port Macquarie 24c

Coffs Harbour 29c

Grafton 32c

Lismore 34c

Tweed Heads 29c

Brisbane 33c

Do I detect a trend here?

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Not only that, but there is a fire weather warning N of Grafton, but moderate to heavy rain forecast for S of Port Macquarie.

NSW-state of contrasts.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Spring's here now. The sun has warmth, palms are a growing. Rednecks are popping open new spears. Foxy Ladies are opening new spears, and coconut came through winter growing at a pace like winter never happened. The garden needs a good cleanup after the winter winds and cold fronts have spread branches and leaves everywhere in the understory. Even after all the rain we had, the understory is now bone dry. All the canopy tends to deflect anything but heavy rain away. I need to now make sure all my irrigation is working properly.

Best regards

Tyrone

A real stinker here today. Got to 35 and the humidity was so low that it wouldnt even register on the hygrometer !!! The hot winds didnt help either. I am not getting anything done outside now. Every spare daylight hour is spent hand watering. I curse the restrictions with all my cursossitive powers, but I am not game enough to flaunt them too flagrantly as I have had 2 please explain visits from the water inspectors. (yes another job for the boys no doubt) Poor Tojo's Revenge is getting fried out in the driveway because the carport and the shady approaches leading to it, are jam packed with pot plants, to keep them out of the blazing sun. Dunno if this is global warming or whatever, all I know is that I am so fed up with it all.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Peachy those hot dry conditions are worse than a cold winter, and do damage much quicker in my experience. Last March we had a 39C windy day with RH around 5%, and I watered and misted all the undercanopy so that nothing dried out. Anyway I had a D lastelliana in the understory in shade about 2m tall in the ground which I had for about 4 years, and after that day it was falling over like it had totally dried out. It later stood up again, but one by one dropped every leaf back to the spear. It's now a spear that hasn't moved in 7 months, and I don't believe it will recover as I think it's clinically dead. I actually had water pooling around it's base, and it still wasn't enough. When those sort of things happen, I feel like I just want to punch something, like the weatherman. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, I know what you mean. I had 6 years of this type of weather out on the Darling Downs when I lived there. I find that if I mulch very heavily one of two things happen. It stays moist enough to protect all but the tips of the pinnae, or the trunks rot and the palm snuffs it anyhow. Usually the former luckily. The paling fence at the back has gaps between the palings, stupid idea as it cuts down on the privacy as well as being ineffective as a windbreak. I was thinking of getting some bamboo panels to nail over it, though I will give quick climbers one last chance first. I made a mistake early on with the siting of my frond-branch-deaduns pile. I put it near the fence up in the back corner, right where the wind comes through the worst. No problem with the easterlies, the front fence is well vegetated. A 3.5 metre high bougainvillea (about 8 metres across) takes the worst of it, then a bauhini galpinii and a plumbago take care of the rest. I did notice however that the shady areas were at least 5 degrees cooler than the open areas. My microclimate must be forming at last. Shame about the D. lastelliana, they are so damned slow, it will not be easy to replace. A surprise was my D. ambositrae (the same one as pictured in the PACSOA site) It was 30 or so cms high 6 months ago when I bought it, its now 85 !! Also my Areca triandra that stayed about 20 cms in pots for 5 years or so, have grown 15cms in the 6 weeks since I planted then. On the downside, my Arenga pinnata that has been thriving, isnt looking good at all. 2 dead fronds and the biggest spear it has ever thrown are dead. I love that palm too. Oh well, excrement occurs.

Peachy

27.35 south.

We have a few days like that, although just a tad bit more humid than 5% (thank goodness...). At the moment, we are experiencing above 35deg temperature, but RH of 60%. It is very uncomfortable, but at least the palms don't keel over.. Usually we would be getting afternoon storm by now... it brings down the temperature 10 deg cooler (amazing!!), but we have been missing out. So, the bore is on every day, until we have good supply of rain again.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's been cold, cloudy and miserable here this weekend, but we've had some much needed rain.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

I can't believe after winter how much of my garden is bone dry. I've had a few palms get so close to death as one of my solenoids has failed and I only noticed yesterday. I may lose some. I've just been so busy and didn't expect the garden to be so dry. Last weekend I was away and we had a 27C day, and I thought the garden would be OK with the retic on, but with a failed solenoid no water came out. I've got so much to do in the garden. We've gone from cold unseasonal weather in Sept to what may be warm weather in a week or so away. Perth normally gets 2 or 3 weeks of spring and then just flips into summer, but with no usable time in Sept, the preparation for this growing season has been greatly reduced.

Best regards

Tyrone

It is really annoying when reticulation failed. I have lost a few because of sprinkler failure... I hope you can save whatever it is, Tyrone... We have to do sprinkler check at least once a week to make sure everything is getting watered and no sprinklers getting blocked.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I replaced the solenoid today. I think I might lose one of my Ptychosperma microcarpum's. My large tree fern is howing stress too. Anyway to help the plants with a bit of a drink, I put on my two knocker sprinklers lastnight for two hours on the bore. That gets the back part of the backyard nice and moist. I need to heavily amend the soil again. All the goodness I've been putting on has kind of been used up, and I'm starting to revert back to water repellant sand in areas.

It got to 24C today.

Best regards

Tyrone

Had 25mm of rain over the weekend

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

More showers, storms and possible small hail tomorrow- more like Melbourne in winter.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

More showers, storms and possible small hail tomorrow- more like Melbourne in winter.

You're getting what the west coast had last week. Antarctica is still biting hard. Going from low 30's to mid teens must be hurting. The contrast would be horrific. At least when we had our cold spell we hadn't had any warm weather first. We're having nice weather now, but the rains back over the weekend.

Besst regards

Tyrone

As I was driving around town yesterday I noticed that the temperature was at 42 C at about 1530 in the afternoon. That is too hot. El Niño is making things real dry around here.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

What would I give to get some wild, rainy weather! I have had 20mm in 4 months here (and that was in one night)...please rain! Feels like I live in a desert.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Be careful what you wish for Daryl. It can rain hard in SE QLD as you know.

24C and sunny today. A bit of mild rain and humidity over the weekend and slightly cooler conditions then back to warmish weather again. I'm keeping an eye out for the first big high to get stuck in the Bight and direct hot air over the west. It should be due in the next fortnight. Hopefully by then everything will be ready for it in the garden.

Best regards

Tyrone

Well after a few week of hit and miss rain... (more miss than hit at my place), we are back to dry season weather for a week now... The overnight low is around 20deg and the days were pleasant... not so much for the garden... The bore has been going every day.... Hopefully the dry surge will pass soon before I get really cranky!!

Although, the plants in the ground are looking good, although a bit burnt... :blink: . I really hate this time of the year.... The potted ones.... hhhmmmmm.....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, do you put your potted ones in trays of water? That's what I'm trying this year.

Best regards

Tyrone

I don't have enough trays..... I hope I won't loose anything. They just have to survive until the end of the month. By November, we should be getting more afternoon storm (touch wood).

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Still no sign of much needed rain here but that rotten cold afternoon wind arrives on the dot of 4 every day. All the usual garden jobs are on hold as every minute is spent watering. The ground is like brick so no point trying to plant anything even if I could make a hole a hole in it. Weather is all over the place, lows 30s one day and low 20s the next. Same with the overnight temps. Had to unpack the winter nighties again, but the other night it was warm and I had to get the summer things out. Spring is always awful here but this year takes the cake I think

Peachy

27.35 south.

Yes... what you call Spring is no fun here either. That is when I loose most of my stuff!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yes Ari, the dead bodies are piling up around here too lately. Looks like my compost heap will be a contender for the Guiness Book of Records at this rate. I got so much through winter only to have it curl up and croak when the weather warmed up. Sometimes a nice geranium collection is so tempting because I am starting to get very fed up with rotten weather and temperamental palms.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Yeah... .carpies wouldn't die in this heat either...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

You mean carpies actually LIVE for you ?

Peachy

27.35 south.

No.. not for me. I killed them before they grow anywhere near my property...lol. Yes, they are native to the area, that is why they are growing like weeds.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Sounds like my place and queen palms. I dig out seedlings by the 100s. Well them and the neighbours rotten tipuana tipus that seed here by the truckload.

Peachy

27.35 south.

We had the first decent rainy night and daytime in about 4 months today. I hope that the seasons are starting to flip into the rainy one. I am getting tired of the mass of heat hanging over the city.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Tell me about it Don... This heat is getting too much!! I know it is only mid Oct, so hopefully we can get more frequent rain by the end of the month...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Forecast for here is tipped to hit 30C by Saturday. :) Time to start revving up the Dwarf Malay again. It warm nough to start feeding and watering him again. Make him big fat and strong. :)

A bit cool today. It may hit 20C, but it's sunny. But by Tuesday the heat starts to move back in and most likely stay here for a good while now.

Best regards

Tyrone